Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced

Wizards of the Coast announces Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers, the next installment in the videogame version of the collectible card series, saying this is coming to Windows, Xbox LIVE, PlayStation Network, iOS, and (for the first time) Andrdoid this summer. They are showing it off this weekend at PAX East, and here's word on what's new:

Magic 2014 – Duels of the Planeswalkers builds on the success of previous games in the franchise and adds all new features including an immersive storyline, 10 brand new decks, 15 new encounters, 10 new puzzle challenges, and an all-new play mode in addition to other exciting features. Magic 2014 players will get the first look at cards from the Magic 2014 - Core Set in Duels of the Planeswalkers, creating even more seamless integration between the online and offline games.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 23:58 Slick

i didn't think you could unlock sideboard through mp duels, at leat not in 2012, maybe they fixed that in 2013. anyone have any clues as to what the decks are gonna be?

anyone have any cool decks they've built IRL?

i used to have a wikkid "prison" deck, that was just blue/white/artifact with tons of counters, icys, and land destruction stuff. infact the only cards i had in the deck that did any damage at all was.. umm, i wanna say mesa pegasus? tap and pay 1 white for 1/1 flying token? something like that. was about 15 years ago.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 23:47 Alamar

I picked up 2013 this week on the sale (core + exp only), and am having some nostalgia'c fun, but what I would really like to see is an Etherlords 3, having thoroughly enjoyed the second, and thought it made a much better PC game than any MTG title.

-Alamar

6. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 23:19 MisterBenn

Last night I rebuilt my 2013 installation, there are many mods around for it now. If you are familiar with installing a bunch of mods in sequence then it's doable to get 20 or 30 more decks into the game, including the latest cards available and the AI understands them as well as the original decks. I'll buy 2014 because it'll presumably be cheap again and the features gradually improve but you just know some of the decks will heavily resemble things people have already made.

P.S. And what does that mean huh? "China is here?" I don't even know what the hell that means!

Playing: Path of Exile, Age of Wonders III

5. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 23:14 Cutter

Haha dewlz!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

4. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 21:11 Keith

Would be nice if they amped up the single player experience too. Something along the lines of the Microprose game, where you conquered the world map, gained province bonuses and the like. Admittedly the computer AI just isn't up to human standards, but it was still fun. The limited availability of cards in this iteration of Duels is what keeps it from being my go-to Magic game. Magic: Online is solid, but a horrible interface, even with the new-new version.  

3. Free For All Strategy Mar 21, 2013, 21:04 JohnBirshire

I didn't like having to unlock cards, since it was much faster to unlock them against the AI I did that instead, but it is very monotonous. Plus I like to play on an even playing field, don't want to be trying to unlock cards against someone who has a major advantage because they already have.

I played for FFA, loved it. Despite 1 in 4 odds, I would win over 3 out of 4 of them using some simple techniques. The first, is I always chatted with people over voice. If 3 people are talking, and 1 isn't, I guarantee you the guy not talking gets beat out first every time. *since people are less likely to attack someone being cool with them* The second, is to make sure you are "average", not the weakest or strongest player. So if I had great cards in hand, despite it being a FFA I wouldn't play them until I had to. People love to pick off weak players, or gang up on strong ones, so being in the middle was best. Third, never start a fight, always just respond to them. People love to hold grudges, so if you attack someone early they usually focus on you the rest of the game even if it's in their best interest to target someone else. So using these three techniques, I was very successful, and it made for a fun game.

Haven't played in two years, so I might get back into it with 2014. Did they ever allow you the ability to make your own decks, or do you still have to use the pre-built ones?

2. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 20:31 jacobvandy

AFAIK, you DO unlock new cards playing online. It's just that nobody does it that way because grinding it out against AI is a lot easier and faster. Especially if you're like me and tend to play 3-4 player FFA and end up winning far fewer matches.  

1. Re: Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers Announced Mar 21, 2013, 20:23 Slick

yeah, we'll see how "brand new" these 10 "brand new" decks are...

still playing DotP 2012, as i finally unlocked all of the decks, and all of the expansions right as 2013 came around...

it's nice to have new content, and it's not really expensive, i just wish i could "grind" to unlock the 20 card (per deck) sideboard through actualy MP duels, instead of having to grind against an AI for 40 hours first, THEN getting to play MP, and by then chances are there's no one online anymore cause they're all playing the next yearly iteration of the series.

MTG is amazing though... used to have a mirror universe, mox jet, and an alpha icy IRL. envy me.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo