Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed

The EA Forums now offer details on the promise of a free game to compensate SimCity owners for the botched launch of the urban planning sequel. Anyone with a registered copy of SimCity by the end of March 25th will be entitled to download one of the following games from Origin through March 30th:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

View
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

123. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 19, 2013, 10:33 Quboid

I'd quibble about a few details, but that LGR review pretty much nails it.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

122. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 19, 2013, 07:08 Redmask

edaciousx wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 01:11:
Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:12:
edaciousx wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:53:
Yes, it is a decent gesture which is the point I was making. At least you got something as opposed to 100% nothing. What did blizzard give their customers for the Diablo 3 issue? Nothing.

I'm hoping this is just forgetfulness on your part and not outright dishonesty but Blizzard gave consumers a direct refund for 90 days following the release as an apology, regardless of how much they had played the game. So yes they gave consumers something, they gave them their money back, something EA has failed to do. A token gesture from a free game is fine but money speaks louder than free games. That's in addition to the extra patched content they've produced since then, something I doubt EA will be doing much of outside of bug fixes. People can rail at Blizzard about the quality of D3 and I will be right there with them but they stand behind their products.

Outright dishonesty? Come on, that's childish. I had no clue that they gave refunds out, I wish I would have known since I never wanted to purchase it in the first place... was pressured by friends.

Read your own post, you seemed pretty convinced that they didn't which is why I said that. I don't agree with their design choices but the fact is that they are a better company than EA and stood behind their product by offering a no questions asked refund for a long time.

So, aside from all the bugs and rage against online only mode, is the game good? Thinking about grabbing this and Dead Space 3.

This is a pretty honest review of it: http://youtu.be/GV_94TQUvBA some rage about the online mode but a lot of good info about what the game does right and more importantly all of its dumb limitations.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 07:14.

121. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 19, 2013, 04:09 Slick

Texas Jake wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:42:
again, welcome to the wide world of gaming, sometimes the first week after launch is a bit shakey. especially with titles which are widely-publicized as online-only. how many mmo launches have resulted in a second free game exactly? care to name a few off hand?

This ^

Unfortunately the ragers aren't going to consider that, because the last SimCity from 10 years ago didn't require you to be online so they're somehow entitled to stuff because this one does and it took them a few days to iron out problems.

EA fixed the game, it's fun now. Time to move on.

yeah, good to know there's a fellow realist out there with me. cheers mate. i'll see you at the super secret after-party where EA showers us apologists with money and champagne enemas

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:31:
Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:20:
1) so a year's head's up isn't enough? who out there didn't know this game was online-only? if so then i'm sorry, but you're not a savvy consumer and do absolutely no research into the products you buy before throwing your dollars at them, can't help you there.

*looks at floor, blushes*

It wasn't just lack of research, I had been told and I forgot. It was an impulse buy and I messed up.

Hey no harm no foul, I bought Crysis 2 on an impulse buy when they told me that they'd fix the fact that aiming down sights doesn't slow down your, umm aiming? if that makes sense? your reticule scrubs just as fast while in ADS than without it, this to me is unplayable. they said they'd fix it in crysis 2, So far i've heard the same thing for Crysis 3 on PC. I have some fellow teammates who made the snap decision to buy it, and they're telling me the same story, still isn't fixed.

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:48:

If you look at his post history, he already has quite an history of lying and deceiving. Steamguard as a sort of DRM is just one example of him lying and Dev can back me up on this since when Slick was called out on it by Dev he never replied.

Wow. love the slander. fox news called, they want their lead writer back. how far off topic do you have to reach to try and hurt me? you have a real hard-on for me you know? it's okay, it only tickles my fancy. If i'm Jon Stewart, you're definitely my Bill O'Reilly. Not quite Rush Limbaugh, but you're working at it. Not sure why i'm even taking your troll bait but just to leave it rest once and for all. Ok. i was wrong i DID NOT know that the steamguard was optional. All i knew was that one day when i started using steam on a new computer, it now asked me to verify with an email confirmation code. that's it. this does not detract that steam is as much DRM as origin is DRM. waaaay off topic here. next time try to give me a low blow on the issue at hand, and i might gain some respect for you.

120. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 19, 2013, 04:09 Slick

edaciousx wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 01:11:
Yes, it is a decent gesture which is the point I was making. At least you got something as opposed to 100% nothing. What did blizzard give their customers for the Diablo 3 issue? Nothing.

I'm hoping this is just forgetfulness on your part and not outright dishonesty but Blizzard gave consumers a direct refund for 90 days following the release as an apology, regardless of how much they had played the game. So yes they gave consumers something, they gave them their money back, something EA has failed to do. A token gesture from a free game is fine but money speaks louder than free games. That's in addition to the extra patched content they've produced since then, something I doubt EA will be doing much of outside of bug fixes. People can rail at Blizzard about the quality of D3 and I will be right there with them but they stand behind their products.

Outright dishonesty? Come on, that's childish. I had no clue that they gave refunds out, I wish I would have known since I never wanted to purchase it in the first place... was pressured by friends.

SERIOUSLY! i wish i knew i could have gotten a refund for that POS game. "auction house 3". I thought that there was going to be newly-generated levels! like in the earlier titles! instead it's a 10 hour campaign that you're "gently encouraged" (to put it lightly) to play over and over again with a 2 or 3 sections which seem like they might be randomly generated. you don't make a 40 hour RPG by making the player replay a 10 hour RPG over 4 times!!! what nonsense was that!?

119. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 19, 2013, 01:11 edaciousx

118. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 23:55 Creston

Well, if they give you Mass Effect 3 for free, that's not a bad deal.

I wonder if Warfighter will get 5 downloads.

Creston

117. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 23:25 nin

Yifes wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 23:21:
So, aside from all the bugs and rage against online only mode, is the game good? Thinking about grabbing this and Dead Space 3.

Make sure they buy you dinner first...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

116. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 23:21 Yifes

115. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 23:20 Tanto Edge

......................//)
....................,/../
.................../..../
.............//'...'/`
........../'/.../..../......./\
........('(.......... ~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

SC4 Deluxe?? BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

114. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 22:56 ASeven

Reposting one of the fairest reviews of this game:

http://youtu.be/GV_94TQUvBA

113. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 22:36 Sepharo

They fixed the AI and removed an unnecessary always-online requirement? Hoooray!

112. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 22:34 Redmask

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 22:26:
OK, now that RPS quote is applicable.

The complaint against always-online is more than just "does it work now". That last SimCity from 10 years ago still works. I could still play it. I could play it during an 8 hour flight if I wanted to. Will this SimCity work in 10 years time? I very much doubt it, because it's at the mercy of EA and at some point, they will switch off their server and then it is gone.

This move by EA (and Ubisoft and Blizzard) does nothing but take control away from us. Whether it's for data mining, DRM or whatever, this do so very little but make gaming worse.

I don't like that, I'm not going to silently take it. I want publishers to know that we, their customers, aren't inconvenient potential criminals, but that we're essential to their survival. I'm not alone.

Thank you, well put. How many previous SimCity games required a persistent internet connection? How many other SimCity games didn't let you experiment as you wanted? Which other SimCity entries didn't allow you to save and load? The gameplay justifications for these things are dubious at best and they haven't resulted in a better product for the fans. People seem to forget that for the majority of this games development it was an offline title with optional multiplayer functionality. It was only in the last 11 months that they changed course due to direction from management at EA. The product vision comments from PR reps are meaningless, it was not designed that way originally and the changes aren't beneficial to anyone but EA.

111. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 22:26 Quboid

again, welcome to the wide world of gaming, sometimes the first week after launch is a bit shakey. especially with titles which are widely-publicized as online-only. how many mmo launches have resulted in a second free game exactly? care to name a few off hand?

This ^

Unfortunately the ragers aren't going to consider that, because the last SimCity from 10 years ago didn't require you to be online so they're somehow entitled to stuff because this one does and it took them a few days to iron out problems.

OK, now that RPS quote is applicable.

The complaint against always-online is more than just "does it work now". That last SimCity from 10 years ago still works. I could still play it. I could play it during an 8 hour flight if I wanted to. Will this SimCity work in 10 years time? I very much doubt it, because it's at the mercy of EA and at some point, they will switch off their server and then your purchase? It is gone.

This move by EA, Ubisoft and Blizzard takes control away from us. Whether it's for data mining, DRM or whatever, this does so very little but make gaming worse.

I don't like that, I'm not going to silently take it. I want publishers to know that we, their customers, aren't inconvenient potential criminals to exploit, but that we're essential to their survival and should be welcomed. I'm not alone.

- Quboid

110. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 22:17 Verno

Golwar wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:32:
I always wonder in such cases if there are really any consumer laws out there that'd enforce a company to do refunds, just because of rather common and to be expected issues, within the very first days after a release.
There aren't any essential malfunctions that would render the product useless, it just requires a little bit of time and tweaking on the operator's side.

If you mean a consumer advocacy or protection organization, there are many across different countries. What lengths they will go to depend on the circumstances. I don't think it's neither here nor there, I suspect it would be a last resort for people if they're very upset and a chargeback fails. The SimCity release was far from common and if we're actually thinking of publishers as "service operators" then I'm worried for the future. I find the little time and tweaking comment to be a gross understatement.

I think most peoples real complaint isn't that they fucked up big time. It's the fuck up combined with how they handled it and the fact that it was entirely avoidable. Regional simulation could have been an option and they could have used validation to let clients do it themselves or offered a segmented MP like Blizzard did with battle.net. There was also no non-business reason that the game can't let you have a cached, local save. This whole thing was a solution in search of a problem and its that combined with everything else that turned it into such a debacle.

People will forgive a lot even of EA, if all of this had made SimCity a better franchise for it then I think people would get behind it. Sadly from my experience with the game that is far from the case. I have no idea what their sales targets were but with some big games coming out soon I suspect it underperformed and that's a small part of the reason we're seeing a departure from the CEO.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

109. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 21:42 Texas Jake

This ^

108. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 21:32 Golwar

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:01:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:01:
A free game is nice. At this point, people will criticise EA for anything, some people make it sound like purchasing DLC is forced at gunpoint. Personally I think they both messed up the launch and worse, released a game that fails to deliver, but it's still nice to get a free game and that's more than I'd ever have expected. Even from a nice publisher, if such a thing exists.

It's an ok gesture but let's not pretend they didn't have to do this without relegating themselves to mustache twirling villain territory. They would face more consumers doing chargebacks, potential liability in other countries for ignoring consumer law related to refunds and more importantly a lot more bad press. Frankly I don't see why they refused to refund customers in the first place, it seems like a bad idea that is guaranteed to frustrate customers and hurt both brands.

I always wonder in such cases if there are really any consumer laws out there that'd enforce a company to do refunds, just because of rather common and to be expected issues, within the very first days after a release.
There aren't any essential malfunctions that would render the product useless, it just requires a little bit of time and tweaking on the operator's side.

Besides, a service provider is ALWAYS granted some time to enhance and provide a better service. So for me those "laws" are more or less fairy tales.
If someone does refunds in such cases, that's great. But it's not illegal or horrific if they don't do it.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2013, 21:37.

107. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:49 Redmask

1) so a year's head's up isn't enough? who out there didn't know this game was online-only? if so then i'm sorry, but you're not a savvy consumer and do absolutely no research into the products you buy before throwing your dollars at them, can't help you there.

Where did anyone ask for your help? They didn't exactly send out a mass mailer letting people know but that's not really important. Why does the information suddenly render any of this alright? It seems very convenient that you have a whitewash response to everything posted. The consumer cannot be blamed for any of this. Free games are a path of least resistance gesture that I have already rebutted in a previous response.

2) when did i "gloss over" a rocky launch? it was a rocky launch. what else is there to say? they fucked up. then they fixed it? then they took the extra step of making ammends by offering a free game? does that not play into your narritive enough? or am i sticking to the topic too much again?

It wasn't a rocky launch, it was a disaster. This wasn't an iffy day or two, this was largely unplayable for a huge portion of its audience for over ten days. This was not an MMO title. This wasn't dodgy server, this was everything from corrupted regions and to blanked out cities and major AI problems that are still unsolved. This was consumers unable to get straight answers from EA or Maxis on most topics related to the game and customer service. You can't spin this and offering people Dead Space 3 doesn't make amends for it. Offering a full refund would be a good start.

3) the product having numerous other deficiencies with quality. such as? you mean bugs? bugs, in a videogame? again, i welcome you to %99 of titles 13 days after launch. it's called modern gaming.

I don't know what games you've been buying but the majority of mine work much better than SimCity 13 days after 'launch'. Also SimCity is not an MMO title.

106. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:48 ASeven

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:15:
Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:11:

again, welcome to the wide world of gaming, sometimes the first week after launch is a bit shakey. especially with titles which are widely-publicized as online-only. how many mmo launches have resulted in a second free game exactly? care to name a few off hand? i can't remember another game which had a shakey launch that was rewarded with a free game.. but i guess i'm just trying to stick to the topic at hand.

Actually you've consistently tried to change the subject and stymy other points by pushing unrelated analogies and other info not pertinent to the topic. You also ignored my rebuttal that a free game is not a big service to the consumer.

SimCity is not an MMO. SimCity was not widely advertised as being online only, that only changed in the last year of development and having an asterisk on the box isn't the same thing as people being informed. The rocky launch you gloss over was much more than that but ignoring that for a moment, it has nothing to do with the product itself having numerous other deficiencies related to its quality.

If you look at his post history, he already has quite an history of lying and deceiving. Steamguard as a sort of DRM is just one example of him lying and Dev can back me up on this since when Slick was called out on it by Dev he never replied.

105. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:40 Quboid

You won't believe what these bastards have gone and done. They said that the free game would be available from the 22nd but it's available now. DAMN YOU EA YOU LIE AGAIN!  

- Quboid

104. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:31 Quboid

*looks at floor, blushes*

It wasn't just lack of research, I had been told and I forgot. It was an impulse buy and I messed up.

- Quboid

123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo