Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support?

PCGamesN has details on a patch which they say accidentally went out briefly today via Steam for Counter-Strike Global Offensive before Valve was able to un-patch the teamplay shooter. This was too late to prevent some folks from getting the chance to check out what it includes, and besides gameplay changes, they found a string in the code suggesting some sort of season pass will be offered to allow players to support community map authors, saying the pass "grants access to Season One's featured community maps on Official Servers. Proceeds are divided among the featured map creators!" Thanks VG247.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 23, 2013, 11:19 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 13:20:
"here's CS:S on the new L4D engine"

the L4D engine is the source engine fyi... just like all valve games since 2004, they've refined the engine here and there, but they've been running the same engine for the last 9 years.

again, nothing "new".

never understood why people thought this was worth buying. if you liked CS:S then why not just play that? It's like paying for a "greatest hits of" from some band from the 80's just to re-buy all the songs that you already own. why not just dust off your old LPs? you already bought them. Call me when the band makes a NEW album, and i'll buy that...

You shouldn't discuss things you don't understand, the Source engine has changed considerably since its inception, that's the whole point of a modular engine. The dundering analogy at the end was precious though and it's amusing how you won't apply the same logic to EA games reusing engines and assets.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 14:14 descender

Slick... You can only be so wrong.

Off the top of my head they've completely revamped the lighting system, and I'm almost certain they have added other newer features to it as well. Source is a modular game engine (one of it's more celebrated features) and has seen updates to different systems with every new game release. Then after that game releases they usually even go back and patch the features into the older source games like they did with HDR lighting.

The Source engine that launched with HL2 and the Source engine that launched with Portal 2 are very different things.

"if you liked CS:S then why not just play that?"
Because it's not "just the same game" as much as you want to believe it is. It has new game modes, textures, interface, a newer version of the source engine and tons of other updates that CS:S is not getting. If you want all of that new content then you have to buy CS:GO.

You seem intent as writing off these newer versions of CS as if they haven't changed the game at all in 15 years. They all play very differently. Your lack of experience with that is showing.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 14:23.

19. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 13:20 Slick

"here's CS:S on the new L4D engine"

the L4D engine is the source engine fyi... just like all valve games since 2004, they've refined the engine here and there, but they've been running the same engine for the last 9 years.

again, nothing "new".

never understood why people thought this was worth buying. if you liked CS:S then why not just play that? It's like paying for a "greatest hits of" from some band from the 80's just to re-buy all the songs that you already own. why not just dust off your old LPs? you already bought them. Call me when the band makes a NEW album, and i'll buy that...

18. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 08:41 Beamer

Valve kind of DOES control PC gaming. At this point PC gaming and Steam are rapidly becoming synonyms. SteamBox would make that more so.

I'm less concerned about that potential monopoly than most others. Valve hasn't done anything particularly evil and I don't see them starting. Stupid? Sometimes. But never evil.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 07:57 descender

just because millions of people got duped into buying a game doesn't make it a good game

CS has always been a good game at it's core, and the popularity of every iteration (outside of CS:CZ) of it has only enforced that fact.

look at Diablo 3... then almost every single one had severe buyers remorse

This is apples & oranges. It's 6 months later and barely anyone is playing D3 anymore because it betrayed it's most loyal cusmoters, but 10 years later CS is still largely unchanged, and still the most popular competitive FPS. There is no "remorse" to be felt here, other than you don't seem to like Counter-Strike.

The simple fact that they could resell the same exact maps and gameplay 3 times over utterly disproves any remorse people could be feeling. It's not like they promised and then didn't deliver on key features of the game. This wasn't Blizzard promising some groundbreaking new sequel here. Valve said "here is CS:S with some spitshine, rendered in the new L4D2 engine..." and tons of people bought that. No deception, just good old CS.

People that want to pay to support these community made maps will pay, people that don't will continue to play on regular servers... and you who clearly does not like CS can continue doing so... and the world will go on.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 08:07.

16. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 04:37 Cutter

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 23:32:
Here ya go.

Thanks man. The statement he makes is confusing though.

Gabe threw out some really concrete and large numbers to illustrate his point. “The most anybody has earned in a single year is $500,000, so they’re making content, selling it to other customers, and we have a revenue share with those people and their takeaway is $500,000.

So which is it? One guy make 500k or all the modders together? 500k for virtual hats sounds pretty excessive for one guy.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 02:47 Slick

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 02:26:
I wasn't specifically responding to you, Slick... but now I will

how anyone who's played 1.6 or source could imagine paying a 3rd time for the same content

Well since 1.6 was a free mod, and anyone who bought CS:Source probably got it as a throw-in with the Orange Box... the $5 most sane people paid for CS:GO probably isn't breaking their wallets.

"game looks like shit, plays like shit"

That's just like, your opinion man... Just taking a look at today's peak numbers, CS1.6 was the 4th most played game on steam today. CS:Source was 5th, CS:GO was 7th. The fact that all 3 iterations of the game are some of the most consistently played games on steam... I imagine quite a few would disagree with that assessment.

yeah, it's definately my opinion, but i was very unimpressed with CS:GO it's paying money for a 12 year old game... there are so many indy devs out there that could use my $15. (thought it was $15?).

i mean, people give CoD a hard time for "remaking" the same game year after year... and even though they're very interchangable, it's worlds away from how CS:GO is a "new game". same guns, maps, same shit, new pricetag.

and there's no safety in numbers on this, just because millions of people got duped into buying a game doesn't make it a good game. look at Diablo 3. imo garbage game, but just about every single one of my friends bought it without exception, then almost every single one had severe buyers remorse. same shit with CS:GO imo.

CounterStrike as a brand is the FPS title with the biggest competitive community, still after all these years, that's why it sold well. but again, this does not equate to a good game.

Also i'm pretty sure i bought the original CS, i still have the jewelcase around here somewhere, and i bought CS:source, i draw the line at re-buying the same thing 3 times...

14. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 02:26 descender

I wasn't specifically responding to you, Slick... but now I will

how anyone who's played 1.6 or source could imagine paying a 3rd time for the same content

Well since 1.6 was a free mod, and anyone who bought CS:Source probably got it as a throw-in with the Orange Box... the $5 most sane people paid for CS:GO probably isn't breaking their wallets.

"game looks like shit, plays like shit"

That's just like, your opinion man... Just taking a look at today's peak numbers, CS1.6 was the 4th most played game on steam today. CS:Source was 5th, CS:GO was 7th. The fact that all 3 iterations of the game are some of the most consistently played games on steam... I imagine quite a few would disagree with that assessment.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 02:36.

13. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 02:16 Slick

descender wrote on Mar 22, 2013, 02:11:
Where do you get this stuff from? Take off the tinfoil hat for like 5 minutes, all of your posts read the same way.

They are not attempting to "control" anything, and are merely going to put money in the hands of the community map makers.

Trying to turn this into some cash grabbing conspiracy only makes you look more crazy than you already are.

well it wasn't me who said the control comment, but i do understand where he's coming from, even though i don't agree with it.

i mean people give any company that releases paid DLC map packs or season passes the exact same attitude.

and Valve is trying to become the one-stop shop for PC based gaming, that's no secret. they're releasing their own console FFS. they want to be in every living room. again this isn't "evil" or "greedy" it's just called business savvy. they're a company, companies exist to make money. no real surprize there.

12. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 02:12 Slick

also, CS:GO i thought was pretty awful, especially value wise... they already remade CS with source, now they remade it again essentially for consoles. game looks like shit, plays like shit, and it's the same tired old maps with a couple new barrels and boxes in different places.

how anyone who's played 1.6 or source could imagine paying a 3rd time for the same content, only without the years of mod support behind it are just ridiculous as far as i'm concerned.

11. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 02:11 descender

valve charging for a "season pass" for DLC maps = Amazing

It would be, wouldn't it? Too bad that's not what they are actually doing at all. This isn't valve making maps (or excluding them from release) to make money off of them. THAT is what EA does.

They are trying to control the gaming community

Where do you get this stuff from? Take off the tinfoil hat for like 5 minutes, all of your posts read the same way.

They are not attempting to "control" anything, and are merely going to put money in the hands of the community map makers.

Trying to turn this into some cash grabbing conspiracy only makes you look more crazy than you already are.

10. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 02:08 Slick

not sure if that was sarcasm or not. i agree with you that valve are trying to make themselves the one-stop shop for anything to do with PC gaming. The funny thing is how the consumers follow this narritive, and actively defend them, most going as far as to say they're the only place they'll ever buy a game from. anti-competition much? when has that ever been good for the consumer?

funny how EA's origin service is evil for being part of a large company, yet valve's Steam service is a hundred times more massive, and yet can do no harm. it's the sheepdog effect, people police themselves, and attack anyone who's ideas differ from the narritive that is set forth by the company.

again, i think that giving map creators a means of making some money for their hard work is genuinely a good thing, i've made a HL2 mod before, never saw a dime.

But people really need to check themselves before they wreck themselves when they say that a season's pass paid DLC subscription model is A+ number one when valve does it, and when a different company does it, it's the end of civilization as we know it. time to cut out the hyperbole across the board.

9. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 22, 2013, 01:45 netnerd85

Slick wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 23:39:
Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 21:07:
HEY EA YOU THERE!?? YOU GOT YOUR FUCKING NOTEBOOK!? GREAT! SIDDOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP. CLASS IS IN SESSION!

this made me lol.

EA doing it = Evil.

the difference is one's by 3rd party modders and the other's by the game's own developers? this is the difference between good and evil... hmm

oh gamers, you amuse me.
I have to agree with you here.

So tired of Valve, they are trying to control EVERYTHING about PC gaming. THIS IS BAD. Valve are greedy evil cunts, why can't you people see that?

They are trying to control the gaming community, the people, they are creating a MASSIVE funnel, just to sell you shit they don't need and to make MASSIVE amounts of money. Just because others benefit A LITTLE doesn't mean they aren't controlling everything Apple style.

8. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 23:39 Slick

Tanto Edge wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 21:07:
HEY EA YOU THERE!?? YOU GOT YOUR FUCKING NOTEBOOK!? GREAT! SIDDOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP. CLASS IS IN SESSION!

this made me lol.

EA doing it = Evil.

the difference is one's by 3rd party modders and the other's by the game's own developers? this is the difference between good and evil... hmm

oh gamers, you amuse me.

7. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 23:32 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 23:14:
descender wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 22:55:
The guys making TF2 maps are making plenty of cash, I don't see how this would be any different.

Didn't some guy make over $500k last year because he made a TF2 hat?

You'll have to point to some hard numbers on that because that sounds like pure fantasy.

And anyway, wth is the CSGO demo anyway?

Here ya go.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

6. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 23:14 Cutter

descender wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 22:55:
The guys making TF2 maps are making plenty of cash, I don't see how this would be any different.

You'll have to point to some hard numbers on that because that sounds like pure fantasy.

And anyway, wth is the CSGO demo anyway?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 22:55 descender

4. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 21:08 eRe4s3r

Uh... so you pay for maps that you don't know and don't see and don't play before paying, and then it's only for the 0.1% of servers that are official... wouldn't it make more sense to have server owners (or whoever rents them) pay a monthly fee X to access all community maps and those that get actually played get a partial pay-out from that fee?

I know it wouldn't make map makers rich unless a map is very popular and the server runs 100% 1 map, but it would be a lot fairer... since players can't decide what map to run before joining. So you could end up paying for a map you want that only get's played once every 6 hours, or maybe worse, only on US servers with pings above 300.

How would a flat-rate access player paid fee ever result in a fair spread of money to map-makers. If anything, it would just make those that best cheese the voting rich. Not the best ie. by itself popular maps.

3. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 21:07 Tanto Edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

2. Re: Counter-Strike Global Offensive Adding Paid Community Support? Mar 21, 2013, 20:52 Graham

Valve does a ridiculously good job of putting cash into the hands of people who make things. I bought the map support pack in TF because, shit, the fun I've had on those maps? They deserve the cash.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo