Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed

The EA Forums now offer details on the promise of a free game to compensate SimCity owners for the botched launch of the urban planning sequel. Anyone with a registered copy of SimCity by the end of March 25th will be entitled to download one of the following games from Origin through March 30th:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

View
123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

23. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:51 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:42:
*ugh* So depressing:

SimCity sales top 1.1 million

That's not that great, people here were predicting 3-4mil Diablo 3 level numbers and anything less than that is probably under performing as far as EA is concerned. I figured they would top 2mil in preorders + first week alone. They said Dead Space 3 had to sell 4-5mil units for the franchise to even continue, their expectations seem pretty high for titles these days.

I hate to see a PC game doing less than amazing sales but I'm glad it isn't selling like hotcakes* and I hope it experiences enough of a dropoff that it convinces EA this isn't the way they can keep doing things in the future. SimCity has always been a long tail seller but in todays market your first few months are your major opportunity and it drops off considerably after marketing campaigns end.

* no one buys hotcakes anymore, need a new saying

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:50 Beamer

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:41:
Where's Crysis 3? Anyway, I think a cool statement could be made if as many people as possible took SC4, regardless of whether they already have it or not.

EA just published Crysis 3. They don't even own the franchise.
EA developed all the games listed.

They can't necessarily give away Crysis 3, since they don't own it. Yeah, it's over Origin so they could just give it out for free then give CryTek the cash they'd have made on the sale, but that is a bit of an accounting nightmare.

That this is all EA owned/developed stuff isn't surprising.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:42 Mr. Tact

*ugh* So depressing:

SimCity sales top 1.1 million

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:42 nin

Sencho wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:32:
edaciousx wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:23:
holy crap guys you are all a bunch of ragers. Ever heard of the old saying "Don't look a gift horse in it's mouth?" I mean really, would you just prefer it if EA gave you guys NOTHING at all?

So what if they don't include DLC, like you need it. You guys just cry too damn much.

Personally, I'd have preferred EA release a product that was actually belonging to the SimCity franchise and, perhaps, worthy of that name. Releasing this bastardized, misconceived version and then patently lying - repeatedly - means EA (and their Maxis proxy) deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule.

The biggest mystery is how there are people unwilling to see this? EA's done nothing here worthy of loyalty.

Very well put.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:41 jacobvandy

Where's Crysis 3? Anyway, I think a cool statement could be made if as many people as possible took SC4, regardless of whether they already have it or not.  

18. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:40 Verno

holy crap guys you are all a bunch of ragers. Ever heard of the old saying "Don't look a gift horse in it's mouth?" I mean really, would you just prefer it if EA gave you guys NOTHING at all?

So what if they don't include DLC, like you need it. You guys just cry too damn much.

Personally, I'd have preferred EA release a product that was actually belonging to the SimCity franchise and, perhaps, worthy of that name. Releasing this bastardized, misconceived version and then patently lying - repeatedly - means EA (and their Maxis proxy) deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule.

The biggest mystery is how there are people unwilling to see this? EA's done nothing here worthy of loyalty.

Yeah exactly that was my point too. I think it's a decent enough move by EA but its a loooong way from redeeming them for this clusterfuck. Free games are all well and good (DLC or not, who cares) but the game I wanted in the first place would be better

17. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:35 Beamer

Yeah, these games in no way make up for this whole SC debacle.

But I genuinely think EA went pretty damn far in what they're offering. I would have expected DS3 and ME3 to have been excluded. DS3, in particular, shows that they're really, really trying to do some damage control here.

Though even offering their full back catalog free wouldn't really make up for this to many buyers.

-------------

16. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:32 Sencho

15. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:26 saluk

EA has some smart bean counters! By doing it this way they average out the loss as much as they can while still looking nice. A big portion of customers will choose one of the cheaper games, and another good portion of customers will buy dlc for the more expensive ones. And then there is the non-zero group who either misses the deal or just doesn't see any games they want and skip it all together. Oh, and lets not forget the also non-zero group who buy sim city because it looks like a 2 for the price of one deal!

It's better than nothing though. Probably.

14. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:25 Yakubs

Well, it'd be almost pointless to get BF3 without the DLC at this point. I don't imagine there are many servers out there running the vanilla release.

DS3 and ME3 for free even with no DLC is a pretty reasonable value, though, assuming you're into that sort of thing...

13. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:23 edaciousx

12. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:13 Beamer

EA offers pretty much their newest releases and you guys just see a trojan horse?

Buying SC and getting DS3 free isn't terrible. Doesn't make up for it, but people here saying "it's just marketing!" as if EA would be getting nearly the return in DLC some people think.

If anything I find it odd that they limited this list so much. It has their biggest recent games. Why not more or less include any game?

-------------

11. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 14:12 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 13:22:
I'll credit them with compensating with some top notch stuff. Nice nod for them to add SC4. Still, by not including DLC, you can tell they view this as an opportunity to grab more cash.

Fucking called it! Thanks BN for never disappointing.

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 12:57
Can't wait to hear the complaining about the freebies not being GOTY editions. [/quote:

10. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:59 deqer

"Hey guys. Here's a cookie. Hopefully this lures you--and newcomers--into buying into our online-only game so we can own your life."

"Don't worry about online-only. You get a FREE game now! right?!"

9. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:58 KTR

Terrible list.

BF3, DS3, ME3, & NFS:MW...these games are heavy in DLC.
Bejeweled 3 & PvZ...these games are cheap.
MoH:WF...this game is a failure.
SC4...too funny! People will realize the 10 year old SC4 is still superior.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2013, 14:04.

8. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:54 Verno

Some fine games on the list, I'd rather have a better game than a free older one but at least they followed through on one thing in this whole mess.  

7. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:50 SpectralMeat

Didn't Ubisoft do the exact same thing a while back when their online DRM failed also? I think it was one of that submarine sim game IIRC.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:48 wraithnix

Wow, I've got to admit...this is pretty insulting to the people who bought the EA abortion of SimCity.  

5. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:43 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 13:17:
You can have the superior Sim City 4.....laughable. If you were a Sim fan, wouldn't you already have it? They should just offer refunds.

So $60 for SC4 and it includes this shitty online version. Laughing my ass off...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: SimCity Compensatory Games Revealed Mar 18, 2013, 13:40 JohnnyRotten

jdreyer wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 13:22:
I'll credit them with compensating with some top notch stuff. Nice nod for them to add SC4. Still, by not including DLC, you can tell they view this as an opportunity to grab more cash.

It's another marketing move. How many of those products have $$$ DLC that isn't included here.

I can see the meeting now:

Let's offer some old titles up. For the newer AAA stuff, if they haven't bought it by now, they aren't going to. Let's make sure to offer the base packages and try to make some money on the side getting the suckers, sorry, idiots, to buy the DLC.

123 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo