Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch!

OnLive chairman Garry Lauder invokes Mark Twain in saying reports of the death of the OnLive streaming game service "are greatly exaggerated," taking some responsibility for that: "When the restructuring of OnLive happened in August, many misunderstood it to mean that the service and company were shutting down," explains Lauder in the OnLive Blog. "Neither occurred, nor did we go bankrupt. We should have communicated better" (thanks Polygon). What was communicated at the time was that a majority of the company's staff was being laid off, and that the company was being sold in a form of bankruptcy known as an "Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors." He talks of how their technology can be useful for enterprise applications, but also indicates they still have gaming ambitions:

We have already delivered some significant milestones for the OnLive Game Service, in particular, being incorporated into our first third party device, the VIZIO Co-Star, and into Google TVs, starting with the impressive LG G3 Series—with more to come. We continue to bring new game publishers and games into the mix, and released Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced release from CD Projekt on Thursday, February 28 with a special promotion, which includes a free digital download copy of the game for PCs with purchase of a Full PlayPass. This is an important paradigm shift towards enabling our users to get their games in as many formats as they’d like, even if they are not delivered by our platform. We are busy exploring other new ways to serve our users’ and publishers’ interests capitalizing on our unique abilities.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 18:50 NegaDeath

It was an interesting idea but there was just no way it was going to be successful here and anyone with any sense knew that. In Asian countries with fast internet, concentrated populations and limited room space it might have been successful. But not here.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 18:48 nin

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 18:44:
Like this was ever anything else other than a scam for Perry and pals to bilk unwitting investors out of their money.

You're thinking of gaiki. Who I'm sure cashed in well from the sony deal.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

16. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 18:44 Cutter

Like this was ever anything else other than a scam for Perry and pals to bilk unwitting investors out of their money.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 18:13 Flatline

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:43:
I feel bad for all the investors who got conned into thinking that this would be some kind of gaming revolution....on second thought....nah I dont. Fuck those losers.

Where's that vocal asshole who went into great technical detail about how we were all wrong about OnLive, that it was the greatest thing evar, and that we'd never notice the lag because there's already lag between the controller and the console (forgetting that lag is, generally, additive, and not subtractive.)?

I'd really like to see his postmortem.

Also, OnLive *might* have succeeded in South Korea, where they're aiming to have gigabit to everybody's home in the next 10 years, but here in 'Murrica, where 512k DSL is still considered "blazing fast broadband!", it was a disaster waiting to happen.

14. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 14:47 BobBob

Paradigm shift, eh? When did Todd H start working for OnLive?  

13. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 14:24 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 11:18:
I had two jokes to make here, and they've already all been made. Dammit!

/shows self out.

Creston
Yeah those movie references are always funny, and fit into situations like this so well.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 14:09 saluk

I'll spit on you.

No really onlive - I'LL spit on you. And bite my thumb at you.

11. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 13:45 NegaDeath

Well I know which movie I'm popping in when I get home.  

10. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 12:39 Hellbinder

Tis better to have tried and failed then to never have tried at all...

The Whales name is Bob.

9. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 12:04 KilrathiAce

Why are they still around? That money can be used better elsewhere...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

8. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 11:18 Creston

I had two jokes to make here, and they've already all been made. Dammit!

/shows self out.

Creston

7. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 10:53 El Pit

"Look, you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left."
"Yes I have."
"Look!"
"It's just a flesh wound."
Monty Python's ftw!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

6. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 10:43 InBlack

I feel bad for all the investors who got conned into thinking that this would be some kind of gaming revolution....on second thought....nah I dont. Fuck those losers.  

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 10:06 MajorD

Just F'ing go away already!!!

4. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 09:45 Verno

Gunshot wound is just a scratch, it's ok guys, ignore all that blood I'm good.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

3. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 09:32 nin

I'm sure, after Dave Perry's sellout, they're doing their best to try to market themselves to any buyer that will have them...

2. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 09:23 Warskull

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 09:10:
"We're still here! Honest! Check it out! Anyone? Hello????"

I actually forgot they existed.

1. Re: OnLive: 'Tis But a Scratch! Mar 21, 2013, 09:10 nin

"We're still here! Honest! Check it out! Anyone? Hello????"

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.