Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Victory Kickstarter Cancelled

A new Kickstarter update from Petroglyph announces the cancellation of the fundraiser for Victory, their proposed World War II strategy game. Word is: "We’ve listened carefully to what the Kickstarter community has said, and it has given us many ideas of games we could do in the future. Additionally, multiple game publishers have expressed interest in Victory, based on your support, and we hope to still bring Victory to you with their help." There's an interview about this on IncGamers where they say they've learned better what type of game they need to plan to generate the support they require: "We’ve learned that Victory is definitely not the type of game that the Kickstarter community craves. We’ve received a ton of feedback, and it’s been very helpful and appreciated. A better Kickstarter project for us would be to make a much more traditional RTS game that appeals to the nostalgia of classic RTS gaming experiences from the 1990′s. Fans have suggested spiritual successors to Dune 2, C&C, Red Alert as well as sequels to Star Wars: Empire at War and Universe at War: Earth Assault."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 18, 2013, 05:10 Kajetan

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 21:57:
4. In multiplayer you are unlikely to run into foul mouth 12 year olds amped up on Mountain Dew.
Not when your mother forced you to integrate your stupid little brother into your weekly board gaming sessions with your friends

I love my brother, but as a child, he was unbearable.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 22:06 Mr. Tact

jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 21:57:
4. In multiplayer you are unlikely to run into foul mouth 12 year olds amped up on Mountain Dew.
No, but you might run into a 50 yr old amped up on Diet Dew, or hard liquor. But then it is a bit different when you've known the person for a couple of decades.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 21:57 jdreyer

.net_Drifter wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 21:42:
Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 18:09:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 16:32:
Also, too: the MOBA genre is saturated. Don't try to crowdsource something that everyone is sick of, even if you are using a setting that hasn't been tried before.

I don't know about that. Have you seen what some of the boardgame and PnP RPG systems have been doing? They've been crushing it huge. Blowing away video games actually. Several of them are close to 1200% over their funding goal. It's nuckin' futs.

Edit: Er, I meant 12,000%!

That percentage isn't quite as impressive when you take into account that many boardgame/pnp games start out asking for far less than most computer games do, at least the ones I've seen on Kickstarter. When your starting goal is between 5K to 30K, the percent funded can potentially be huge, especially compared to another project asking for a starting amount 30x higher.

What's more impressive to me is the amount donated per backer for these games, compared to computer games, with backers sometimes pledging up to 4x what a computer game backer does.

Board games have advantages over computer games that people don't mind paying for:
1. You get something physical.
2. It's DRM free.
3. You own it outright and can resell at your leisure.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

14. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 21:42 .Drifter

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 18:09:
Also, too: the MOBA genre is saturated. Don't try to crowdsource something that everyone is sick of, even if you are using a setting that hasn't been tried before.

I don't know about that. Have you seen what some of the boardgame and PnP RPG systems have been doing? They've been crushing it huge. Blowing away video games actually. Several of them are close to 1200% over their funding goal. It's nuckin' futs.

That percentage isn't quite as impressive when you take into account that many boardgame/pnp games start out asking for far less than most computer games do, at least the ones I've seen on Kickstarter. When your starting goal is between 5K to 30K, the percent funded can potentially be huge, especially compared to another project asking for a starting amount 30x higher.

What's more impressive to me is the amount donated per backer for these games, compared to computer games, with backers sometimes pledging up to 4x what a computer game backer does.

13. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:31 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 15:59:
Oof, yeah, like 4% to your goal half-way through the campaign...

It's easy to see why. Spend money to kickstart a project whose business model is basically microtransactions after you start the game.

Pay money way up front so I can keep on paying money to play your game is a shitty business model.

12. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:16 Jerykk

The problem with Victory is that it's a dumbed down WW2 RTS in a genre filled with superior WW2 RTSes. They should have at least picked a more interesting setting that hasn't been done to death.  

11. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:09 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 18:08 Cutter

Tom wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 17:47:
I don't buy that. Who is participating in KS/crowdsourcing and why? It's people who hear about something and think "that sounds awesome, I want it" and are willing to contribute a little bit up front to help make sure it happens. It's not investors or bored rich people who think "I have x dollars burning a hole in my pocket, what should I spend it on today?" It's not some special group of elite crowdsourcing devotees. Yeah, the people who contribute may be a little more hopeful, a little bigger fans, a little more passionate, maybe. But they're just regular people. Not some special community IMO.

I never said special, I said different. People who are generally more socially and environmentally concious fall into the KS demographic much more readily than the RealityTV/fast food crowd. A lot of the nongaming projects are mostly socially and environmentally progressive.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 17:56 Axis

To sound like a broken record... Petroglyph is crap. And gamers, tho it took sometime, are realizing this.  

Yours truly,

Axis

8. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 17:47 Tom

Cutter wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 15:42:
Not at all. I'd say people that are more likely to crowdsource are a more distinct group that fall into a community. Casual gamers won't, nor will mainstream console players. Even for non-gaming related funding I'd say most of it comes from people who walk to the beat of a different drum. That's why I get so pissed when I see rich people trying to use KS when that's not what it was intended for.

I don't buy that. Who is participating in KS/crowdsourcing and why? It's people who hear about something and think "that sounds awesome, I want it" and are willing to contribute a little bit up front to help make sure it happens. It's not investors or bored rich people who think "I have x dollars burning a hole in my pocket, what should I spend it on today?" It's not some special group of elite crowdsourcing devotees. Yeah, the people who contribute may be a little more hopeful, a little bigger fans, a little more passionate, maybe. But they're just regular people. Not some special community IMO.

If there was a real "Kickstarter community" it would be those fans of KS itself who browse around the site looking for projects and posting on their forums, promoting KS itself, etc. But that's got to be such a small % of KS contributors, and I doubt it's who Petroglyph was talking about - unless they made zero effort to promote their project outside of creating a KS for it, which would be really dumb.

7. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 16:32 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 15:59 jacobvandy

Oof, yeah, like 4% to your goal half-way through the campaign...  

5. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 15:42 Cutter

Tom wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 14:41:
We’ve learned that Victory is definitely not the type of game that the Kickstarter community craves.

By "the Kickstarter community" they mean "people" right? Seems like a very poor choice of words to me.

Not at all. I'd say people that are more likely to crowdsource are a more distinct group that fall into a community. Casual gamers won't, nor will mainstream console players. Even for non-gaming related funding I'd say most of it comes from people who walk to the beat of a different drum. That's why I get so pissed when I see rich people trying to use KS when that's not what it was intended for.

Anyway, Petroglyph got served!

4. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 14:41 Tom

We’ve learned that Victory is definitely not the type of game that the Kickstarter community craves.

By "the Kickstarter community" they mean "people" right? Seems like a very poor choice of words to me.

3. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 14:20 netnerd85

Mix AOE ROR resource management, C&C TS military and Dark Reign 2's engine. Weird combination...  

2. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 14:18 datachasm

i would like to see a real spiritual successor to Rebellion. EAW was quite good (but imo not deeply strategic at all) but support was sorely lacking, which may not be their fault but i haven't noticed that change on any game they have made (correct me if i am wrong). they are throwing out Red Alert and Dune... i just dont think this bunch of guys can make something like that these days that is actually innovative. are there really people who want a sequel to UAW?

i think the great Petroglyph was just a hyped up myth that never delivered.

1. Re: Victory Kickstarter Cancelled Mar 17, 2013, 14:08 Kajetan

" A better Kickstarter project for us would be to make a much more traditional RTS game that appeals to the nostalgia of classic RTS gaming experiences from the 1990&#8242;s. Fans have suggested spiritual successors to Dune 2, C&C, Red Alert ..."

Crowdfunding 101 for game developers: Try making a really unique game (art design or gameplay) or try to revive older, once very popular genres which vanished from the gaming charts 10-15 years ago. Those people who made these games popular back in the days are still out there. They havent changed their tastes, they are still here. And they have money because they are older and have jobs and some of them already have a midlife crisis. These people wont buy nifty cars or start an affair with some young chick from work. They will fund the shit out of your project if you can bring back their gaming youth!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo