Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals

The Kickstarter campaign for Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues has surpassed its funding goal of one million dollars with almost three weeks remaining in the fundraiser for Richard "Lord British" Garriott's new RPG project. As a result, some new stretch goals are now revealed, showing the game's design will incorporate a pet system when they hit the $1.1 million mark, and that $1.2 million in pledges will add seasonal weather to the game.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 20, 2013, 10:03 ItBurn

To me this still looks hooooorible.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 20:35 Silicon Avatar

I share the same sentiment. I got in at $25 mostly to see what Richard Garriot can do. I'm not 100% that he is even a good designer anymore, but I'll give him one more shot for old time's sake.  

9. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 20:05 wtf_man

I got in early for the $25 first responder level... While I'm not overly positive about this particular backing... I figured what the heck... see if Richard can do something without publisher BS, and see whether he is really washed up or not. I'm not expecting some huge AAA RPG, but a modern take on the earlier Ulitmas can't be that bad of a thing, IMO.

And you CAN play it completely offline - For those that didn't bother reading the update:

Here are the ways we anticipate the game can be played:

Single player offline:
This is the DRM free, completely off-line version of the game. Your character is stored on your computer and can not be used in any of the online modes.

Single Player Online (SPO)
In the SPO mode you connect to the server, receive content updates, and can see the long term changes others are having on the world. However, you are not visible on anyone elseís screen, nor for grouping, and you donít see anyone else in the world. You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map. Some parts of the main storyline quests may temporarily force the player into SPO mode for some parts of the quest.

Friends Play Online (FPO)
In friends play online, you only see people you have flagged as friends in the game and only they can see you. Like single player, this is just a server side filter. For those who prefer the quieter game with friends or maybe for those who prefer a more focused role playing experience, this lets you enjoy a more limited online experience. You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.

Open Play Online (OPO)
In OPO players will see everyone that the server thinks they should see. This will not necessarily be all people in the area but should be people you care the most about based on what we believe is their relevance to you.

For the most part, OPO will feel like an MMO. Lots of social interaction options with friends and other players. We are trying to distinguish ourselves from traditional MMOs only in that, unlike a normal MMO players are frequently connected directly to each other instead of all data flowing through our servers. We believe this will provide numerous advantages to both players and our service, but does differ from a traditional MMO in that the upper limit of players simultaneously on one map may be restricted.

8. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 19:34 jacobvandy

Domgrief wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 12:55:
The more I think about it, the less sense stretch goals make.

I can see why it's popular - it encourages more and continued investment - but what happens if that million dollars isn't enough to get the core game done properly?

I'd much rather have that $100,000 spent on making sure the game is fun than on ensuring that it has seasonal weather.

That is an issue of trusting the project creator(s) to know what the hell they're doing. If you can look at the finished product and say that, even without the fancy weather or whatever else is added later, the game is not so good, then there's an issue and they will receive appropriate feedback.

7. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 18:31 Gymper

Meh, this is Ultima. Seasonal weather should be close to NPC schedules and non-linear questing in terms of core game. This is in, right? Pets, eh, not so much...  

6. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 16:37 jdreyer

Xil wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 10:26:
I was not sure about this when it started, but ultima with pets... no thank you

What are party members but bipedal pets?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 13:20 Paranoid Jack

I've been unsure the whole time... also due to the in game footage which threw me off. Then I remembered some of my favorite games of all time have had outdated grapics.

As far as this being Ultima Anything. Its not suppose to be a direct sequel is it? They are just drawing from his history and the past games. Have you checked out their video updated? It sounds better the more I hear about it.

And as far as the online options they sound great to me but they are just options. You're not forced to use it but my guess is that you will. Like I said the more I hear and read the more interested I am.

Either way if this goes south this will be my last go with Lord British.

From what I understand the game is a mix of genres. And it sounds great though I'm not sure how many of their promises will come out as good as they sound.

edit: My S3 sometimes cuts off the bottom of my post if I go back to edit or spell correct. Weird.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 23:15.

4. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 12:55 Domgrief

The more I think about it, the less sense stretch goals make.

I can see why it's popular - it encourages more and continued investment - but what happens if that million dollars isn't enough to get the core game done properly?

I'd much rather have that $100,000 spent on making sure the game is fun than on ensuring that it has seasonal weather.

3. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 11:14 Necrophob

They have Tracy Hickman as lead story guy now...might have to donate now.  

2. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 10:36 nin

Yeah, good luck to them, but I didn't care for the online focus. Had it just been a straight SP game, I might have had more interest. But even then, the proof of concept graphics didn't exactly inspire me (granted, those can change).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 10:26 Xil

I was not sure about this when it started, but ultima with pets... no thank you  

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo