Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied

Irrational Games' Ken Levine has taken to Twitter to deny a report from the New York Times on the budget for BioShock Infinite, Irrational's upcoming first-person shooter prequel. The Times quotes an unnamed analyst saying the game will end up costing $200 million, divided equally between development and marketing. As hard as it is to imagine a paper nicknamed "The Old Gray Lady" could be off-base about video games, Levine indicates this story is inaccurate, saying: "200 million for Infinite? Did someone send some checks to the wrong address? #unnamedanalyst." He follows sarcastically: "Analyst: @IGLevine 's American girl doll collection cost 200 million." Also, VG247 notes that IGN's review exclusivity has scored them a Waking Up in Columbia trailer and a Columbia Raffle and Fair trailer, each with gameplay walkthroughs narrated by Ken.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 11:59 SpectralMeat

Some nice friends you got there  

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 11:58 Verno

A friend of mine is a dirty PS3 pirate and has been playing the leaked version, it's a pretty good game from my position on the couch so I hope it does perform well sales wise.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

9. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 11:56 Techie714 ©

From what I recall a few years back I read that a AAA title usually averages between 35-75 million with MMO's costing way more. I'm going to take a guess & say this one is probably closer to 75 million with marketing, devilment, etc. Just my shot in the dark!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

8. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 11:53 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:11:
I just don't see this selling 10s of millions of copies.

Creston

I don't think they'll have to sell that many to make it back.

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 11:48 ASeven

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:11:
nin wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:22:
They have to deny it, or the shareholders would have a fucking stroke.

Yeah, no shit.

If it really cost that much, though, they're going to lose so much money. I just don't see this selling 10s of millions of copies.

This is the biggest problem with the gaming industry today, rising development costs that are quickly approaching insane and impossible to sustain levels. When SWTOR was $300M, probably more, to develop then you know something is very wrong with this business model. No game should ever cost that much, nor should it come close to $100M. It speaks of a flawed model and flawed management at publishers.

6. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 11:11 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:22:

Yeah, no shit.

If it really cost that much, though, they're going to lose so much money. I just don't see this selling 10s of millions of copies.

Creston

5. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 10:50 Verno

"Financial analyst" talking out of his ass, no way they spent that on this game.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

4. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 09:32 InBlack

I wish I had studied marketing...easy as fuck courses...pretty blonde coeds...high paid job opportunities....

Now that I think about some of the marketing people I know from my company (and others) they are some of the most miserable, stuck up assholes I have ever met...so erm...*phew*

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 09:26 Kajetan

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:19:
I donít see this being true, I donít know how anyone could possibly spend 200 Million on developing and advertising a game.
Star Wars: The Old Republic (150-200 Mio + marketing)
GTA 4 had a budget around 100 Mio. Dollar (with marketing)
Halo 3 is said to had a marketing budget of 100 Mio. alone

Triple A nowadays is expensive. VERY EXPENSIVE! And lets not forget a more and more saturated market, which leads straight to higher and higher marketing costs.

So, could it be true? 200 mio. for Infinity? Well, its not unlikely any more ...

2. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 09:22 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 09:19 Darks

I donít see this being true, I donít know how anyone could possibly spend 200 Million on developing and advertising a game. You would be pretty much out of your mind to do that. I look at games and wonder how anyone could possibly spend 10 or 20 million on developing a game. Most likely this is just a rumor.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo