Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass

Steam News announces the release of a new patch to automatically update Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Valve's teamplay shooter. Though a rumor emerged yesterday that this would include some sort of season pass to financially compensate community map authors, the patch contains no such feature. VG247 points to a follow-up on PCGamesN saying they've discovered strings mocking their scoop: "CSGO_Ticket_CommunitySeasonOneSpring2013_Leak" and "lol."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 23, 2013, 12:38 descender

By this logic you haven't played a new FPS since... Wolf3D?

You already answered your own question... Valve is still clearly putting work into the Source engine, and people buying CS:GO are paying for those updates. People playing CS:S are not getting those updates at all.

You can't say it's the same game when the feature sets are in fact, different.

One of the basic concepts of the Source engine is that they can update these systems and you, as the end user editing levels in Hammer, never sees a difference. That is by design.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 23, 2013, 04:42 Muscular Beaver

NigerianRoyalty wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 22:32:
CS:GO is an entirely new game if you consider the gameplay considerably changed by virtue of its new and exciting recoil / hit detection model. You know, the one where any level of consistency from practice is thrown out the window and pub servers are dominated by people running and spraying with the P90.

That happened in CS 1.6 too. The P90 was autoheadshot, just not on distances, as is the new one.
Now, the Negev is a totally different issue. That thing is far too strong and used too much. Put someone good with one in a corridor, and he will own 10 people in a row.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

19. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 22:32 NigerianRoyalty

CS:GO is an entirely new game if you consider the gameplay considerably changed by virtue of its new and exciting recoil / hit detection model. You know, the one where any level of consistency from practice is thrown out the window and pub servers are dominated by people running and spraying with the P90.  

18. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 18:38 Slick

(i'm just gonna reply here to your post in the other CS thread...)

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 14:14:
Slick... You can only be so wrong.

Off the top of my head they've completely revamped the lighting system, and I'm almost certain they have added other newer features to it as well. Source is a modular game engine (one of it's more celebrated features) and has seen updates to different systems with every new game release. Then after that game releases they usually even go back and patch the features into the older source games like they did with HDR lighting.

The Source engine that launched with HL2 and the Source engine that launched with Portal 2 are very different things.

"if you liked CS:S then why not just play that?"
Because it's not "just the same game" as much as you want to believe it is. It has new game modes, textures, interface, a newer version of the source engine and tons of other updates that CS:S is not getting. If you want all of that new content then you have to buy CS:GO.

You seem intent as writing off these newer versions of CS as if they haven't changed the game at all in 15 years. They all play very differently. Your lack of experience with that is showing.

actually i play competitively for 20ID, also i've helped build a large-scale mod for HL2. www.torontoconflict.com so actually i do know what i'm talking about, i'd wager that i have more experience than you're giving me credit for. You worked with Hammer before? i've put in years with the Source editor, i know what i'm talking about.

Source has been updated, yes, i stated this clearly, but it's the same core engine. they updated the lighting system, yes, %90 of everything else is the same. That's like saying that this year's CoD game engine is "new" because they added texture streaming. no it isn't, it's the same engine they've been using for years, they make small incremental updates every year to try and get the most life out of it because it's hella expensive to code a new engine from scratch. watch for Valve's ACTUAL new engine with after the launch of the new consoles.

also, re: the game counterstrike. can you honestly tell me that this isn't at least %90 "THE SAME"?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJDyxzOcrSs

how is new textures = new game? it's the same gameplay, same levels (with incredibly small variations), same guns (with a couple exceptions), same shit. You have to admit that if they re-released game A 9 years later, called it "new" and slapped some new textures on it, using the same base engine, then no one would put up with it. but cause it's valve, they can do no wrong. i'll never understand gamers.

never heard of another title that's pulled this off. what it really is is "Counterstrike HD" it's an "HD remake" if you wanna use buzz words like that. many other games have done this, that's fine. "HD remake" is a world apart from "new game". i mean shit people said that 2142 was just a "mod" for BF2, and that it was essentially the same game. really? not at all! same core engine yes (with incremental improvements) but completely different game. new locations, maps, guns, vehicles, game modes, titans, mechs, hover sleds = new game. Couterstrike:GO with new textures and an updated lighting system does not = new game.

17. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 18:15 Slick

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 13:58:
Slick... There is a big moral difference between planned, pre-launch DLC packs and a company continuing work on a game after it's launch to release new content. Things they already used your initial purchase $ to work on but did not include in the product they sold you (such as on disk DLC packs, or the pre-planned multiplayer map packs that seem to be popular as of late). A "season DLC" pack also carries this negative connotation because of what other companies have done with them (or more specifically... not done).

yea, i agree that day-1 DLC is awful. that's like the devs pissing in your mouth. no argument there. people were talking about DLCs by publishers in general, which is a pretty sweeping indictment of the common practice the entire industry has been doing for more than 20 years...putting out post-launch content. I can't even think of the last game which has had 0 post launch content by the developers, weather they be small booster packs, community maps, whole xpack, etc.

BIG difference between post-launch content produced by the dev studio that built the game, and Day-1 DLC that's sometimes even included "on the disc". This is awful, and i've never bought a game which does this, i've never voted with my money that this is a good business practice.

But something to keep in mind is that pretty much all post launch content (NOT DAY-1 DLC which could be considered essential for the "core game experience") is definately planned out months in advance, most studios have several teams which are employed all year round. You don't fire 1/3rd of your staff and then re-hire them after you launch a game. this is not how studios are run. ask anyone here who has experience in the industry. Teams are staggered throughout the work year to make sure that EVERYONE in the office has something to work on all year round. When 1 team is making xpacks for BF3, the coreteam is building BF4. this is just how game studios operate. it's not evil, it's quite pragmatic.

16. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 16:40 El Pit

Leeloo, sea-son-pass.

I understand the season pass as a replacement of the good, old expansion (at about the same price). But my problem with the sp is that it does not include all the dlcs. If the publisher would change this, I'd much rather buy the expansion (or the sp) in advance. So a bit less greed would actually help sales, at least in my case.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

15. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 15:50 TheEmissary

I really doubt that this "Season pass" will be required to play any of the community or Valve maps. In TF2 they had a way of optionally rewarding map/mod developers by buying stamps or other items from the store. I don't think CS would tolerate new weapons but I can see player/weapon skins and other cosmetics being fine. I have a feeling the "season pass" probably refers to a certain skin or cosmetic item that is only available during that "season" of a community pack. Just like in TF2 you had to buy stamps to get a certain hat that added particle effects on the maps you supported.  

14. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 14:49 Verno

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 14:21:
Season passes are not inherently cash grabs... but you have to know the companies track records that you are dealing with.

You could easily make out on the deal if a company charges you $5 for a "season pass" and then releases 5 DLC packs that they charge $2 a piece for... It's all a matter of who you trust to deliver you value.

Valve has never failed to deliver on "value" in my eyes and done nothing otherwise to me personally to shake that trust, but if a company like Bioware or EA offers something like this I will promptly laugh in their faces.

Exactly. It always amuses me when the EA defenders come out of the woodwork to say how people should treat them like any other publisher when their track record consistently proves otherwise. I have no problem dealing with modern industry concepts like DLC, passes, etc, it's a changed industry but that doesn't mean I accept them from every company who offers them as history is very important and silly to ignore as a consumer.

Valve is probably the one company I would trust to handle season passes right with the caveat that it shouldn't be Valve themselves in charge of the actual production of the content since they are super slow

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

13. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 14:21 descender

Season passes are not inherently cash grabs... but you have to know the companies track records that you are dealing with.

You could easily make out on the deal if a company charges you $5 for a "season pass" and then releases 5 DLC packs that they charge $2 a piece for... It's all a matter of who you trust to deliver you value.

Valve has never failed to deliver on "value" in my eyes and done nothing otherwise to me personally to shake that trust, but if a company like Bioware or EA offers something like this I will promptly laugh in their faces.

12. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 14:15 bhcompy

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:16:

The real problem here is that you guys see the words "season pass DLC" and your brains glaze over.

Helping to support your mod/map community is the exact opposite of evil practices like that.

Season passes are evil, shitty cash grabs. If they want to allow people to purchase maps, not make a subscription, I have no problem with that.

11. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 14:02 descender

it does not affect the game in any meaningful way

Verno, I would only disagree slightly here... because if you frequent the same servers often it does become a method of identifying individual players. You quickly start to notice which "regulars" have certain hats or weapons, and you can gain tactical advantage in some situations with this knowledge... or learn who to avoid if they frequently kill you

So technically... in their own way... all these "crazy items" that people claim to have ruined TF2 have actually made it an incredibly deeper experience.

10. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 13:58 descender

Slick... There is a big moral difference between planned, pre-launch DLC packs and a company continuing work on a game after it's launch to release new content. Things they already used your initial purchase $ to work on but did not include in the product they sold you (such as on disk DLC packs, or the pre-planned multiplayer map packs that seem to be popular as of late). A "season DLC" pack also carries this negative connotation because of what other companies have done with them (or more specifically... not done).

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 14:06.

9. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 13:36 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:50:
You mean the massive amount of unique game-modes and large scale maps with dozens of paths?

.. oh wait But ok, I meant more like "What it means to most people" not what it means to actual gamers of TF2. There are a LOT of trader-only people on TF2 who's only goal is to annoy the shit out of anyone who plays TF2 and gets a unique hat.

No clue what you're talking about, there are a ton of great maps and TF2 is free anyway, no one is making you play it if you dislike it. If you don't like hats that's fine because it's optional shit for people who care, it does not affect the game in any meaningful way.

8. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 13:27 Slick

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:16:

If they started releasing valve-made official maps and charging for those, I could somewhat understand the misgivings... but it's not like they were talking about releasing BF:CODBLOPS17 with pre-planned DLC at launch. That's actually evil. That's actually worth a few (hundred thousand) complaints.

Helping to support your mod/map community is the exact opposite of evil practices like that.

so paying community map makers making post launch maps for their time, effort, skill, creativity, and dedication is THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO.

paying developers making post launch maps for their time, effort, skill, creativity, and dedication is THE EPITOME OF EVIL.

sorry, you lost me. come again?

7. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 eRe4s3r

You mean the massive amount of unique game-modes and large scale maps with dozens of paths?

.. oh wait But ok, I meant more like "What it means to most people" not what it means to actual gamers of TF2. There are a LOT of trader-only people on TF2 who's only goal is to annoy the shit out of anyone who plays TF2 and gets a unique hat.

6. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 12:44 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:36:
You mean the TF2.. that trading card game from Valve?

because it sure seems like that's all TF2 is lately.

Except for the absurd amount of playable content in the game.

5. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 12:40 Muscular Beaver

Did they at least fix the rebuy key finally?  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

4. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 12:36 eRe4s3r

You mean the TF2.. that trading card game from Valve?

because it sure seems like that's all TF2 is lately.

3. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 12:16 descender

Would it be that shocking to find out that Valve is trying to replicate what they have done for the TF2 community contributors? It's so "not shocking" that I'm almost surprised they haven't done so already!

The real problem here is that you guys see the words "season pass DLC" and your brains glaze over.

This entire ordeal (hoax, troll, whatever) revolved around them enabling the CS community of map makers to be compensated for their efforts in a fairly painless fashion.

If they started releasing valve-made official maps and charging for those, I could somewhat understand the misgivings... but it's not like they were talking about releasing BF:CODBLOPS17 with pre-planned DLC at launch. That's actually evil. That's actually worth a few (hundred thousand) complaints.

2. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Patch Has No Season Pass Mar 22, 2013, 11:01 eRe4s3r

The fanboys and fangirls will see "unique hat" and buy it instantly.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo