Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Wired.com - Forget the Cellphone Fight ó We Should Be Allowed to Unlock Everything We Own. Thanks Ant.
It hasnít always been that way. Copyright laws were originally designed to protect creativity and promote innovation. But now, they are doing exactly the opposite: Theyíre being used to keep independent shops from fixing new cars. Theyíre making it almost impossible for farmers to maintain their equipment. And, as weíve seen in the past few weeks, theyíre preventing regular people from unlocking their own cellphones.

This isnít an issue that only affects the digerati; farmers are bearing the brunt as well. Kerry Adams, a family farmer in Santa Maria, California, recently bought two transplanter machines for north of $100,000 apiece. They broke down soon afterward, and he had to fly a factory technician out to fix them.

Because manufacturers have copyrighted the service manuals, local mechanics canít fix modern equipment. And todayís equipment ó packed with sensors and electronics ó is too complex to repair without them. Thatís a problem for farmers, who canít afford to pay the dealerís high maintenance fees for fickle equipment.

View
10. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 19, 2013, 13:08 Ozmodan

Read the article, it is not just about farmers it is about everyone. If you buy anything, copyright law can prevent you from touching it. -1 for reading comprehension!.

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 12:23:
InBlack wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 11:59:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 11:51:
"Kerry Adams, a family farmer in Santa Maria, California, recently bought two transplanter machines for north of $100,000 apiece. They broke down soon afterward, and he had to fly a factory technician out to fix them.

Thatís a problem for farmers, who canít afford to pay the dealerís high maintenance fees for fickle equipment."

First farmers and crying woe is me is a lifestyle, they are some of the richest people in my part of the world, their daughters have the best of everything and look like Hollywood models on top of riches. But that is the secondary point.

This is an exaggeration as "soon afterward" those machines would still be under warranty and those techs flew and fixed on their own dime. Now down the road...

As we say around here, "I guess the farmer should have researched their purchase more before buying, now they are stuck with Sim City."

However, overall to the point, yeah it sucks, but it also is a cost of high-tech.

Just like Beamer, you are missing the point. Point being, the equipment/tech is locked down ARTIFICIALLY. Its not something that is necessary for the tech, or something that brings down costs. Thats all bullshit, its locked down so that the consumer ends up being beholden to the carrier/dealership/manufacturer. That is the MAIN reason the consumer gets it cheaper or at rates.

Did you guys get the point of the comic at the beginning of the article or did the humour escape you?

I just went off the blurb here. My point is farmers cry, farmers rich, farmer had warranty anyway, still bitches. Farmer should have researched better.

I get that people don't like being locked down, but it's yet just another part of our lives closing in and being more controlled. I'm not happy about the gov't can secretly put a GPS device on your car without court order. I'm unhappy about a lot of things, whiny farmers is one to. One side wants to reduce gov't so there is no reigns on what business can impose on us, I am against that, f this is part of that, then burnt it down to the ground.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Mar 19, 09:40 Re: Op Ed Beamer
  2. Mar 19, 10:08  Re: Op Ed InBlack
  3. Mar 19, 10:18   Re: Op Ed Beamer
  4. Mar 19, 10:29    Re: Op Ed InBlack
  7. Mar 19, 12:00     Re: Op Ed Quboid
  17. Mar 19, 15:24      Re: Op Ed Beamer
  16. Mar 19, 15:19     Re: Op Ed Beamer
  20. Mar 19, 17:52      Re: Op Ed SimplyMonk
  21. Mar 19, 17:53       Re: Op Ed SimplyMonk
  23. Mar 19, 20:19      Re: Op Ed TurdFergasun