Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had an interesting experience over the weekend, albeit a boring sort of interesting experience. MrsBlue collected a speeding ticket recently, so I decided I would take the defensive driving class with her that she could use to erase the points off her license, since it would also lower my insurance rate, as I have no points to remedy. The presentation turned out to be a little scary, not because of one of those highway accident horror films from the old days, but rather all the students from the old days, as we were easily the youngest people in attendance. We thought there would be some kids there, but I guess they get all this stuff in Driver's Ed, and most of the attendees were octogenarians, and a few of them had enough trouble following the simple proceedings that it seemed the clearest way to improve general driver safety would be to take away their licenses.

There was one genuinely interesting aspect of all this, which was that in spite of me feeling I was humoring the insurance company by sitting through six hours of boredom as a gimmick to get a lower rate, by the end of it I felt it had reinforced and properly emphasized some good habits to the extent that I do feel safer out there. So there may be something to this. I would actually recommend others taking such as class as a result of this insight, but yeah, it was still incredibly boring.

Driven Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Give Up.
Links: Mario Piano Sheet Music.
Stories: Joss Whedon On Kickstarter And "Firefly": "It Doesn't Just Open The Floodgates".
Media: Death Star was an inside job: a Loose Change parody.
Social farter.
Launching a Model Saturn V Rocket is Triumphant.
The Funnies: xkcd: Aspect Ratio.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2013, 08:43 nin

Hey Blue, wanna start up a column and get even more notoriety for your site?

If you look back at The Old Days (90s), you'll see he did a lot more editorializing than he does now. I miss it...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2013, 05:01 InBlack

Jivaro wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:36:
SWTOR, Diablo 3, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, or Simcity (2013)...

My friends and I are debating which one was the bigger letdown. For me personally it was SWTOR, I was looking forward to getting my Star Wars on for a great deal of time. Anybody have a vote for most disappointing game of the last 2 years or so? Perhaps another suggestion not listed? Keep it light, I don't want to cause a flame war.

Well since the only one I bought out of all of those was Diablo3, its Diablo3 for me...but even if I was foolish enough to buy all of those it would still be Diablo3, since 1 & 2 were such epic games.

They really should get some kind of Fail of the Year awards ceremony going for stupid fail games, like they do with the razziess...

Hey Blue, wanna start up a column and get even more notoriety for your site? We could all chip in and help out with the writing and all....

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2013, 06:26.

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 19, 2013, 00:01 Creston

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 18:23:
Ok folks, time to give SimCity a break as Aliens CM has a 3.5 gig patch.

Their announcement said it was 4! I truly wonder what it changes/fixes...

With that size, it's probably a texture update. God, I'd be so pissed if I had to download a 4 fucking Gigabyte patch...

Creston

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 22:39 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:55:
Dad for instilling the fear of stupid people in me, "Always gotta be on the lookout for them. Don't expect them to do the right thing, expect the stupid" and video games for the hyper focus, situational awareness, multiple actor tracking, and reaction speed.

My father always said "drive safe" and never failed to work it into the end of the conversation...

One of my old man's wisdom word sets was "Keep it between the green".....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 22:22 mag

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 14:12:
I drive very aggressively - and I've taken advanced driving courses. I'm a superb driver because I have the right mindset and I'm always 100% focused on my driving - do not use phones, eat, etc. - and entirely situationally aware. A huge part of driving is the psychological aspect of it which most people will never master.

Did not need to look at who posted this.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 22:18 nin

He says that too but I don't think anyone who's ever driven with him would call him a safe driver.

Ha! They sound a lot alike. The only one I recall mine ever being in was a chain reaction rear end (he heard 3 other crashes, before he was hit), but he was a crazy driver, back in the day.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 22:12 Sepharo

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 21:55:
Dad for instilling the fear of stupid people in me, "Always gotta be on the lookout for them. Don't expect them to do the right thing, expect the stupid" and video games for the hyper focus, situational awareness, multiple actor tracking, and reaction speed.

My father always said "drive safe" and never failed to work it into the end of the conversation...

He says that too but I don't think anyone who's ever driven with him would call him a safe driver. He claims to have never been in an accident before but I can only vouch for the past 26 years, and for about 20 of those his sales job required about 50% travel. Must be doing something right.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 21:55 nin

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 21:05 Sepharo

Took my driver's training classes with the local cops. Class was pretty informative even though roughly 50% of it was "Tell us more cop stories!"

I credit my dad and video games with most of my driving prowess beyond the rules though. Dad for instilling the fear of stupid people in me, "Always gotta be on the lookout for them. Don't expect them to do the right thing, expect the stupid" and video games for the hyper focus, situational awareness, multiple actor tracking, and reaction speed.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 20:36 Jivaro

SWTOR, Diablo 3, Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines, or Simcity (2013)...

My friends and I are debating which one was the bigger letdown. For me personally it was SWTOR, I was looking forward to getting my Star Wars on for a great deal of time. Anybody have a vote for most disappointing game of the last 2 years or so? Perhaps another suggestion not listed? Keep it light, I don't want to cause a flame war.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 18:31 PHJF

...and a few of them had enough trouble following the simple proceedings that it seemed the clearest way to improve general driver safety would be to take away their licenses.

You would think that, but according to a traffic crash investigator it is damn near impossible (in Ohio) to get peoples' license outright taken away short of like a million DUIs. Officers can suggest via form for re-examination of terrible drivers, but even horrible old people WHO HAVE CAUSED MULTIPLE ACCIDENTS will inevitably pass re-exam.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 18:23 nin

Their announcement said it was 4! I truly wonder what it changes/fixes...

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 17:52 The Half Elf

As for driving, I'm a good driver (only 1 accident in almost 20 years of driving) no speeding tickets and I drive the speed limit. But I swear and scream at the top of my lungs towards other drivers. Speaking of which I probably should have my horn checked at it's 20,000th beep.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 16:35 xXBatmanXx

1badmf wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 13:33:
i probably learned as much about driving in driving school as in driver's ed. i don't remember them telling me in ED that pedestrians don't actually have right of way everywhere - just at crosswalks. for the purpose of safety they tell you that peds do, but legally and financially, if you hit a jaywalker, it's as much their fault as yours, depending on the circumstances.

and yeah, the test is a joke. my first test i got failed by a racist fuck who dinged me for not honking at an asshole that cut us off, among other nonsense. i do believe they started requiring a freeway stint shortly after my test though - that was nearly (gasp!) 20 years ago!.

I went to the State wide Minnesota TZD (Towards Zero Deaths) conference. There were 5,000+ people from Law Enforcement, the state, Deprtment of Transportation, special groups, etc., and they shared a study that says 50% of bicycle vs car and peds vs car "accidents" are 50/50 at fault. A lot of times morons just walk in the street and (speaking from experience here in Minneapolis) bicyclists are asses. They think they own the road but forget that THEY HAVE TO FOLLOW SAME RULES AS CARS WHEN IN THE ROADWAY!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 15:07 Verno

I don't want to see more Firefly, it was a great one off thing and I have fond memories but I've seen what happens when they go back (Serenity). It was cool but I'm sure Joss could do other cool stuff in the future too, just no more Dollhouse please is all I ask Ok parts of the second season were alright but they didn't make up for the rest.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 14:12 Cutter

I drive very aggressively - and I've taken advanced driving courses. I'm a superb driver because I have the right mindset and I'm always 100% focused on my driving - do not use phones, eat, etc. - and entirely situationally aware. A huge part of driving is the psychological aspect of it which most people will never master.

As for tickets, I always get one now and then, but I fight them and win! This is the Ontario site Ticket Combat that's provided me all the necessary tools I ever need to win from how to request information, to filing a Stay of Proceedings and arguing in court. Find one for your province or state. I suppose you can use the general information however and just need to look up your laws in your own Highway Traffic Act. I have yet to be convicted of a ticket in the last decade.

Stop making excuses Whedon! Just break your stupid contracts and focus on Firefly. What about your original contract with it...the one with out hearts?! Damn you! Bawling

And loving Ass Creed 3 so far. Ran into the wee hours with it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 13:33 1badmf

i probably learned as much about driving in driving school as in driver's ed. i don't remember them telling me in ED that pedestrians don't actually have right of way everywhere - just at crosswalks. for the purpose of safety they tell you that peds do, but legally and financially, if you hit a jaywalker, it's as much their fault as yours, depending on the circumstances.

and yeah, the test is a joke. my first test i got failed by a racist fuck who dinged me for not honking at an asshole that cut us off, among other nonsense. i do believe they started requiring a freeway stint shortly after my test though - that was nearly (gasp!) 20 years ago!.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 13:22 xXBatmanXx

We have to take that course every few years, which is funny, cause we TEACH THE FUGGIN COURSE! hahahah oh well. I told my old man to take it, he got a huge discount on insurance. Actually anyone in MN who takes it will get a discount, and it is required for most seniors.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 12:54 Bloo

I got buzzed I thought by a mobile camera unit over here in the UK in October and my gf got flashed by a Red Light camera just after. We both promised we would drive very carefully after that whether we got the points/fine or not.

Now in March both of us have not got fined or otherwise and so now will not. Because of this I feel free to just drive safely within the speed limits even if someone is driving up my arse.

I have been driving for 21 years - 38 years old and never learnt that before.

Guess somewhere a god of some description was listening...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2013, 12:46 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:53:
Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 11:05:
It sure explains just how fucking shitty a driver 90% of all Oklahomans are.
It isn't just the Oklahomans...

It is pretty much trial by fire. My driving instructor had me cruise on the freeway a few times just to get the feel for it when I was 15.5, but the actual test was pretty much the same as Creston's in South Cali, minus the parallel parking. The only thing I got dinged for was driving too fast in the parking lot, but that wasn't enough to fail me.

Only accidents I've had are fish tailing out in the rain twice (once taking out a fence, but both times no other cars were involved and only minor damage to my bumpers) to support the stereotype that no one in South Cali knows how to drive in the rain and getting rear ended at stop lights/traffic by people not paying attention or on their cell phones. I've gotten better with my rain driving over the years fortunately and I was driving a steel tank the 6 times I was rear ended so the damage was never even anything worth reporting on my end.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2013, 12:52.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo