Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 23, 2013, 13:24 Linksil

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 14:04:
As ridiculous as the WoT series got, you got to admit the friken guy could write a damn good story. Those first few books were simply amazing, then he just introduced way too many characters... shit was half expecting an entire book on the friken chambermaid. I gave up at Path of Daggers, will finish up reading the story at some point... did it get finished up good ? or is the stuff after Jordan bad?

You can tell Jordan sped up the books nearing the end of his writing. Also you have the remember the ones pub'ed after his death still had a lot of his writing/structure in it. I know the ending of the series(last battle and chaps) he almost compleatly wrote before he died. I think books 6,7,8 felt the worst to me because of pacing and filler. It has been so long though i'll have to go back and reread it all one day. I remember before he was terminal he talked about going and exploring the whole other side of the ocean in 2-3 books, you can almost tell "insert 3 books here" in the last book he wrote.

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 22:08 Redmask

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 22:06:
Then why don't you shut up and actually try reading them before making such a dick comment. Yeah, only some of the best authors in SF/Fantasy have contributed stories to that series but that obviously doesn't mean anything because you don't like the cover art. Fucking jackass.

You lecturing me about dick comments is pretty rich. I thumbed through it for awhile because with a cover like that you just want to see if they're taking the piss or not. It was pretty much everything the cover indicated it would be.

Now Zelazny on the other hand was a great writer, particularly his short stories.

18. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 22:06 Cutter

Redmask wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 21:51:
I love the Wild Cards books

I hope you mean this as a joke or something. I looked at one which featured a leatherclad hulk atop a motorcycle with a sword and just laughed my ass off. It looks like fantasy for 13 years olds and considering the quality of fantasy sometimes that's saying something.

Then why don't you shut up and actually try reading them before making such a dick comment. Yeah, only some of the best authors in SF/Fantasy have contributed stories to that series but that obviously doesn't mean anything because you don't like the cover art. Fucking jackass.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 21:51 Redmask

I love the Wild Cards books

I hope you mean this as a joke or something. I looked at one which featured a leatherclad hulk atop a motorcycle with a sword and just laughed my ass off. It looks like fantasy for 13 years olds and considering the quality of fantasy sometimes that's saying something.

16. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 19:26 PHJF

King sat on his hands (well, not really) for like fifty years and Dark Tower STILL had an absolutely terrible ending.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 19:00 Cutter

The WoT concept was a great one. Interesting world and cast of characters from the Aiel to the bad guys. All the needless padding and fluff destroyed that series. I think it was around book 4 or 5 I finally gave up on it.

Unlike Jordan however George has his fingers in a lot of other pies beside GoT and that's fair play. I love the Wild Cards books. Who wants to work on the same stuff all the time. And while he may have been able to force himself to finish GoT faster it wouldn't be as good. It has to come organically - phrasing.

That's probably why Zelazny is still my fave writer. No unnecessary, extraneous bullshit, just good characterization.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 16:05 Verno

PHJF wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 15:56:
Prince of Nothing is pretty fucking impregnable. I'm like ~15% into book one and have no idea what the fuck is going on. Bakker just keeps throwing Proper Nouns at the page without a hint of what the fuck any of it means.

It's pretty damned dense at times but sort of evens out later. Unfortunately the story and characters never get there, he is very bad at giving characters individuality, everyone is cut from the same geo-political scheming cloth for the most part and there are constant magical revelations and insights into other characters minds every other page. Bakker reminds me a lot of Glen Cook at his worst (Instrumentalities of the Night ughhh)

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

13. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 15:56 PHJF

Prince of Nothing is pretty fucking impregnable. I'm like ~15% into book one and have no idea what the fuck is going on. Bakker just keeps throwing Proper Nouns at the page without a hint of what the fuck any of it means.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 15:00 jdreyer

Weird, I loved book 4 and read it the fastest of all the books. Book 5 is dragging for me.

GRRM apparently has given a rough outline of where the story should go to the creators of the HBO series, so they can finish it up in case he dies.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 14:04 Yosemite Sam

As ridiculous as the WoT series got, you got to admit the friken guy could write a damn good story. Those first few books were simply amazing, then he just introduced way too many characters... shit was half expecting an entire book on the friken chambermaid. I gave up at Path of Daggers, will finish up reading the story at some point... did it get finished up good ? or is the stuff after Jordan bad?

Jordan is the primary reason I never touch unfinished stories ever again, so I've not read any of Martins stuff. I just look for old stuff or books that are complete stories, recently went through Eddings and Feists works.

I've probably mentioned it here before but if you're into fantasy I highly recommend L.E Modesitt Jr. He has a slew of books all based in the same world but each book is a fully self contained story.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

10. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 13:47 Verno

Sanderson is frustrating because his world building is top notch and he's got a great work ethic but his writing is very mechanical and his characterization sucks. He also has a bad habit to be overly descriptive with fight scenes to the point of exasperation. I do respect that's hes really in touch with his fan base and is apparently a very nice guy but I feel like Kelsier is the only character he's ever written that's worth a damn. I really want to like Sandersons stuff because elements of it are really well done but it just never seems to come together as a package. He sure as hell writes a lot though so for fans that works out well, I think he'll have published more than Martin by next year.  

9. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 13:29 Necrophob

InBlack wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:56:
Jordan sucked though, I read the first five novels and gave up after that.

The first 5 books were the best. After that, I think he was just prolonging the series for a payday. When he realized he was dying, he finally started to tighten the story up again and move it along (A Knife of Dreams), but by then, it was took late.

I like Brandon Sanderson, but haven't been able to get into his entries into the Wheel of Time series.

8. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 12:00 PropheT

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:30:
Jordan sucked huh? Well I beg to differ, he was as good as Martin is.

For the first 4 books of the WoT series, maybe, but after that? You could literally skip two or three books and still read the next without feeling lost.

Then again, book 4 of Martin's series is completely forgettable at best. At least the fifth was better, if slow-paced at times; it felt like it was going somewhere. If he manages a 6th book that goes nowhere I might agree with you, but I don't see that happening. Unfortunately it's obvious it won't happen to a 7th book because we'll all either be dead or having our great grandchildren read it to us by the time it comes out.

7. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 11:57 Creston

InBlack wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:18:
George is a really cool guy, loves his fans, loves to meet his fans. BUT...he does procrastinate.

Procrastinate is when you release a novel a year too late. What GRRM does is so far beyond that it deserves its own new label. I hereby dub it "Martin'ed."

It's when you start a series in the 1990, write four books, then take the next fourteen years to write two more. (Book 3 was split into two parts in Europe)

Don't expect this series to ever end. When he released book four (Or rather I should say: Book three, Part two) he said he'd need two more books to finish it. Five years later, that had changed to three books. Then he released a book, and is now talking about three or four more. He is absolutely going to pull a Jordan on everyone.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 11:57 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:30:
Pretty much shows that many of the distributors of his works are still living in the dark ages he writes about.

I don't think Jordan sucked, he was a great author who unfortunately got bogged down and the books became aimless, repetitive affairs for a long time.

5. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 11:30 Ozmodan

Pretty much shows that many of the distributors of his works are still living in the dark ages he writes about.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 11:25 Verno

The assumed "Jon and Dany" fighting the others etc I guess? I think you'll be surprised where it ends up, if Martin is good at one thing it's defying expectations. You did mention Bakker previously and I wrote a big opinion about it because I think outside of his prose style and world building that Bakker writes awful characters and stories. To each his own though, I like Joe Abercrombie which many seem to dislike  

3. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 10:56 InBlack

Verno wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:12:
He doesn't seem to have a strong direction of where he wants to go with the series which is a problem with the fantasy and science fiction genres in general. Martin also seems almost masturbatory in his nihilism which grinds on you after awhile. You rarely read a good conclusion in fantasy these days and there is this sense that a lot of authors just keep throwing things at the wall until something sticks then run it into the ground (Jordan).

I think part of the problem is the publishers wanting everything to be 10 book epics instead of allowing authors to focus more on shorter stories where they can't worldbuild for 4000 pages which makes them meander and struggle with characterization.

Ive read the first five books twice, and I have to disagree. The pacing is off in places but the direction is already pretty clear at least IMO. It just sucks that he will probably croak before he ever gets there...

Jordan sucked though, I read the first five novels and gave up after that.

I dont know if Ive recommended him here before but there is a really great trilogy by Bakker, "Prince of Nothing". Man that guy can write, and unlike Martin or Jordan has very a very clear view on where his story will end up, without actually giving much away to the reader. My favorite living fantasy writer, wins by a mile.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 11:05.

I have a nifty blue line!

2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 10:12 Verno

He doesn't seem to have a strong direction of where he wants to go with the series which is a problem with the fantasy and science fiction genres in general. Martin also seems almost masturbatory in his nihilism which grinds on you after awhile. You rarely read a good conclusion in fantasy these days and there is this sense that a lot of authors just keep throwing things at the wall until something sticks then run it into the ground (Jordan).

I think part of the problem is the publishers wanting everything to be 10 book epics instead of allowing authors to focus more on shorter stories where they can't worldbuild for 4000 pages which makes them meander and struggle with characterization.

1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 22, 2013, 09:18 InBlack

George is a really cool guy, loves his fans, loves to meet his fans. BUT...he does procrastinate. A lot. Well he doesnt really procrastinate, he just seems to do too much at the same time. I really, really hope he gets to finish the Ice and Fire novels but honestly him signing a new deal to do new shows for HBO....I dont see it happening. He will pull a Robert Jordan on us but unlike with Jordan more people will be giving a fuck this time round....  

I have a nifty blue line!

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo