Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Oculus Rift Details

We have the official announcement of the Oculus Rift VR headset support for Team Fortress 2 revealed yesterday. Word is the patch to add Oculus Rift support will roll out in the "coming days," as reluctant as Valve is to update the teamplay shooter (they note it has only received 350 updates since debuting in 2007). Not only will this bring enhanced virtual reality to the game, but it will also earn supporters a new hat:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, and Left 4 Dead), today announced the addition of an experimental Virtual Reality mode to Team Fortress 2. The new mode will be released in the coming days as part of an update to the popular Free to Play game.

Anyone with an Oculus Rift Developer Kit will be able to use their device to play all of Team Fortress 2 on the PC. All game modes and classes are supported with the new Virtual Reality mode.

"When we first played an early version of Virtual Reality mode in Team Fortress we were blown away by the immersion we experienced.", said Joe Ludwig at Valve. "VR is just getting started, but it is going to have a big impact on gaming. This update will let us share that experience with more of the Team Fortress community."

"Valve's done an incredible job bringing Team Fortress 2 to virtual reality! TF2 is the most-played game in my Steam library, so you can imagine how excited I am to play it in the Rift with all of our backers," said Palmer Luckey, Founder of Oculus VR, Inc.

In addition to gaining access to the new Virtual Reality mode, owners of the Oculus Rift will also be granted a unique Oculus Rift in-game hat. Steam codes to redeem for this item will be sent out by Oculus.

Team Fortress 2 is Valve's Free to Play team-based online game. The game has had more than 350 updates since its release with The Orange Box in 2007.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 20, 2013, 05:13 InBlack

Tom wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 21:38:
turning your head while constantly having to keep your eyes locked on the same point in front is a completely different experience than being able to turn your head as much as you like and look anywhere

Yes it is. But my point is that Oculus Rift doesn't deliver that second experience you mention. It can't because you can only turn your head so far before you have to stop. This is a grave limitation when it comes to trying to create an experience that doesn't feel like piloting a vehicle. Since you can only turn your head so far, that means you MUST be able to turn your view using something other than just head tracking. So then you have two things that control the direction of your view: the head tracking, and that other thing. That works for vehicles but it feels totally messed up for just being a person trying to naturally look and move in the environment.

It seems to me that it would be too difficult and awkward to try to adapt to two control schemes that both affect your view direction for an FPS. People will end up preferring to disable the head tracking and go with keyboard+mouse to be practical. A hybrid scheme will be a novel thing but not practical for everyday gaming, just like the Razer Hydra - unless you have some special reason like a disability or something... Again, I'm only talking about FPS type games. Oculus Rift with the head tracking should be absolutely fantastic for vehicular scenarios.

I really dont understand your reasoning? Mouse + Keyboard WASD + Occulus rift! What exactly is the problem.

You move normaly as in using the mouse for mouselook(aim) + keyboard for strafing/moving, the rift is fixed on your virtual body and moves your virtual head.

I dont know how hard it would be to code, but it seems from a logical perspective it would be very easy to implement some kind of fixed virtual body, head solution.

So in essence you have a virtual neck centered on your crosshair. Your field of occulus movement is limited to a certain number of degrees from the crosshair axis and presto. Problem solved.

Basically for you its the same as if you are sitting in an invisible cockpit (with which you agree, there should be no problem)

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 20, 2013, 04:50 theyarecomingforyou

The videos / articles I've seen have been using the OR as a substitute for a mouse, which it shouldn't be. The mouse / controller r-stick should be used to control where you aim, while the keyboard / controller l-stick should be use to control your movement. That means strafing will have to be replaced with turning or changed using a modified (when you hold Shift you strafe; when you don't you turn). If that were the case then the OR would give you an advantage over traditional inputs.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

25. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 21:38 Tom

turning your head while constantly having to keep your eyes locked on the same point in front is a completely different experience than being able to turn your head as much as you like and look anywhere

Yes it is. But my point is that Oculus Rift doesn't deliver that second experience you mention. It can't because you can only turn your head so far before you have to stop. This is a grave limitation when it comes to trying to create an experience that doesn't feel like piloting a vehicle. Since you can only turn your head so far, that means you MUST be able to turn your view using something other than just head tracking. So then you have two things that control the direction of your view: the head tracking, and that other thing. That works for vehicles but it feels totally messed up for just being a person trying to naturally look and move in the environment.

It seems to me that it would be too difficult and awkward to try to adapt to two control schemes that both affect your view direction for an FPS. People will end up preferring to disable the head tracking and go with keyboard+mouse to be practical. A hybrid scheme will be a novel thing but not practical for everyday gaming, just like the Razer Hydra - unless you have some special reason like a disability or something... Again, I'm only talking about FPS type games. Oculus Rift with the head tracking should be absolutely fantastic for vehicular scenarios.

24. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 21:16 1badmf

i think you're completely understating the inherent unnaturalness of trackir - turning your head while constantly having to keep your eyes locked on the same point in front is a completely different experience than being able to turn your head as much as you like and look anywhere. it's not just a problem of range of motion, but a completely different experience, and i think with the natural motions of looking around with the rift, i could easily adapt to looking with the head tracking while controling body direction/movement with a controller or kb/mouse. it may require an OSD that indicates body/head relative direction, but i'm already somewhat accustomed to that from driving tanks in battlefield. it'll certainly be much easier to get used to than straining my eyes to keep looking fwd while turning my head as far as vision allows.  

23. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 20:58 Tom

Having to look away from the image is an issue with TrackIR, but I don't think it's the main issue. You can only turn your head so far anyway before you run into the limits of the range of motion of your head. This leaves Oculus Rift's head tracking maybe only 1.5x as good as TrackIR's in terms of range of motion, which is nowhere near enough for an FPS where you need to be able to turn infinitely, and very quickly at that - at least to have a chance of working anywhere near as well as a traditional mouse+keyboard scheme.

The main issue of TrackIR applied to an FPS or any other non-vehicular scenario is the same problem faced by Oculus Rift, with no solution. Head tracking only gives you one directional vector: the direction the person's head is pointing in. There's no good feeling way to use this vector for both view direction and movement direction. Even if you combine this with keyboard, mouse, controller, or some combination, I doubt the head tracking will be able to contribute in a useful and good feeling way.

The experience of piloting a mech or any other vehicle is really a different experience than being a person walking around. Head tracking works great for the former, not so great for the latter. If Oculus Rift can somehow break out of the vehicular box that head tracking is stuck in, that would truly be revolutionary. But given that nobody was ever able to do it with TrackIR, I doubt it's going to happen.

22. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 20:13 TurdFergasun

the main issue of track ir though is that you're constantly moving your field of vision away from the display source, as well as the odd array of led's to accentuate your head motion so when you're looking 15 degrees to the right but track ir is giving you 30-50 degrees of motion to compensate for the fixed image source, this i find totally unnatural. With the gyro + positions sensor based system on the rift it will be 1:1 and the image source will track with you.

In fps games the head tracking will control your head, and the mouse controls your aim + torso at least from my understanding, which should make for a similar experience to piloting a mech. IMO they should limit the head motion in FPS to a horizontal 180 degrees maximum from your torso position, and reset back to center if your turn your torso to match so you're not always running out of mouse pad or turning 360 degrees in your chair.

21. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 18:07 Sleep

Asmo wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 17:38:
InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 10:12:
I just thought of something, survival horror shooters are never going to be the same again with this thing.....

Oh ffs, can you imagine Amnesia on this fucking thing...

May need to order some adult diapers...

As for headlook/mouselook etc, I don't know how it will work. VR "just works" when you're talking a fixed player location, ie. seated in a mech or plane or car. You use your head to look around but you're always rooted in a constant location (even if that location happens to be mobile). In FPS, your body is in constant motion and if you have headlook independent of mouselook, I think it'll rapidly get confusing as to where your cross hair is pointed (we're so used to aiming at the middle of the screen for example). Can you imagine using a head controller for your aim point and trying to rocket jump..?

I think it will be like trackir, a steep learning curve then indispensable. Im presuming theyve got a setup theyre happy with in TF2 to be releasing the 'test'. Its going to be really interesting seeing this live,

20. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 18:07 Tom

Based on extensive experience with TrackIR as both a user and a developer, and some similar but more limited experience with the Razer Hydra, I'm very doubtful that a good solution is going to emerge in this case. Sure, there's more incentive now, with the Oculus Rift being way cooler tech than either of those, but it's still just a fundamental problem with possibly no good solution.

I see the Oculus Rift as sharing the same constraints as TrackIR: works great in a fixed cockpit, not so much in a free roaming environment. It's a very old VR problem too. I've never heard of a solution that is even remotely competitive with mouse+keyboard for movement/view control.

For free-roaming FPS type scenarios, maybe people will end up disabling the motion tracking of the Oculus Rift and just using it as a spiffy 3D monitor, using the mouse+keyboard as usual..? I suspect that could be a tough pill to swallow after experiencing the immersion that the motion tracking adds.

Note that Valve also enhanced Portal 2 and TF2 to work with the Razer Hydra. The solution in this case (and all other FPS scenarios) is to learn a special skill they (Hydra/Sixense community) call ratcheting. It's the motion controller equivalent of lifting your mouse up, moving it over, and dropping it back down when you run out of space. Well, something that is very quick and natural with the mouse doesn't translate well to different devices, at least not the Hydra. It's a PITA and sucks all of the coolness right out of the experience. Maybe it's not so bad once you get used to it, and maybe I would think the same thing about the mouse if I was just starting to use it now, but I kinda doubt it.

Anyway. Things are going to get real interesting once the consumer version of the Oculus Rift is actually released. If it works well with DCS and a non-sucking Star Citizen, I might just be in heaven.

19. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 17:38 Asmo

InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 10:12:
I just thought of something, survival horror shooters are never going to be the same again with this thing.....

Oh ffs, can you imagine Amnesia on this fucking thing...

May need to order some adult diapers...

As for headlook/mouselook etc, I don't know how it will work. VR "just works" when you're talking a fixed player location, ie. seated in a mech or plane or car. You use your head to look around but you're always rooted in a constant location (even if that location happens to be mobile). In FPS, your body is in constant motion and if you have headlook independent of mouselook, I think it'll rapidly get confusing as to where your cross hair is pointed (we're so used to aiming at the middle of the screen for example). Can you imagine using a head controller for your aim point and trying to rocket jump..?

18. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 17:36 Sleep

The tilting up and down simulates G-force I suppose? Youre right, with a total immersion setup like the Rift that would be heart attack inducing. Five years and I must have one.  

17. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 17:04 TurdFergasun

theglaze wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 12:45:
TF2 with VR is a reach.

One of the best genres will be racing sims. You want immersion? How about a hydraulic sim seat with VR? I'm going to start saving up now...

simexperience meh, a glorified buttkicker is all that is, notice how the monitor and the wheel are static and motionless? not a fan, although some are for some weird reason as that setup is just as expensive as a proper motion setup with full 3DOF.

proper sim chair

of course you could always push things further

kriegersim2000

this plus oculus rift = splooge.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 17:09.

16. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 17:02 Cyanotetyphas

Glad a big company is bringing its heft in to figure out some of the UI issues. Seems like theres a lot of ways to go about this but its only going to take off if someone can find a "natural" mode of play rather than a "cool" additive.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

15. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 16:33 nin

Sir Graves wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 16:30:
Dang, TF2 Valve? Nah, Left 4 Dead 2 is what I'm really wanting to play on the Rift! That will be insane.

Also, Arma 3 and Minecraft.

I would think (or at least hope) once they get it running in the engine, getting it in other source games would be a no brainer.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 16:30 Sir Graves

Dang, TF2 Valve? Nah, Left 4 Dead 2 is what I'm really wanting to play on the Rift! That will be insane.

Also, Arma 3 and Minecraft.

13. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 14:13 Bob

SXO wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 13:46:
If they patched in Oculus Rift support into HL2, that would give me another reason to play through the game again.

Some community member already has on the mtbs3d.com forums with a downloadable version.

It can also do disconnected looking/shooting if you have an extra IMU/tracker to stick on a gun controller.

Edit, link: Half-Life 2 VR mod with head tracking (download now)

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 14:18.

12. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 13:46 SXO

If they patched in Oculus Rift support into HL2, that would give me another reason to play through the game again.  

11. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 13:06 Axis

theglaze wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 12:45:
TF2 with VR is a reach.

One of the best genres will be racing sims. You want immersion? How about a hydraulic sim seat with VR? I'm going to start saving up now...

That'd be fun to play for 10 minutes or so to me -- not knocking what other find fun, just not for me.

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 12:45 theglaze

TF2 with VR is a reach.

9. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 19, 2013, 12:39 John

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 10:10:
I hope they give games options in world looking. I would like to be able to put games back into a mouselook mode when I don't want to use my head for tracking. If they go full VR and no mouselook option, then I may not be interested. My first step for VR was just getting full screen immersion.
I'm thinking the keyboard and mouse will still be used like normal, while the VR will allow you to look around in the direction that the cursor is pointing. I haven't really looked into it though but that would be cool.

This space is available for rent

8. Re: TF2 Oculus Rift Details Mar 19, 2013, 12:37 Axis

Valve getting behind a technology is gold. Hope this thing actually works well...  

Yours truly,

Axis

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo