Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

604Republic - The Descent of DLC.
Downloadable Content is the Anakin Skywalker of video gaming. A small addition which was meant to make things even better, but instead destroyed the good we already had.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2013, 08:28 Beamer

How much DLC has been worthwhile?

The first Fallout 3 DLC was, but that's because that was something that more likely than not belonged in the game.

Oblivion had some decent DLC. Shivering Isles, really. The rest wasn't so great.

Borderlands 2 had some substantive DLC, but it mostly sucked.

Saints Row 3 had missions, but I feel as if I plowed through them in 25-45 minutes.

Can't think of any other DLC I played. Outside of BL2, I've just played what came in GOTY editions.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2013, 07:20 Redmask

PropheT wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 03:38:
The process to fixing this is a pretty simple 2-step:

1) Get sick of gaming and the way that companies sell games and DLC
2) Stop buying into it.

Except, you have to wonder if that hasn't already happened since we've been talking about this for years now... an entire generation of consoles has come and is soon to be gone and this has only magnified over time, meaning it's pretty clear that people are buying it. The war about DLC is already over, and the people writing articles like this already lost five years ago and don't seem to have realized it yet.

If gamers really agreed that DLC was an evil that needed to be squashed, was an affront to gaming like he says here, or that only idiots ever paid money after the initial game then we wouldn't even be talking about it anymore.

Hell, sometimes I wonder if I'm really starting to lose my enjoyment of games or if it's just that I get depressed about the hobby because of the poisonous atmosphere everywhere you go to read about it.

This is a really poor rant. I can stop buying and you can stop buying DLC but it doesn't mean the rest of the market will. That is why people write articles and post things on the internet, to raise awareness and offer their point of view. Maybe it educates a few people, maybe it doesn't. The idea that people should just not buy it and never talk about their displeasure because it annoys forum person Prophet is ridiculous. There are plenty of people on the internet who seem to like it that I doubt you're perpetually surrounded by the negativity without it being a conscious choice.

Often times DLC will be included in games later on which is probably how many people experience it, I know the majority of mine is not bought directly but packed into games.

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2013, 05:34 Kajetan

PropheT wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 03:38:
Hell, sometimes I wonder if I'm really starting to lose my enjoyment of games or if it's just that I get depressed about the hobby because of the poisonous atmosphere everywhere you go to read about it.
Simple solution: If you dont like it, DO NOT READ IT!

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 20, 2013, 03:38 PropheT

I wish I hadn't read that.

I'm so tired of gaming articles written about how terrible gaming is, written by people who clearly hate all of it. People piss and moan and cry and whine about these things endlessly, and yet somehow have still played all of it and either like to post everywhere that it was just as shitty as they thought it was going to be when they put in their credit card number, or create articles that only people who agree with them are ever going to read in the first place to complain about it.

The process to fixing this is a pretty simple 2-step:

1) Get sick of gaming and the way that companies sell games and DLC
2) Stop buying into it.

Except, you have to wonder if that hasn't already happened since we've been talking about this for years now... an entire generation of consoles has come and is soon to be gone and this has only magnified over time, meaning it's pretty clear that people are buying it. The war about DLC is already over, and the people writing articles like this already lost five years ago and don't seem to have realized it yet.

If gamers really agreed that DLC was an evil that needed to be squashed, was an affront to gaming like he says here, or that only idiots ever paid money after the initial game then we wouldn't even be talking about it anymore.

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2013, 23:07 Prez

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 21:02:
So F2P is the Jar Jar Binks of the gaming world then?

Awesome analogy!

As far as the content of the article, I don't think it's quite as bleak as the author makes it sound on the DLC front - I have quite enjoyed the DLC campaigns for the Borderlands games - but if I see one more preorder "Season Pass" offer I may very well vomit.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2013, 21:02 Cutter

So F2P is the Jar Jar Binks of the gaming world then?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo