Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The NCAA tournament is underway, so happy March Madness to all who are so afflicted. As usual, I am not one of them, since my affection for professional sports is almost matched by my indifference to the collegiate variety. Apologies for not being into this enough to put together a bracket to compete with those of you who grok college hoops, but I would just be picking by uniform color or cool mascots or something.

R.I.P.: Rats author and ‘giant of popular fiction’ James Herbert dies. Thanks Lorcin.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Resort Empire.
Links: Punxsutawney Phil Beheaded For Inaccurate Prediction. Justice! Thanks brother19.
Stories: NBC prepping Jimmy Fallon for 'Tonight Show' takeover.
Science: Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have Left the Solar System (Updated). Thanks nin.
Moon rocket engines recovered from bottom of Atlantic ocean.
Lost Sleep Can Lead to Weight Gain.
Media: Downton Zombey.
Real Life Speeder Bike.
Shotover Jet Boat Ride - Queenstown, New Zealand. Thanks Hoop..
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: Latest Star Trek Into Darkness trailer promises an intense battle of wills. Thanks Neutronbeam.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 11:01 nin

Ah, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 10:50 nin

I think it was very loosely alluded to (with not much detail) when Spock Classic meets Kirk 2.0...

I'm willing to bet you could find those comics *ahem* "online" if you get my drift (I originally bought them from the itunes store for like $1 a piece)...a few other things it covered:

Picard being an ambassador, while Data was a Captain.

The Jellyfish (Spocks ride back to the past) was designed by Jordie.

I can't remember if Worf was killed or not.

Nero's ship had some borg technology on it, hence it's odd look...

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 10:45 Mr. Tact

Ah, cool -- thanks nin. I didn't know about the comics and I had wondered if I "missed" why Nero was mad at Spock for the destruction of Romulus. Not to mention I don't recall the movie covering why Romulus was destroyed to begin with.

Did the movie actually cover either of those points? If it did, I either entirely missed it or have totally forgotten it. (have I mentioned recently that getting old sucks)

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 08:56 nin

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt it Romulus that was destroyed in the reboot?

<Geek hat on>

There was a 4 issue comic that lead directly into the last movie. If I remember right, (in the Next Generation time line) it's discovered that the sun Romulus is around is going to go nova, and destroy everything, including the planet. Spock, working towards reunification, tries to get both sides to work together towards a solution, only the Vulcans refuse (I believe). The sun goes, and Romulus is destroyed.

Nero blames Spock for the destruction of Romulus, which is why he's hellbent on revenge. I can't remember who goes in the wormhole first, but Nero comes out in the past, as Kirk is being born. Spock comes out 18-20 years later, but for Spock, he's only been in the wormhole for minutes. Nero then captures Spock, dumps him on a planet around Vulcan, and then destroys Vulcan, while (Old) Spock watches. It's his payback, since Nero could do nothing as his own planet/wife/race was destroyed in front of his eyes.

So in the NG timeline, Romulus is destroyed. In the Abrams timeline/deviation, it's Vulcan.

(I can't believe I just admitted to reading those.)

edit: This is also the excuse why the Enterprise/Starfleet appears more technologically advanced than it's classic self: After Nero's attack (and then disappearance until Spock Classic shows up), Starfleet takes a more militarized approach to design.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2013, 09:03.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 07:17 InBlack

Correct me if Im wrong, but wasnt it Romulus that was destroyed in the reboot?

Still quite rude, because I always liked Romulans, their obsesion with humans and the roman republic and their Tal Shiar order.

I assume that Klingons will now become the dominant force in the Alpha quadrant now, its a shame they arent feautured in the reboot...

/nerdspeak

I have a nifty blue line!

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2013, 00:37 Mr. Tact

I like it all mostly... except like the first two seasons of TNG. I can understand a "purist" not liking the reboot -- destroying Vulcan was fairly rude, but meh -- not an issue for me.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 19:31 Cutter

Too bad you guys don't like real Star Trek. Whatever, enjoy your Abrams crap.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 18:09 nin

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 17:54:
Into Darkness looks worth the price of a ticket.

I agree. I understand it can't be everything to everyone, but I enjoyed the last one, and I suspect I'll enjoy this one as well.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 17:59 Mr. Tact

Guess I should be glad the matinee prices are "only" $7 in my area? At least we are getting an IMAX and the generic IMAX at the other big movie house in town. I won't mind so much for laying out the bucks for that.

@jdreyer Meh. It's a special occasion for me, better than xmas.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 17:54 jdreyer

Into Darkness looks worth the price of a ticket.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 17:52 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:06:

Interesting article, although the amount of calories burned seems insignificant (100-130 in a day), on a weekly scale that is the difference in having an extra meal or snack. Ignoring the science in the article, on a more common sense level people who sleep less are probably more likely to skip physical activities due to their general fatigue levels. Gaining weight is a bit of a vicious cycle, people tend to treat emotional problems with food which leads to more of the same due to guilt, stigmatization and negative feelings associated with being overweight.

Didn't read the article, haev done reading on it in the past. If you aren't sleeping, you are eating. I also thought it had to do with cortisol in the system? Something to do with lack of sleep and buildup of certain toxins in the body. I dunno, was a while ago when I looked into it.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 17:33 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 10:06:

Interesting article, although the amount of calories burned seems insignificant (100-130 in a day), on a weekly scale that is the difference in having an extra meal or snack. Ignoring the science in the article, on a more common sense level people who sleep less are probably more likely to skip physical activities due to their general fatigue levels. Gaining weight is a bit of a vicious cycle, people tend to treat emotional problems with food which leads to more of the same due to guilt, stigmatization and negative feelings associated with being overweight.

Great encapsulation.

@ Mr. Tact, "38 hours. A 65" plasma, two 60" projectors, and a 45" LCD means none of it will be missed. Food, beer, Dove Bars..."

Speaking of weight gain...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 16:33 Lorcin

After currency exchange it's $17.75 here in the UK. Not bought drinks or popcorn for years - just get the wife to take a big hand bag.  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 12:32 Verno

They did that around here but I guess people stopped putting up with it because the prices went back down to "only" $10. I'm sure they're splitting the difference on concessions though. $30 for 2 pops and 2 bags of popcorn is just a riot.

Oh we went and saw Dead Man Down last weekend and it was pretty ok. Nothing special, weird pacing but solid performances from everyone involved. Really surprised that WWE put money into it, didn't see any wrestlers, guess they're branching out.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 12:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 11:28:
Oh and after the most recent hike in matinee rates at the theater I figured it would be a while before I went back, but ST:ID is starting to lower my resistance...
Yeah, I haven't been to the theaters since return of the king. And before that it was when I was taking the neighbors kids to go see pokemon movies. Hah. But a buddy of mine who's an avid movie goer said that you can hardly tell the price between matinee/prime tickets now. It's somewhere around $12.50 for matinee and $13.50 for prime in my neck of the woods.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 11:28 Mr. Tact

Oh and after the most recent hike in matinee rates at the theater I figured it would be a while before I went back, but ST:ID is starting to lower my resistance...  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 10:50 Mr. Tact

Woohoo! 24 hours of basketball in the next 38 hours. A 65" plasma, two 60" projectors, and a 45" LCD means none of it will be missed. Food, beer, Dove Bars, and other amenities stockpiled and ready to be consumed.  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 10:48 InBlack

I really hope that the new Star Trek will be a little more Trek and a little less Anime/Manga/Transformers than the last one. Fingers crossed.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2013, 10:06 Verno

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo