Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well happy spring to those in the northern hemisphere, and condolences about the beginning of autumn to those below the equator. The equinox was at 11:02 UTC (7:02 am EDT), and just for extra authenticity, that is the time right now as I type these words. The now-ended winter was not too horrible, but as noted yesterday, it was long, to the extent that there's still snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, though it doesn't sound like it will be much. I'm not usually big on checking out the weather in advance, but I have been eager to take the wraps off Manstovia for the spring for weeks now, so now I'm scoping the weather report for reasons for optimism. And I have succeeded in giving life to hope, as the weekend looks sunny, and they are calling for a high of 43 F on Saturday and 47 F Sunday, so it sounds like Sunday may be my day.

Sprung Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Liquid 2.
Stories: In snow-socked Northeast, spring seems far away.
Posing as fat cat, woman squatted in mini-mansions. Thanks Devicer.
Science: Golf Channel Is Using A Drone To Film Golfers. Thanks Slashdot.
Large asteroid heading to Earth? Pray, says NASA.
Media: Biting Elbows - 'Bad Motherf*cker' (Insane Office Escape 2).
Lego paper plane folding machine V2.0.
Auction: 1,000-year-old Chinese bowl sells for over $2.22M.
Follow-up: 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' casts new Norman Osborn.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 23:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:54:
Anyway, we're definitely below seasonal at this point. This leads me to believe it's going to be a cool, or at least short summer. Bleh!
Ah I dunno about that man, my memory is pretty spotty anymore but I remember springs where we still had good snowfalls right into april where they were covering up my daffodil's and iris, but we had a right down hot, even balmy humid summer. That was when I was a kid so 20ish years ago.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 22:22 Ghengis Khan

As an Australian, I've always been amused by Americans' definition of summer as starting on midsummer's day. However, I admit we're in the minority with our definition of summer starting on December 1st.

Happy equinox though!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 20:01 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 16:54:
Yeah,even the 7 day right no is showing temps hovering around freezing for the next week. Sigh. Spring my ass! I love the historical data on the weather website...record high for this day in March 1946 was 27C! The low? - 27C 1868! Anyway, we're definitely below seasonal at this point. This leads me to believe it's going to be a cool, or at least short summer. Bleh!

Winter is coming.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 16:54 Cutter

Yeah,even the 7 day right no is showing temps hovering around freezing for the next week. Sigh. Spring my ass! I love the historical data on the weather website...record high for this day in March 1946 was 27C! The low? - 27C 1868! Anyway, we're definitely below seasonal at this point. This leads me to believe it's going to be a cool, or at least short summer. Bleh!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 16:43 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 12:33:
About the same here. We've doubled our amount of snow from last year and broken all sorts of local records. We just got dumped on again a few days ago and more is coming. We've run out of places to store it all!
Hah. Sounds like us about 3-4 years ago, we had some really serious storms roll through parts of the lakes, and where I'm at we had 18ft snow drifts, shut down the 401 several times and all the rest. What's funny is that even with the temperatures last year hitting the mid 70's, it didn't break any records. The record high for yesterday was 76.2F in 2000, the previous time before that was 76.1F in 1945. Though that was the only record broken in the last 60 years. The old records from the 30's and 40's still held with them temps being in the high 70's to low 80's.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 15:39 xXBatmanXx

Warmed up a titch here, currently 14F with a 4F windchill..., was -10 windchill this am on my way to work. Hurts the face and hands just being in it....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 14:45 Hoop

Moving into crisp cool mornings here but have some good temps forecast for the next few weeks then that will be it. Just as well the country is in it's worst farming drought in 50-100 years after what was a brilliant Summer for the rest of us.
Just need to finish painting parts of the house exterior put the garden to bed & I'm good to go.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2013, 14:58.

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 12:33 NegaDeath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 12:21:
It's spring? There's still a 1/8" of freezing rain on everything, it's 24F, and they're calling for 2" of snow between today and tomorrow. Last year it was 76F.

About the same here. We've doubled our amount of snow from last year and broken all sorts of local records. We just got dumped on again a few days ago and more is coming. We've run out of places to store it all!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 12:25 Creston

First comment on that Asteroid story is priceless:

This is an easy one. Put a Cubs uniform on the asteroid and you render it incapable of hitting anything.

Hehehehe.

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 12:21 Mashiki Amiketo

It's spring? There's still a 1/8" of freezing rain on everything, it's 24F, and they're calling for 2" of snow between today and tomorrow. Last year it was 76F.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 12:05 SimplyMonk

Blue wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:59:
Ant wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:27:
It feels like winter for L.A. area. :O

Low 70s?

66, thank you very much! I think I'll go outside with pants on today.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 09:59  Blue 

Ant wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:27:

Low 70s?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 09:27 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2013, 08:42 Mr. Tact

The first day of spring -- with a high of 27F. OY!  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo