Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed

The EA Forums now offer details on the promise of a free game to compensate SimCity owners for the botched launch of the urban planning sequel. Anyone with a registered copy of SimCity by the end of March 25th will be entitled to download one of the following games from Origin through March 30th:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

View
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

43. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:23 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:10:
Ug.
So, for one, EA owns the games they're giving away. They do not own Crysis 3. There are contractual issues to have concerns about. CryTek likely does not want their product to be given away for free just yet, as it devalues the product, even if they get paid for it.

I wouldn't disagree in the least with this statement. However, my question was how this was an accounting nightmare. Reading on...

For another, there are huge accounting differences between giving away something for free that you own and giving away something free that someone else owns. EA giving away DS3 costs it nothing. Nothing at all. There's a possible lost sale, but that doesn't show up in accounting. And there's the cost of distributing on Origin, but that's minimal.

This would be a particularly stupid way to proceed. You book the sale as a loss, and use that against your corporate taxes. You don't just let it vanish into thin air. Actually, I'm not sure if you can - I'm not an accountant, but I've got a feeling that even as a "gift", you'd have to record this somewhere.

If EA were to give away Crysis 3, though, it would have to compensate Crytek. They get paid per sale, unlike EAs internal studios. So EA would owe them money. There'd be arguing about how much, but let's assume it falls at whatever Crytek gets at a $60 sale. Assume it's 60% of that. EA would have to give Crytek $36 for each copy they give away. That's a real loss. That needs to show up on the books.
EA wouldn't be able to change the contract terms of amount owned to Crytek per copy. That's already been decided. The only way this would come into play is if Crytek was being compensated as a percentage of the retail cost, and not a flat fee per copy. I'm not a publisher, or the accounting end of a development firm, so I'm not sure of the normal contract practices here. However, this hardly falls under the definition of "accounting nightmare".

One is merely lost revenue, the other is real, actual lost capital.
I don't mean this to be a jerk, but is it that you don't understand how EAs relationship with these developers work, how accounting works, or did you just not think this through?

I did think this through, and found the specific comment made here as being specious at best, thus my question. Speaking in general, perhaps a better approach would be to attempt a conversation first instead of pretending to be an expert in all things, with opinions being dictated as infallible facts.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:21 Beamer

What damages are there?

This isn't the first bad launch. Where's the lawsuit for every MMO? Where's the lawsuit for D3? While this is probably the worst launch, the law doesn't really pay attention to degrees of wrongness so much as wrong.
Though this would be statutes, not laws, as it'd be civil.

Why would it go to anything beyond the botched launch? What did EA do wrong? Software is considered imperfect. Entire games have been sold that barely work, but so long as they work they're ok. What was that one? Big Rigs? Hard Rigs? It was a racing game that didn't even have collision detection. Anywhere. You fell through bridges in the tracks. Was there a lawsuit? No.
Why?
Because it's better to have a bit of buyer beware than to force developers to make perfect software (something that is 100% impossible.)

Are you complaining about the forced always-on, which the box clearly states is necessary, or are you complaining about the broken simulation, which no statute or court has every required?

And you ask my how I come to the conclusion that no damages can be proven. What damages do you think are involved here?

Lastly, if any game this year would deserve a lawsuit it would be Colonial Marines, but even that has zero chance. Any complaint you could make about CM could be made, to a lesser degree, to every single game ever release (in most cases infinitely lesser degrees.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:11 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:06:
Your HO doesn't really apply to legal facts...
Accepting this offer doesn't negate legal obligations. However, given that the issue here is a botched launch, there's also very little damages to be proven and, really, EA has little to fear from a lawsuit..

Why would a lawsuit be constrained to a "botched launch"?

Seriously, how does having to wait a long time, and having to wait 2 weeks until wait times disappear, damage you in the long run?

Why would the lawsuit be constrained to damage done to you "in the long run"?

The key to a lawsuit is damages. While the launch was insulting, no one can prove damages, and no attorney will bother with this because, without damages, there's no chance they'd make back their legal fees.

How did you come to the conclusion that no "can prove damages"?

40. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:10 Beamer

JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:00:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:50:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:41:
Where's Crysis 3? Anyway, I think a cool statement could be made if as many people as possible took SC4, regardless of whether they already have it or not.

EA just published Crysis 3. They don't even own the franchise.
EA developed all the games listed.

They can't necessarily give away Crysis 3, since they don't own it. Yeah, it's over Origin so they could just give it out for free then give CryTek the cash they'd have made on the sale, but that is a bit of an accounting nightmare.

How is booking a sale, regardless of the price, and then accounting for that sale to the developer an "accounting nightmare"? This is what EA does 24/7/365, literally millions of times a year. Having a cost of $0.00 doesn't make it any harder to record or compensate than a cost of $.01, or $googleplex (ok, the latter is pretty hard to record).

Ug.
So, for one, EA owns the games they're giving away. They do not own Crysis 3. There are contractual issues to have concerns about. CryTek likely does not want their product to be given away for free just yet, as it devalues the product, even if they get paid for it.

For another, there are huge accounting differences between giving away something for free that you own and giving away something free that someone else owns. EA giving away DS3 costs it nothing. Nothing at all. There's a possible lost sale, but that doesn't show up in accounting. And there's the cost of distributing on Origin, but that's minimal.
If EA were to give away Crysis 3, though, it would have to compensate Crytek. They get paid per sale, unlike EAs internal studios. So EA would owe them money. There'd be arguing about how much, but let's assume it falls at whatever Crytek gets at a $60 sale. Assume it's 60% of that. EA would have to give Crytek $36 for each copy they give away. That's a real loss. That needs to show up on the books.

One is merely lost revenue, the other is real, actual lost capital.
I don't mean this to be a jerk, but is it that you don't understand how EAs relationship with these developers work, how accounting works, or did you just not think this through?

-------------

39. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:06 Beamer

JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 16:00:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:13:
EA offers pretty much their newest releases and you guys just see a trojan horse?

Buying SC and getting DS3 free isn't terrible. Doesn't make up for it, but people here saying "it's just marketing!" as if EA would be getting nearly the return in DLC some people think.

If anything I find it odd that they limited this list so much. It has their biggest recent games. Why not more or less include any game?

It is a trojan horse. There's obviously going to be lawsuits about the game, it's suitability, and the lack of refunds. Accepting this offer will basically make it impossible to participate in any such suit, as you have already been offered, and accepted recompense for your troubles.

As always, IMHO.

Your HO doesn't really apply to legal facts...
Accepting this offer doesn't negate legal obligations. However, given that the issue here is a botched launch, there's also very little damages to be proven and, really, EA has little to fear from a lawsuit.

Seriously, how does having to wait a long time, and having to wait 2 weeks until wait times disappear, damage you in the long run?
The key to a lawsuit is damages. While the launch was insulting, no one can prove damages, and no attorney will bother with this because, without damages, there's no chance they'd make back their legal fees.

-------------

38. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:00 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:50:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:41:
Where's Crysis 3? Anyway, I think a cool statement could be made if as many people as possible took SC4, regardless of whether they already have it or not.

EA just published Crysis 3. They don't even own the franchise.
EA developed all the games listed.

They can't necessarily give away Crysis 3, since they don't own it. Yeah, it's over Origin so they could just give it out for free then give CryTek the cash they'd have made on the sale, but that is a bit of an accounting nightmare.

How is booking a sale, regardless of the price, and then accounting for that sale to the developer an "accounting nightmare"? This is what EA does 24/7/365, literally millions of times a year. Having a cost of $0.00 doesn't make it any harder to record or compensate than a cost of $.01, or $googleplex (ok, the latter is pretty hard to record).

37. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 16:00 JohnnyRotten

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:13:
EA offers pretty much their newest releases and you guys just see a trojan horse?

Buying SC and getting DS3 free isn't terrible. Doesn't make up for it, but people here saying "it's just marketing!" as if EA would be getting nearly the return in DLC some people think.

If anything I find it odd that they limited this list so much. It has their biggest recent games. Why not more or less include any game?

It is a trojan horse. There's obviously going to be lawsuits about the game, it's suitability, and the lack of refunds. Accepting this offer will basically make it impossible to participate in any such suit, as you have already been offered, and accepted recompense for your troubles.

As always, IMHO.

36. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:58 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 15:47:
Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 15:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 15:41:
Fuck you, I love hotcakes. Anyone outside of the culinary industry calls them pancakes now, but still.

Me too but they're always disappearing off menus around here

You all should bow to the mighty awesomeness of the waffle!

Hmmmmm waffles....

A true, crunchy Belgian waffle is still best with chicken!

A place around here briefly had oreo and captain crunch pancakes (two different ones), but only did brunch twice before a family emergency made them put it on hold (I'd be less irked if the family emergency wasn't a planned one, i.e., they had a baby.)

-------------

35. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:52 Slick

edaciousx wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:23:
holy crap guys you are all a bunch of ragers. Ever heard of the old saying "Don't look a gift horse in it's mouth?" I mean really, would you just prefer it if EA gave you guys NOTHING at all?

So what if they don't include DLC, like you need it. You guys just cry too damn much.

don't even get me started.

i wish when diablo 3 came out they gave me starcraft 2 for free cause they had launch-week issues with an always online game.

oh wait, that would just have been blizzard trying to "sucker" me in trying to get me to pony up for the "heart of the swarm" DLC (pretty fucking expensive for DLC no?) ... a few new units when they've already shipped me a UNIT EDITOR AND CREATOR IN THE BASE GAME I ALREADY BOUGHT FOR FULL PRICE.

oh blizzard, you can do no right.

and ediciousx, don't expect anything less than the perfect stereotype of "entitled brat" from 70% of the posters on these forums.

they bitched just as hard when they gave away back 2 karkand for BF3 pre-orders (which wasn't released for 3 months after launch, NOT day-1 DLC AT ALL)

and we all knew it would happen, the list finally comes alive, and everyone bitch bitch bitch. why the fuck would anyone be actively trying to please your demographic of whiney children?

i swear it's a fucking miracle we have game developers who are willing to put up with your bullshit hatred and hate-bombing their shit, just cause it isn't "mom and pop" instead it's a mega corporation, which can do no good.

shame. for shame

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2013, 16:01.

34. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:49 Kosumo

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 15:20:

holy crap guys you are all a bunch of ragers. Ever heard of the old saying "Don't look a gift horse in it's mouth?" I mean really, would you just prefer it if EA gave you guys NOTHING at all?

So what if they don't include DLC, like you need it. You guys just cry too damn much.

Let me guess, EA will now pay you a lot for you defending their darling corporation on this board.

Oh wait, no it won't, EA doesn't give a fuck about you, you're just raging because you're a mindless fanboy for whom EA can do no wrong.

So just to make it clear, you don't understand the saying of "Don't look a gift horse in it's mouth" then? hint, - It's got nothing to do with defending anyone. But don't let that stop you form calling people shills and fanboys.

By the way, if someone who has played the game, enjoyed what they played (people enjoy diffent thing you know) that does not make them a shill, a fanboy or a liar.

33. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:47 ASeven

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 15:45:
Fuck you, I love hotcakes. Anyone outside of the culinary industry calls them pancakes now, but still.

You all should bow to the mighty awesomeness of the waffle!

Hmmmmm waffles....

32. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:45 Verno

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Kitchen Nightmares, Coherence, The Rover

31. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:44 JayDeath

I think I would pick DS3 but I avoided this debacle because the writing was on the wall with this one! Diablo 3 taught me well.  
Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

30. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:42 Beamer

SC4 Deluxe would have made an awesome default bundle, anyway. Or, preorder the game and get immediate access to it.

Not sure why companies are stingy with old games. Spread the love!

-------------

29. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:41 jacobvandy

28. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:21 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:51:
* no one buys hotcakes anymore, need a new saying

"... but I'm glad it isn't selling like COD:BLOPS 2"?

27. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:20 ASeven

I still haven't been able to stop laughing at the irony of getting SC4 Deluxe for free with this.

Let me guess, EA will now pay you a lot for you defending their darling corporation on this board.

Oh wait, no it won't, EA doesn't give a fuck about you, you're just raging because you're a mindless fanboy for whom EA can do no wrong.

Let me leave you the words of RPS because they represent you and TrollingThundr and all your ilk:

"To see anyone defending EA and Maxis for the state of SimCity, even were it in perfect working order on launch, depresses me to my core. This self-flagellation-as-skincare notion, where gamers loudly and proudly defend the destruction of their own rights as consumers, is an Orwellian perversity. That it might be considered in any way controversial to call them out on their crap, to point out that no, always-on DRM is not an advantage to anyone, is bewildering. Itís a sign of just how far the gaming world has fallen into the rabbit hole of the publisherís burrowing."

26. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:16 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 15:12:
Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:53:
Specifically, I expect some careers to have been ruined over the past 2 weeks.

And deservedly so.

Yeah. Sounds like some of the team deserves it for failing at simulating, whoever planned the launch, whoever budgeted the servers, etc.

Not necessarily fired, but definitely hindered.

-------------

25. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 15:12 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:53:
Specifically, I expect some careers to have been ruined over the past 2 weeks.

And deservedly so.

24. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:53 Beamer

Message that can be sent from those sales:
People want SimCity. Badly. But people don't want this SimCity.

So we will likely see a sequel, but I think there will be some major changes. Specifically, I expect some careers to have been ruined over the past 2 weeks.

-------------

123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo