Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions

This reddit thread is the outcome of an AMA session with Crystal Dynamics attended by Karl Stewart, Global Brand Director for Tomb Raider and Noah Hughes, Creative Director for Tomb Raider. As noted on Videogamer, they were asked along the way about the possibility of single-player DLC for the new Tomb Raider reboot, which they shot down. "There are currently no plans in place for any Single Player expansions," said Karl Stewart. "All of our DLC is based around the Multiplayer experience for now." They also seem to rule out throwback appearance DLC as well. "We did try to have a lot of nods to the classics in this reboot," says Hughes. "And even her outfit itself is intended to evoke her classic outfit in a way, but is more practical for her situation. This was just an example of trying to play that balance between fresh and familiar."

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 21, 2013, 20:27 HorrorScope

necrosis wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:35:
Guess I will just sell my copy now with no real DLC coming out...

Now we like DLC. I'm so confused.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 21, 2013, 09:38 avianflu

i am playing resident evil 4 now and the QTE's are 1000% pointless.

First time you instantly die because you didnt see it coming.
Go back to last save point.
Next time you hit it right, hopefully.
Cutscene continues.
Ugh.

44. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 21, 2013, 01:05 Prez

In the strictest sense, the combat in The Witcher - one of my most favorite RPG's ever- was based on a string of QTE's and while it was hated by some I really liked it for the most part. So I guess in certain circumstances QTE's can be okay for me.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

43. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 21, 2013, 00:31 Jerykk

It's a Tomb Raider game, and they nailed the puzzle platforming shooting stuff this time.

Fixed.

42. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 21:24 Redmask

I found the ME3 MP is incredibly boring, it's a barebones survival mode with all of the awkward combat mechanics of the Mass Effect games. Highly repetitive and grindy in a bad way, the AI presents little challenge and they up the ante by using random spawning. It feels like a fan mod, not a professional multiplayer product.  

41. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 18:22 Scheherazade

Guess I will just sell my copy now with no real DLC coming out... oh wait I bought it on Steam.

Another story driven game with MP shoved into it. I dont think I have ever clicked on the MP part of ME3, another game that could have done without it.

I guess the profit margin is stupid high on MP DLC and there are enough stupid people to buy it.

ME3 MP is top notch... if you're into coop.
Easily as good as L4D[2].

I quit playing ME3 SP because the MP was so good that I stopped caring about the SP (the crap SP ending that everyone cried about didn't even have a chance to affect me).

-scheherazade

40. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 18:00 Asmo

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 08:59:
Speaking of QTEs, when will this horrid design crutch die already? Maybe if QTEs were in any way intelligent or required some actual thought process I could behind them but just literally hammering the key when prompted to on screen is mind numbing shit.

I agree entirely with you, but I understand why they put in QTE's. It's a narrative moment where the character controls just can't replicate what they want to show you onscreen. If all we were required to do was dodge something, we could do it, but some of the crap you see in QTE's (particularly games like God of War) really aren't possible with the scope of manual controls available to us, so instead we have to mash the right button... =\

Guess it's the price we pay for more visually impressive games, but it's a bit depressing when you play a game where, for the most part, the computer is driving your toon with an occasional nudge from the player.

39. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 17:55 Asmo

Another story driven game with MP shoved into it. I dont think I have ever clicked on the MP part of ME3, another game that could have done without it.

I guess the profit margin is stupid high on MP DLC and there are enough stupid people to buy it.

Well, in terms of ME3, almost all of the MP DLC has been free. And you're missing out on a hell of a lot of fun (if a bit grindy) MP co-op mode, ME3 MP is pretty damn good if you ignore the fucking horrid lobby system which makes multiple players on a LAN joining a game almost impossible...

In terms of TR, I've heard the MP is fun (and from videos it looks like it) but *surprise sur-fucking-prise* I have not been able to join a single game. No server browser, just a "click and pray" for a random game. It tries to connect a couple of times, gives up and dumps me in a lobby where no one ever joins the game (left it sitting there for 30 mins once and never saw another player join).

Meh, I got my monies worth from TR, I think they're wasting their time but g'luck to em.

38. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 17:53 kyleb

gobehz wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 12:30:
Moog wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 10:14:
Check out May Payne 3 then - more cut scene than game!
would you rather just look at a loading screen?
I'd prefer the option to skip the rest of the cutscene as soon as the loading is completed, like so many other games allow.

37. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 17:09 saluk

I almost never buy dlc - sp or mp. I assume that mp dlc tends to sell better than sp (for games that have it) because they are always immediately accessible - you don't have to have completed the game for it to be relevant - and they actually grant you something tangible. If it's a new outfit, you can actually go show it off in mp, and if you are perhaps in the younger generation and care about such things, seeing a bunch of people running around with cool stuff you don't have would be a major incentive.

But this just seems really wrong to me on so many levels. A Tomb Raider game with a bunch of mp expansion content? WTF?

36. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:53 entr0py

Yeah, the design philosophy of the game seemed to be to idiot proof everything, and challenging puzzles would go against that.

My favorite example is when you get near a 'secret tomb' it sets off a cacophony of bells, "secret tomb discovered" is splashed on the screen, and there will be half a dozen arrows painted all over pointing towards the entrance.

35. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:33 Xero

I think the single most disappointing thing in the entire game, multi-player aside, are the puzzles. They are very easy and generally require only 1 piece figuring out to achieve the reward.

Tomb Raider Underworld (my favorite previous TR title), had some awesome puzzles that involved a lot of work with hardly any action involved during the time of figuring it out.

This TR feels a lot more action based with puzzle's put on the second thought. It's not completely a bad thing considering they handled it well, but this feels a lot less puzzle and more action oriented than any other TR that I played.

BTW-Who else misses deep sea diving or any type of diving in a TR? They should have at least included some sort of diving/underwater moment. Just don't give her nearly infinite breath while underwater, lol.

Currently playing: Skyrim

34. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:25 WyldKat

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:17:
InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:29:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:17:
Speaking of QTEs, when will this horrid design crutch die already?
When games are no longer made for people with numb minds?

In the 90's we had cutscenes, in the 00's we have QTEs. Id like to go back to the cutscenes please, they might be just as immersion breaking but at least I dont have the feeling of finger raping my keyboard or mouse.

As long as they aren't those 90s cutscenes with real actors in them. Eep...

Unless we're talking about Wing Commander 3/4... or Under A Killing Moon...

33. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:17 AngelicPenguin

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:29:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:17:
Speaking of QTEs, when will this horrid design crutch die already?
When games are no longer made for people with numb minds?

In the 90's we had cutscenes, in the 00's we have QTEs. Id like to go back to the cutscenes please, they might be just as immersion breaking but at least I dont have the feeling of finger raping my keyboard or mouse.

As long as they aren't those 90s cutscenes with real actors in them. Eep...

32. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 16:02 theyarecomingforyou

I'm disappointed that there won't be any singleplayer DLC or expansions, especially to focus on multiplayer DLC. I'm really not a fan of competitive multiplayer games any more, as I just don't have the motivation to sink hundreds of hours to learn all the exploits and memorise the levels - I'm fine with team based multiplayer, but my favourite is co-op.

As for the game, aside from the technical issues I really enjoyed it. The game took me 11hrs to complete (my brother told me it took him 7hrs) and 18hrs to 100%. While I'm kinda glad that I took the time to find all the items, as I'm a huge Tomb Raider fan, I found it pretty tedious - trying to find tiny items that are difficult to see, even with the Survival Instinct. It really is for the OCD types, not for those who actually enjoy gaming.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 15:57 jacobvandy

WyldKat wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 15:25:
It's a Tomb Raider game, and they nailed the puzzle platforming this time.

FTFY

30. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 15:25 WyldKat

That's really a damn shame. I've been playing TR single player and I absolutely love it, even with the QTEs which I think it would have been better without.

The multiplayer modes just didn't make any sense, the only thing that would have made sense was perhaps a CoOp campaign with CoOp puzzle solving like that Guardian of Light game. I have absolutely zero desire to run around and shoot at people in Tomb Raider, I'll do that stuff in ARMA 3 Alpha. However solving puzzles and collecting relics with friends? That sounds fun! It's a Tomb Raider game, and they nailed the puzzle platforming this time. I want to RAID TOMBS.

29. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 14:21 Tim Collins

I'd rather have single player released and completed when the game gets launched, good job. Good luck with the M-DLC.  

28. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 13:46 nin

I gotta lay off the sauce!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: No Plans for Single-Player Tomb Raider Expansions Mar 20, 2013, 13:41 jdreyer

Good on them for no SP DLC. Just make the next game please.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo