Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Original-Gamer.com - Exclusive Reviews: Crowding One Voice and Shunning Others.
In other media mediums like music or movies, exclusive reviews aren’t used anymore as they appear to be naive with major outlets being shunned, which goes for all those independent bloggers too. Apparently though, this doesn’t affect the decision making made over at Take-Two Interactive. In fact, looking at the layout of the ‘review-in-progress’ that has been posted as of the publication of this editorial, there are several locations that IGN and Take-Two use with different retail partners to take advantage by posting advertisements in strategic places where readers can’t ignore an Amazon link telling where gamers can purchase the game.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2013, 18:46 Cutter

Shit like this only further confirms for me how scared shitless and desperate Take Two/Irrational are. They're paying for a good review out of the gate in order to hopefully secure some pre-orders before the general public figure out the game is a turd.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2013, 14:53 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:48:
nin wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:44:
I wish publishers would stop giving out advance copies of these games and just let reviewers buy the game on release and review it after.
We would probably see more honest reviews and less paid 9/10 scores.

That's an excellent idea. I'd totally support that. "Oh, you're out $60, too? Well!"

Some review sites do that actually and they are usually up front about it too.
Normally if a game is iffy and I am not sure about it I just wait and check out user feedback and read reviews that came out a week or two after the game was released. Those are most likely were reviewers that actually went out and bought the game, and doesn't give a flying fuck what the publisher thinks about their review score.

Yeah, I miss Out of Eight reviews. He still does impressions though. You should see his Obama impression. Hilarious.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2013, 13:23 Verno

Yeah that would be nice but we live in a world where publishers shamelessly pander to reviewers with pseudo-bribes like holding a press event in an expenses paid trip to Hawaii.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2013, 10:48 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 10:44:
I wish publishers would stop giving out advance copies of these games and just let reviewers buy the game on release and review it after.

That's an excellent idea. I'd totally support that. "Oh, you're out $60, too? Well!"

Some review sites do that actually and they are usually up front about it too.
Normally if a game is iffy and I am not sure about it I just wait and check out user feedback and read reviews that came out a week or two after the game was released. Those are most likely were reviewers that actually went out and bought the game, and doesn't give a flying fuck what the publisher thinks about their review score.

Steam: SpectralMeat

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2013, 10:44 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2013, 10:42 SpectralMeat

More butt hurting over Bioshock review. This is getting hilarious.

But that is going to happen when the pigs will fly overhead.

At least now with Bioshock we can all ignore the IGN review and look at all the other ones as they will most likely be a little more honest

Steam: SpectralMeat

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo