Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is World Water Day in what has already been declared the "International Year of Water Cooperation" by the United Nations. Dealing with the world's supply of fresh water is serious business, so here's to making progress in managing our supply and demand of H2O. There's also a World Water Week planned for September, so on some level we can consider today a dry run.

Dry Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Strike Force Heroes 2.
Links: The Arrested Development Documentary Project Kickstarter. Thanks nin.
Social Farting vs. Social Smoking. Thanks Cutter.
Images: For These Amazing Cosplayers, The Stage Is Their Laboratory.
Media: Everything Wrong With The Dark Knight In 4 Minutes Or Less.
Pee-wee Herman Plays Black Ops.
1 beer in 1 second.
Sledder Has Close Call.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Savage Chickens.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2013, 12:04 eRe4s3r

Not sure. Is climate what researchers want to happen and weather what's actually happening? Because they can't even get weather predictions right with 7 day advance. You tell me they can predict the climate for the world, but not when and where it rains or snows?

Excuse me, but I am going to be a skeptic (meaning I am waiting for actual proof) when it comes to this. and with proof I mean, proof that climate change actually changes the climate, and not just somewhere, but here where I am.

Why would I even look at climate change as a whole? I am not the planet! When it's not gonna do anything for me locally, then wtf is the hype about?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2013, 07:51 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 16:10:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 14:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 12:39:
Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 11:49:
The midwest is slowly drying out, Australia is already a parched desert, and my parents keep complaining that it rains every single day in Holland.

We need to find some way to shift the global weather stream.

Creston

We still have snow here you know, and -10C at night And yes, it's supposed to be spring time!

Still waiting for that "Global Warming" ...

Unfortunately, one of the effects of Global Warming is that temps in Europe will actually get colder. Europe is much warmer than it should be for its latitude due to warm tropical air brought by the jet stream. As the massive glacial ice pack in Greenland melts, it sends millions of tons of ice into the North Atlantic, much more than pre-global warming days. This ice actually cools the ocean so much that the jet stream is altered, and Europe freezes. Temps in Germany will become like those in Moscow.

Yeah I am well aware of that "theory" apart from the small detail that the past 33 years NOTHING HAS HAPPENED that would cause the gulf stream to change (and it hasn't changed). The reality is, it is colder despite the fact that the gulf stream is as strong as ever. Even more to the point, the current weather has nothing to do with the gulf stream. Rather it is a collection of low pressure air fronts pulling extreme cold from the east and blowing it in our direction.

I also know that harsh winters are not rare in Germany I mean my parents sure as hell told me some horror stories I can hardly believe, they laugh when I am saying that this winter is unusual...

Point being. Climate change predicted different things than are actually happening in Europe. ^^

Actually that is a very simplistic way of looking at things..."oh its cold in Germany, oh those climate scientists with PhDs sure have it wrong!, this is proof that global warming is not happening"

Do you understand the difference between weather and climate?

I have a nifty blue line!

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 23:54 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 20:00:

Oh they are, Fusion research for example has been going on for decades. Unfortunately its woefully underfunded. Plus certain industries don't like competition to their gravy trains and politicians are easily bought.

Maybe in our lifetime. Preferably before soylent green.
Doesn't help that every time someone wants to build an experimental nuclear facility for research NIMBY's and environmentalists throw a hissy fit too. Turn over an environmentalist, find a Malthusian 90% of the time which is really a bigger problem.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 21:24 Julio

Water will be the new oil. Fortunately I live in a place with tons of fresh water. Looks like the middle east will have to hand back some of those petro dollars if they want to have something to drink.

Sucks for those overpopulated countries without a water supply, but that's nature for you.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 20:00 NegaDeath

PHJF wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 19:36:
Lazy fucking scientists... get on that shit.

Oh they are, Fusion research for example has been going on for decades. Unfortunately its woefully underfunded. Plus certain industries don't like competition to their gravy trains and politicians are easily bought.

Maybe in our lifetime. Preferably before soylent green.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 19:52 1badmf

i think the only possible solution to future resource management is... I'll be dead by then, so fuck it.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 19:36 PHJF

We can always desalinate water. We just need a renewable energy source with which to do it on a massive, economical scale (and another source by which to transport product far inland/to high elevation). Then again a lot of stuff would be improved with a more modern energy source.

Lazy fucking scientists... get on that shit.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 19:24 Cutter

I started learning about the whole water issue year ago when I was doing a lot of reading about Peak Oil and the water situation is a hell of a lot scarier. This Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water is very informative and scary - along with her first book called Blue Gold writ back in 2003. All over the globe there's already a great deal of conflict between indigenous peoples and big biz controlling their water rights.

Couple that with the fact that we're running out of fresh water - and oil - and the population is set to double - at its current rate - within the next 50 years and that's a clear recipe for disaster - which is to say resource based wars on global scale. The planet needs a 1 child only policy and it needs to be state sanctioned.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 19:15 NegaDeath

Apparently the classic NES Duck Tales is getting a remake.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 16:10 eRe4s3r

The midwest is slowly drying out, Australia is already a parched desert, and my parents keep complaining that it rains every single day in Holland.

Creston

We still have snow here you know, and -10C at night And yes, it's supposed to be spring time!

Unfortunately, one of the effects of Global Warming is that temps in Europe will actually get colder. Europe is much warmer than it should be for its latitude due to warm tropical air brought by the jet stream. As the massive glacial ice pack in Greenland melts, it sends millions of tons of ice into the North Atlantic, much more than pre-global warming days. This ice actually cools the ocean so much that the jet stream is altered, and Europe freezes. Temps in Germany will become like those in Moscow.

Yeah I am well aware of that "theory" apart from the small detail that the past 33 years NOTHING HAS HAPPENED that would cause the gulf stream to change (and it hasn't changed). The reality is, it is colder despite the fact that the gulf stream is as strong as ever. Even more to the point, the current weather has nothing to do with the gulf stream. Rather it is a collection of low pressure air fronts pulling extreme cold from the east and blowing it in our direction.

I also know that harsh winters are not rare in Germany I mean my parents sure as hell told me some horror stories I can hardly believe, they laugh when I am saying that this winter is unusual...

Point being. Climate change predicted different things than are actually happening in Europe. ^^

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 15:30 Mashiki Amiketo

Well it's a nice theory, doesn't reflect any of the previous melts of the ice cap in greenland though. Even right up to the point where it was 90% receded.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 15:10 Jivaro

The term "global warming" has always confused people. Some "confuse" more willingly than others.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 14:37 jdreyer

Creston

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 13:52 eRe4s3r

Interesting

Just meant to say, a global water day is probably a pretty bad idea... half the world doesn't actually have a lack of water, like at all. We got too much of it, ground water level is very high.

I am actually worried more about the gas usage for heating around here. We already used half of what was planned to be used for an entire year.

Somehow, having people tell me "global warming is real, lulz" and having the 2nd winter in 10 years that is actually pretty damn hardcore cold does not compute... Make it warmer! ^^

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 13:58.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 13:42 xXBatmanXx

We still have A LOT of snow on the ground, and the Minnesota River Valley is already having some flooding and it is expected to be pretty bad. Yet we are still in a drought and the Missouri and Mississippi rivers are very low.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 12:39 eRe4s3r

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 11:50 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 09:17:
It is funny the younger generation is being trolled and doesn't even realize it...

That's what makes it so awesome. All the CoD "bros" (as Ken Levine called them when he was desperately trying to get them to buy his game) have no clue people are taking the fucking piss at them.

Creston

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 11:49 Creston

Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 11:10 eRe4s3r

Funnier is when you live in Germany or in any other more or less central/north European country, water shortage? Da fuck. We have problems with too low water usage which breaks the pipes and requires insanely expensive maintenance.

The worst thing a European living in France or Germany could do is save water. You cause massive damage to the pipe infrastructure which was designed to work at certain pressure levels to meet a certain demand, this pressure needs to ALWAYS be maintained. That means if you save water here, the water is not actually saved........

Water day indeed. Should be "Use dat damn water now, day!"

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 11:03 netnerd85

Water World... Day... I heard the directors cut is good?  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo