Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Interviews

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 10:06 Verno

ItBurn wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:55:
I'm not sure Garriot is such a good designer, but I sure agree with what he's saying. It's something I've been thinking for a while. Designers are so damn lazy. They can't be bothered to even consider balancing game systems. They act like it's impossible. It's not f-ing impossible, spend time on it, do it properly. Old school designers have done it for a long time. This is just one of the aspects of course.

I don't think we can blame designers for lack of innovation though. This is because of publishers and investors. They basically want to make clones of games that made a lot of money. It's much safer.

I agree with what you're saying. No one really can afford to because publishers have no patience for that stuff, it sucks. I don't think that designers can't or don't want to do these things, it's just a question of time, cost and in some cases desire (fucking streamlining bullshit). They want hard and fast 30 day sales based on metacritic ratings, visual bling and short lived products that they can recycle. There are exceptions though thankfully. This is why the indie scene on Steam is so important, many of those guys are going to be the game designers of the next 20-30 years. I just wish they could all stop making 2D platformers please (exaggerating obviously)

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:55 Beamer

I know Walking Dead used it, too, but that's 1 button in cut scenes.

I don't much consider 1 button in the occasional cut scene to be a true QTE. When I think true QTE I really think of all those terrible games from, say, 2004-2008 that had actual gameplay based around QTEs. You'd have to hit 4 to 8 in a row, in quick sequence.

Games that do it now usually put it into a cut scene, and often it's not a hit X or die situation, it's a hit X or lose an NPC/get a lesser ending/etc.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:55 ItBurn

I'm not sure Garriot is such a good designer, but I sure agree with what he's saying. It's something I've been thinking for a while. Designers are so damn lazy. They can't be bothered to even consider balancing game systems. They act like it's impossible. It's not f-ing impossible, spend time on it, do it properly. Old school designers have done it for a long time. This is just one of the aspects of course.

I don't think we can blame designers for lack of innovation though. This is because of publishers and investors. They basically want to make clones of games that made a lot of money. It's much safer.

9. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:54 netnerd85

Moog wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:48:
I’ve met virtually no one…who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am.

Because Tabula Rasa was *such* a good game!

Should have left that ego in orbit.
What an arrogant mother fucker he is

8. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:48 Moog

I’ve met virtually no one…who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am.

Because Tabula Rasa was *such* a good game!

Should have left that ego in orbit.

7. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:40 Verno

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:35:
Doesnt the new Tomb Raider use them a fair ammount?

Yep, there are several recent ones, not to mention the hundreds of games that featured them over the past ten years. Most FPS and many TPS games feature them still. They are far from a dead trend unfortunately.

6. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:35 InBlack

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:30:
Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:25:
What games are you playing, Verno, with QTEs?

I mean, I guess the very last thing you do in Dishonored is arguably a QTE, and maybe you can argue that taking down a brute in SR3 was, but that's one button. In Dishonored it made perfect sense.

But it's been years, and I mean years, since I've seen games like the ones that were in the late era of the original Xbox where you'd be a superhero falling down a hole and have "Y" flash on the screen and need to hit, then "X", then "B", all in quick sequence like a damn rhythm game.

Like, seriously. I have not seen that in a game in years. Maybe I'm playing the wrong (err... right) games, but QTEs seem pretty much dead to me, but some people still complain. It reminds me of old people complaining about how much nu-metal sucks even though it's so far dead that no one even remembers any of the bands anymore. There are new things to hate.

Farcry 3 used QTEs a decent amount. Aside from that, I can't think of any recent games that do.

Doesnt the new Tomb Raider use them a fair ammount?

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:30 Fibrocyte

Beamer wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:25:

I mean, I guess the very last thing you do in Dishonored is arguably a QTE, and maybe you can argue that taking down a brute in SR3 was, but that's one button. In Dishonored it made perfect sense.

But it's been years, and I mean years, since I've seen games like the ones that were in the late era of the original Xbox where you'd be a superhero falling down a hole and have "Y" flash on the screen and need to hit, then "X", then "B", all in quick sequence like a damn rhythm game.

Like, seriously. I have not seen that in a game in years. Maybe I'm playing the wrong (err... right) games, but QTEs seem pretty much dead to me, but some people still complain. It reminds me of old people complaining about how much nu-metal sucks even though it's so far dead that no one even remembers any of the bands anymore. There are new things to hate.

Farcry 3 used QTEs a decent amount. Aside from that, I can't think of any recent games that do.

4. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:25 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:11 Verno

I'm sure this will invite a lot of "what have you done for me lately?" posts on Garriott but he has some good points. Most designers these days seem hellbent on pandering to the lowest common denominator with horrible game mechanics like QTEs and busywork. I'm not sure why videogames think they need to be movies to such a literal degree either, many recent AAA entries resemble movies more than interactive games.  

2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 09:08 InBlack

I kind of have to agree with Garriot, he makes a good point and it makes sense when we look at the current crop of AAA titles. No one is innovating, not that Im saying that everything has to be innovative all the time, but even the rehashes fail hard with what should be simple gameplay ideas.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 08:33 eRe4s3r

Would explain the constant rehashes with 0 new ideas..  

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo