Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed

The EA Forums now offer details on the promise of a free game to compensate SimCity owners for the botched launch of the urban planning sequel. Anyone with a registered copy of SimCity by the end of March 25th will be entitled to download one of the following games from Origin through March 30th:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

View
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

103. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:20 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:15:
Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:11:

again, welcome to the wide world of gaming, sometimes the first week after launch is a bit shakey. especially with titles which are widely-publicized as online-only. how many mmo launches have resulted in a second free game exactly? care to name a few off hand?

SimCity was not widely advertised as being online only, that only changed in the last year of development

The rocky launch you gloss over was much more than that but ignoring that for a moment, it has nothing to do with the product itself having numerous other deficiencies related to its quality.

1) so a year's head's up isn't enough? who out there didn't know this game was online-only? if so then i'm sorry, but you're not a savvy consumer and do absolutely no research into the products you buy before throwing your dollars at them, can't help you there.

2) when did i "gloss over" a rocky launch? it was a rocky launch. what else is there to say? they fucked up. then they fixed it? then they took the extra step of making ammends by offering a free game? does that not play into your narritive enough? or am i sticking to the topic too much again?

3) the product having numerous other deficiencies with quality. such as? you mean bugs? bugs, in a videogame? again, i welcome you to %99 of titles 13 days after launch. it's called modern gaming.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2013, 20:27.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

102. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:15 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:11:

again, welcome to the wide world of gaming, sometimes the first week after launch is a bit shakey. especially with titles which are widely-publicized as online-only. how many mmo launches have resulted in a second free game exactly? care to name a few off hand? i can't remember another game which had a shakey launch that was rewarded with a free game.. but i guess i'm just trying to stick to the topic at hand.

Actually you've consistently tried to change the subject and stymy other points by pushing unrelated analogies and other info not pertinent to the topic. You also ignored my rebuttal that a free game is not a big service to the consumer.

SimCity is not an MMO. SimCity was not widely advertised as being online only, that only changed in the last year of development and having an asterisk on the box isn't the same thing as people being informed. The rocky launch you gloss over was much more than that but ignoring that for a moment, it has nothing to do with the product itself having numerous other deficiencies related to its quality.

101. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:11 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:50:
Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:46:
I enjoy employing the analogy to other artistic mediums. When was the last book you returned because you didnít like how the story unfolded? did you demand a refund? What about the latest album from that band you used to like in the 80ís and then they re-united for a new album 15 years later that ended up being garbage. Did you storm back into your local record shop and demand *under threat of lawsuit* that they take their shoddy merchandize back?

You are not very good at analogies, I regularly return damaged products and I've had manufacturers offer me refunds for less. Good companies stand behind their products, like Blizzard.

Dinner time, later folks.

again, welcome to the wide world of gaming, sometimes the first week after launch is a bit shakey. especially with titles which are widely-publicized as online-only. how many mmo launches have resulted in a second free game exactly? care to name a few off hand?

i can't remember another game which had a shakey launch that was rewarded with a free game.. but i guess i'm just trying to stick to the topic at hand.

this idea of being blindsided by launch week issues, and pleading ignorance on it never happening with any other title... well i can't really understand it let alone come up with a witty retort, so i'll just leave it as that.

100. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:06 NewMaxx

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:15:
How are you able to spend 67 hours playing the game in such a short period of time? I'm not trying to be judgmental but that seems..excessive unless you're a student or something. Feel free to not answer, I am just curious. I love video games but I don't see myself ever doing that.

I've put in 74 hours without even trying. In fact, it'd be a lot more had I been able to get on much the first week. I'm also in the middle of a move with ten thousand things to do. Honestly, because we are limited to llama speed (2 of 3 speeds), much of that time is the game running while I'm doing other stuff (shower, food, exercise, packing, etc). I had nearly 8 hours a day in GW2 when it came out the first two weeks without trying, too, and so did many of my friends...although many of them played at work with strategic alt-tabbing. So I guess to answer your question: gamers today rarely play focused for long periods of time. Hell, I had Tomb Raider and SimCity both running simultaneously (why not...RAM is plentiful these days) and probably spent more time in Microsoft Office than both combined.

Multiple monitors and cards may also play a role with that, but, yeah, as I've gotten older I have to say I haven't played less, just in a more fractious way. For example I regularly play Android games at the gym for 30-45 minute stints, sometimes I got 3-4 sessions a day, so you could ask, "how did you find 2-3 hours to game after work!?," and I'd say...the same way I found 2-3 hours to exercise, since I do them simultaneously.

99. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 20:01 Verno

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:01:
A free game is nice. At this point, people will criticise EA for anything, some people make it sound like purchasing DLC is forced at gunpoint. Personally I think they both messed up the launch and worse, released a game that fails to deliver, but it's still nice to get a free game and that's more than I'd ever have expected. Even from a nice publisher, if such a thing exists.

It's an ok gesture but let's not pretend they didn't have to do this without relegating themselves to mustache twirling villain territory. They would face more consumers doing chargebacks, potential liability in other countries for ignoring consumer law related to refunds and more importantly a lot more bad press. Frankly I don't see why they refused to refund customers in the first place, it seems like a bad idea that is guaranteed to frustrate customers and hurt both brands.

Did Blizzard offer refunds for Diablo 3?

He's right, I have to give credit where it's due, they did. ActiBlizz made many mistakes with Diablo 3 but they were really cool about refunding people who didn't like the game or were frustrated with the launch.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

98. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:57 PHJF

Good companies stand behind their products, like Blizzard.

Did Blizzard offer refunds for Diablo 3?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

97. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:50 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:46:
I enjoy employing the analogy to other artistic mediums. When was the last book you returned because you didnít like how the story unfolded? did you demand a refund?

You are not very good at analogies, I regularly return damaged products and I've had manufacturers offer me refunds for less. Good companies stand behind their products, like Blizzard.

Dinner time, later folks.

96. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:46 Slick

I enjoy employing the analogy to other artistic mediums. When was the last book you returned because you didnít like how the story unfolded? did you demand a refund? What about the latest album from that band you used to like in the 80ís and then they re-united for a new album 15 years later that ended up being garbage. Did you storm back into your local record shop and demand *under threat of lawsuit* that they take their shoddy merchandize back?

Just something to keep in mind. What other artistic medium gets held up to such standards? If you went to see the latest Jennifer Lopez flick, i can understand you walking out of the theatre, even telling your friends itís not worth their time. But to demand your money back just seem strange to me, again, this only strikes me as strange because you see it in the videogames industry quite disproportionately to every other artistic medium.

Is it the perceived age demographic? i donít think so. itís something else, i wish i could put my finger on it.

95. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:45 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:35:
Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:30:
but again, i've met people who liked the new Indiana Jones movie, and those who thought it was trash, that's their right as consumers. If they didn't like it, i wouldn't suggest they don't go see the 5th Indy movie. that's about all you can say, no?

That's a terrible, offtopic and incompatible analogy but I'll play since dinner is cooking. It would be applicable if Indiana Jones came out, was a one hour film, required a fingerprint verification to get in, didn't work on most of the theater screens and the studios involved told everyone they could get $2 off a ticket to a different movie instead of a refund.

I'm a bit suspicious of that figure, I think that might be an Origin bug. I would estimate I've spent more like 30 hours, and half of that is the time spent with it running while I'm off doing something else. It was running most of the night in one instance, I forgot about it and fell asleep. Made a fortune too

Yeah I was wondering. You would have needed to skip work or put in consecutive 8 hour sessions to play that long and I'm pretty sure the servers were defunct much of the first week.

seems that most people who's actually bought simcity seem pleased, yet they get drowned out by the rukus of people who have let their unconditional hatred of EA cloud any reasoned argument against what this thread is about. it's about a publisher giving away a free game for a debaucle of a launch week. end of story.

I don't see any foundation for your conclusions, quite the opposite the widespread condemnation across various websites, communities and the press indicates otherwise.

sorry i should qualify that, most people IN REAL LIFE that i know from a face-to-face basis are quite smitten with this game. it's only online that i see this outpouring of hate. hence my personal bias that it is disproportionate.

94. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:35 Redmask

Slick wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:30:
but again, i've met people who liked the new Indiana Jones movie, and those who thought it was trash, that's their right as consumers. If they didn't like it, i wouldn't suggest they don't go see the 5th Indy movie. that's about all you can say, no?

That's a terrible, offtopic and incompatible analogy but I'll play since dinner is cooking. It would be applicable if Indiana Jones came out, was a one hour film, required a fingerprint verification to get in, didn't work on most of the theater screens and the studios involved told everyone they could get $2 off a ticket to a different movie instead of a refund.

I'm a bit suspicious of that figure, I think that might be an Origin bug. I would estimate I've spent more like 30 hours, and half of that is the time spent with it running while I'm off doing something else. It was running most of the night in one instance, I forgot about it and fell asleep. Made a fortune too

Yeah I was wondering. You would have needed to skip work or put in consecutive 8 hour sessions to play that long and I'm pretty sure the servers were defunct much of the first week.

seems that most people who's actually bought simcity seem pleased, yet they get drowned out by the rukus of people who have let their unconditional hatred of EA cloud any reasoned argument against what this thread is about. it's about a publisher giving away a free game for a debaucle of a launch week. end of story.

I don't see any foundation for your conclusions, quite the opposite the widespread condemnation across various websites, communities and the press indicates otherwise.

93. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:30 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:15:
You're welcome, but FWIW, ASeven is entitled to feel betrayed.

Quite why he's felt the need to post so much is anyone's guess, but then, the same could be said about me. I've probably spent more time bashing the game and defending the game here than I have playing and according to Origin, I've played for 67 hours

How are you able to spend 67 hours playing the game in such a short period of time? I'm not trying to be judgmental but that seems..excessive unless you're a student or something. Feel free to not answer, I am just curious. I love video games but I don't see myself ever doing that.

A free game is nice. At this point, people will criticise EA for anything, some people make it sound like purchasing DLC is forced at gunpoint. Personally I think they both messed up the launch and worse, released a game that fails to deliver, but it's still nice to get a free game and that's more than I'd ever have expected. Even from a nice publisher, if such a thing exists.

My girlfriend is a nut for anything SimCity and she's hugely let down. I warned her but you can't really say I told you so to your significant other. She doesn't give a shit about a free game, she wants her money back. People are absolutely correct to nail EA to the wall for this, giving away a free game costs them nothing, that's why they're doing it. They're doing it because they know people are pissed off and they are doing the bare minimum, this isn't charity. That is some abused housewife syndrome if I've ever seen.

For all that people bash Blizzard or claim they did less at least Blizzard owned their mistakes and offered full refunds, no questions asked for a lengthy period of time.

well i'm sorry to hear she doesn't enjoy the game. My girl is also a longtime Simcity fan, and we're both having a ball playing. yes it's a bit rough around the edges, as a gamer i've come to expect that in the 13 days after launch of a new title.

92. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:29 Quboid

Edit: Slick, I bought the game and I enjoy it to some extent but I am not pleased.

- Quboid

91. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:26 Slick

Quite why he's felt the need to post so much is anyone's guess, but then, the same could be said about me. I've probably spent more time bashing the game and defending the game here than I have playing and according to Origin, I've played for 67 hours (a couple of those waiting in a queue, quite a few of those with the sim going making money while I walk the dog).

When it comes to Aseven, i guess it's just a difference of philosophy towards consumerism as a whole. Do i feel "betrayed" when they introduced "new coke" back in the 80's? no, if i didn't like it i just didn't buy it. was i so insecure with my soft drink lifestyle that my life came to a crawling halt? did i feel the need to stand infront of coke machines and scream at people to NOT BUY THE NEW COKE! ITS TERRIBLE! there were pleanty of other soft drinks of the market to satiate my parched throat. i let consumers make up their own minds about the products they purchase. we all vote with our dollars. but the vote is a private ballot.

And that's i think the real dividing line which i fail to comprehend about the entitled nature of some posters. the DLC is no different from the game itself, nothing is being offered "at gun point".

to me it's like people who will not see a movie because of what they read on some blog somewhere about it, saying the movie's dumb. well that's nice, have to SEEN the movie? oh, no? well then you aren't really entitled to your own opinion, you're entitled to comp other people's opinions, but they're just that, other people's opinions.

90. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:23 KilrathiAce

What a joke. Oh and no.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

89. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:15 Redmask

Quite why he's felt the need to post so much is anyone's guess, but then, the same could be said about me. I've probably spent more time bashing the game and defending the game here than I have playing and according to Origin, I've played for 67 hours

My girlfriend is a nut for anything SimCity and she's hugely let down. I warned her but you can't really say I told you so to your significant other. She doesn't give a shit about a free game, she wants her money back. People are absolutely correct to nail EA to the wall for this, giving away a free game costs them nothing, that's why they're doing it. They're doing it because they know people are pissed off and they are doing the bare minimum, this isn't charity. That is some abused housewife syndrome if I've ever seen.

For all that people bash Blizzard or claim they did less at least Blizzard owned their mistakes and offered full refunds, no questions asked for a lengthy period of time.

88. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 19:01 Quboid

Quite why he's felt the need to post so much is anyone's guess, but then, the same could be said about me. I've probably spent more time bashing the game and defending the game here than I have playing and according to Origin, I've played for 67 hours (a couple of those waiting in a queue, quite a few of those with the sim going making money while I walk the dog).

- Quboid

87. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 18:53 Slick

Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:46:
ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:28:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:24:
That's a valid opinion ASeven, and one I generally agree with despite being a sucker who did buy this game. It's also my opinion that pistachio nuts taste nicer than cashews - and that's got about to do with it. Who is loudly defending SimCity in this thread?

The usual suspects. Texas Jake, Slick, etc.

Slick hasn't even mentioned SimCity on this thread. Texas Jack has given his opinion but mainly argued about how the sense of entitlement. Neither have loudly defended SimCity.

hey thanks! someone who actually reads what i write! instead of *gutshot OH WELL HE'S SAYING THAT BLA BLA BLA response.

again, i don't see the the relevant proportion of people hating a free fucking game towards actual ill will. it only exists in their minds.

and can i ask, Aseven, did you play simcity? did you buy this game? you've stopped nothing short of a novel in your posts in the last 2 weeks bashing this game. so you obviously bought it yes? that would give you a right to bitch?

cause if not you'd just be coming off as a tool with an agenda... you know, the thing you seem to be hell bent on rallying against?

or are you just mad that you didn't get a free game like me?

86. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 18:48 Slick

Texas Jake wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:43:
Bubicus wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:35:
If you haven't played it, you really don't have a valid gripe. Quit your nerd raging and go play something else.

Um...

There are only two ways to play it without buying it:

1) visit a friend's house and play it there. That requires your friend to have purchased it, but by now your friend would have already "nerd-raged" about how bad it was when he or she played it.

2) Pirate it. Except we're not supposed to pirate it, and there's some kind of controversial DRM to prevent such naughty behavior.

The "play it first before criticizing" argument is pretty weak in 2013, when many game companies refuse to release demos and we are able to watch YouTube videos of people playing a game.

Then what's the problem? People complaining who haven't even played the game have lost nothing. They just want to get on the 'bash EA' bandwagon for free. You don't like online DRM? Then don't buy it, nothing lost. You don't like it that people who *did* buy it had connection problems? Don't buy it. But this constant bashing is getting old. I bought it, actually played it, love it, and fail to see that the amount of bashing is proportionate to the reality.

Since I bought it and have no substantial gripes about it above any other game I might buy, I think it's pretty nice of EA to give me a free game. I'd enjoy the game just as much either way.

And for those folks bringing up the validity of a lawsuit, I know this gives you a little nerd wet dream to think you're fighting the big bad EA, but the reality is there is no valid lawsuit. EA has apparently made right the connectivity issues, so you're out of luck.

yeah i don't think you're going to get through to these people, but i want you to know that your efforts are appreciated by the sane minority on here (and probably LOTS more silent readers who are too afraid/can't be bothered lowering themselves to post against these asshole haters)

I play the game too, and i like it. they just fixed a big traffic bug, that's good. that's about it. thanks for the free game though. you evil awful company.

85. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 18:46 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:28:
Quboid wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:24:
That's a valid opinion ASeven, and one I generally agree with despite being a sucker who did buy this game. It's also my opinion that pistachio nuts taste nicer than cashews - and that's got about to do with it. Who is loudly defending SimCity in this thread?

The usual suspects. Texas Jake, Slick, etc.

Slick hasn't even mentioned SimCity on this thread. Texas Jack has given his opinion but mainly argued about how the sense of entitlement. Neither have loudly defended SimCity.

- Quboid

84. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 18:44 Slick

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:59:
Texas Jake wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:52:
Just keeping it in perspective is all. Myself included.

Maybe next time while you're relating vague anecdotes about you and your wife playing the game, you should consider there might be other like minded people who bought the game and are very disappointed with it.

Just keeping it in perspective.

ok then, this thread is not about keeping your dissapointment of a game in perspective. it's a thread about a game publisher giving out free games to make up for a shitty launch week.

care to keep THAT in perspective?

123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo