Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied

Irrational Games' Ken Levine has taken to Twitter to deny a report from the New York Times on the budget for BioShock Infinite, Irrational's upcoming first-person shooter prequel. The Times quotes an unnamed analyst saying the game will end up costing $200 million, divided equally between development and marketing. As hard as it is to imagine a paper nicknamed "The Old Gray Lady" could be off-base about video games, Levine indicates this story is inaccurate, saying: "200 million for Infinite? Did someone send some checks to the wrong address? #unnamedanalyst." He follows sarcastically: "Analyst: @IGLevine 's American girl doll collection cost 200 million." Also, VG247 notes that IGN's review exclusivity has scored them a Waking Up in Columbia trailer and a Columbia Raffle and Fair trailer, each with gameplay walkthroughs narrated by Ken.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 13:53 Zyrxil

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:19:
I donít see this being true, I donít know how anyone could possibly spend 200 Million on developing and advertising a game. You would be pretty much out of your mind to do that. I look at games and wonder how anyone could possibly spend 10 or 20 million on developing a game. Most likely this is just a rumor.

CoD:MW 3 had a 50 million budget and 150 million advertising budget.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 11:10 swedishfriend

Looks like Bioshock sold close to 6 million units so far. That has to be a commercial success for such a small game.  

29. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 10:10 netnerd85

nin wrote on Mar 23, 2013, 00:02:
Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 22:03:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 20:18:
Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 18:44:
Anyway, this game has had the stink of failure on it for a long time now and they know it. I'd suspect they're probably in sheer panic mode at Irrational right now.

Are you insane? Just look at the production values of this game & the developer behind it. This game will be a large success just like Bioshock was. It's clear with that statement you dont have a long history of gaming....
Ken Levine has a solid record

Yes, I'm only right about everything 99% of the time, but I am mistaken now and then, but not about this.

Your near constant negativity is becoming a real downer...

Yeah, what's wrong Cutter? what's going on? anything up man?

Anything serious or do you just need your hair pulled? or need to pull someone elses? (I'm NOT offering btw)

28. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 01:43 jdreyer

I think the game will be a critical success, but not a commercial one. Just like the original, which was outsold by the first Ass Creed.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 23, 2013, 00:02 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 22:03:
Anyway, this game has had the stink of failure on it for a long time now and they know it. I'd suspect they're probably in sheer panic mode at Irrational right now.

Are you insane? Just look at the production values of this game & the developer behind it. This game will be a large success just like Bioshock was. It's clear with that statement you dont have a long history of gaming....

Yes, I'm only right about everything 99% of the time, but I am mistaken now and then, but not about this.

Your near constant negativity is becoming a real downer...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

26. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 23:43 Prez

I think that this may be one of the times you miss the mark - this game is looking really impressive to me. I am certainly excited about it myself.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 22:03 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 20:18 Techie714 ©

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

23. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 19:45 jdreyer

Yeah, don't forget the marketing budgets on games like COD, Halo, etc. are 100+ mil alone. That's fucking insanity. Anyway, this game has had the stink of failure on it for a long time now and they know it. I'd suspect they're probably in sheer panic mode at Irrational right now.

I agree that they won't make their budget back the first week, for sure. But this game is going to have a long tail, so they should make it back eventually.

22. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 19:15 siapnar

ASeven wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:48:
This is the biggest problem with the gaming industry today, rising development costs that are quickly approaching insane and impossible to sustain levels. When SWTOR was $300M, probably more, to develop then you know something is very wrong with this business model. No game should ever cost that much, nor should it come close to $100M. It speaks of a flawed model and flawed management at publishers.

Fully agree. No game should ever amount to that much in costs.

Movies? Maybe...

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 19:52.

I have projectile dysfunction.

21. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 18:44 Cutter

Yeah, don't forget the marketing budgets on games like COD, Halo, etc. are 100+ mil alone. That's fucking insanity. Anyway, this game has had the stink of failure on it for a long time now and they know it. I'd suspect they're probably in sheer panic mode at Irrational right now.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

20. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 17:49 Prez

Even with the delays and rumored troubled development, I just don't see this number from "an unnamed analyst" being even close to accurate.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 15:35 netnerd85

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 15:30:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 15:21:
The old "my friend" not me routine.

Your friend wrote that post, not you Happy2
It was! how did you know? are you friends with my friend dorothy?

18. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 15:30 Verno

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 15:21:

Your friend wrote that post, not you Happy2

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

17. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 15:27 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah I trust that story from NYT's about as much as I trust their history to not have hired several people who were also serial plagiarizers.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 15:21 netnerd85

15. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 15:11 jdreyer

Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:19:
I donít see this being true, I donít know how anyone could possibly spend 200 Million on developing and advertising a game. You would be pretty much out of your mind to do that. I look at games and wonder how anyone could possibly spend 10 or 20 million on developing a game. Most likely this is just a rumor.

COD:MW2 cost $200m for production and marketing, a quarter of that to actually making the game.

I don't think Infinite cost that much to make, nor do I see the massive marketing blitz that I saw for MW2. They're probably spending $60m in all, probably half of that on making the game. Infinite has been in production for four years, after all.

Chris Taylor said that SupCom 1 & 2 cost $10m each to make. That's probably more typical for games.

14. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 12:22 Verno

I wish, I updated my old PS3 and it can't be downgraded without a NAND flasher. I'd be livestreaming if it was me, I can't help myself  

13. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 12:16 Darks

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:11:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:59:
Some nice friends you got there

Haha I know how it sounds but if it was me I'd have more to say about it, I've only seen him play for about 2 hours. Game looked pretty damned cool though, I'm going over there tonight to watch more.

Come on Verno, just admit it, your the dirty pirate

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

12. Re: BioShock Infinite Budget Rumor Denied Mar 22, 2013, 12:11 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:59:
Some nice friends you got there

Haha I know how it sounds but if it was me I'd have more to say about it, I've only seen him play for about 2 hours. Game looked pretty damned cool though, I'm going over there tonight to watch more.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo