Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's this week's list of the bestselling games on Steam:

1. Arma III Alpha
  2. BioShock Infinite
  3. Tomb Raider
  4. Far Cry 3
  5. Left 4 Dead 2
  6. Tropico 4: Collector's Bundle
  7. Anno 2070 Pack
  8. Age of Empires II HD Edition
  9. Resident Evil 6
  10. Arma II Complete Collection

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2013, 10:35 SpectralMeat

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 20:29:
It isn't the Alpha free, it is LITE. You can't play MP.

Which is understandable. If you like the Alpha Lite buy the game and you will get the Alpha with the MP and beta versions.
Not to mention the game is cheaper right now then what it will be ones released.
Sort of similar strategy as what Minecraft did.

lol @ Redmask
I didn't mean it in a bad way, was just pointing out that you can get the Alpha for free. In fact I still have one Alpha Lite code left from the 3 I've had, if you want it msg me on Steam and it is yours.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 20, 2013, 10:23 JohnnyRotten

Dev wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 14:24:
nin wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 13:58:
Man, Arma 3 is raking it in...smart marketing move.

And look at you, Anno!

I've been enjoying that thing. Its different than classic simcity, but has some elements of it too. It's its own game, and a fun one.

Me too - bought it because it was recommended here. Having a lot of fun with it.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 20:29 xXBatmanXx

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 19:58:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 07:55:
They are giving you the Alpha for free bud.

I feel like I should rebutt this with a big bolded PAL or something

It isn't the Alpha free, it is LITE. You can't play MP.

Pretty impressed with the graphics. Controls are the same as 2 though.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 19:58 Redmask

I feel like I should rebutt this with a big bolded PAL or something

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 12:17 xXBatmanXx

Techie714 wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 22:28:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 21:56:
Techie714 wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 21:04:
I've got keys too Steam name in sig.

yo, says we are friends....but too many beers to find you......

On the way!

Thanks CLIFF! See, wasn't my fault!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 11:14 nin

It launches an auto-patcher (useless, since Steam keeps the game up to date.)

I actually got some files through that, as apart of my install. Or at least it appeared to...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 11:12 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 08:51:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 08:48:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 04:51:
Anno 2070 is well worth it.
Is the Uplay usage for this a simple key verification, or is a constant connection to Uplay required? (I currently have no Uplay games...)
No constant connection required anymore. Ones your key verified you can play offline.

The only bad thing is the way Uplay integrates with Steam. Which is to say that it really doesn't. I start the game from Steam. It launches an auto-patcher (useless, since Steam keeps the game up to date.) Then it launches Uplay. in Uplay, I have to again hit "play game." Then the game launches. Then it sits there for about a minute on a "Login" screen, to hook you up with the online functionality.

Now, if you figure to just bypass Steam and start the game directly from Uplay? It won't show up. I currently have two games in Uplay that will ONLY show up if I launch them through Steam first. So when I launch Anno, I only see Anno, and when I launch AC3, I only see AC3. It's the absolute dumbest system anyone could have possibly come up with, and whoever is reponsible for it (be it Steam or Ubisoft) should be hung for it.

That said, the game runs fine offline. My internet flaked out on Saturday, and Anno loaded fine and allowed me to continue where I was just fine. Then while I was playing my internet came back, and it connected in the background, never bothered me with it or anything, until I noticed that the few online functions had popped back up.

So that's definitely a plus.

Creston

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 08:51 InBlack

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 07:13:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 06:08:
Fion wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 22:36:
Since when are people paying $40 to play an Alpha game? Am I missing something here? People bitch about paying for a game that 'might as well be Beta'. Now everyones forking over $40 for an ALPHA GAME?
Not sure if you are serious or trolling

How is that a troll? He's asking a legit question. I have been wondering the same thing myself, people seem fine buying up weird little alpha games on Steam but complain about other beta games or big games from publishers. They should be giving you the alpha, you're helping them kill bugs.

People are not buying an Alpha they are buying the game and whoever preordered it got the Alpha a week earlier as a bonus.
Maybe people buy this game because even in Alpha stage it is better then Arma2 was in finished stage.

Pretty much this, since this is not a free-to-play (read pay-to-win) online game where you have to basically buy your way into an alpha or beta just to participate in beta testing what you get is basically a pre-order where you can choose to participate in alpha or beta testing the game.

I usually disagree with preorders of any sort because in most cases you never know what youre getting but Bohemia has been pretty upfront about this game and besides if you are unsure about it, you can always check the steam forums and ask the people around here who have played the Alpha.

I have a nifty blue line!

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 08:51 SpectralMeat

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 08:48:
Is the Uplay usage for this a simple key verification, or is a constant connection to Uplay required? (I currently have no Uplay games...)
No constant connection required anymore. Ones your key verified you can play offline.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 08:48 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 08:45 Raptor

Yah what SpectralMeat said.

Here's a trick for the financially challenged to get ARMA 3 ~50% cheaper without waiting for a steam sale.

Buy ARMA 3 Alpha -> wait till release -> download finished game = profit

Or if you have an issue with any of this then the game is not for you anyways and you should play one of those other games which only has buttons for running, jumping, teabagging and shooting.

I also saw a brilliant post on the forums the other day:

I bought this today. And for the love of god I dont understand what this game is for.
I see you have some stuff called showcase which I assume are simple missions to show what the editor
can do and what you can do yourself. I scratched that off my list of to do things because I dont like playing with
or against AI.

Oh the humanity Bigcry

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 07:55 SpectralMeat

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 07:13:
Since when are people paying $40 to play an Alpha game? Am I missing something here? People bitch about paying for a game that 'might as well be Beta'. Now everyones forking over $40 for an ALPHA GAME?

How is that a troll? He's asking a legit question. I have been wondering the same thing myself, people seem fine buying up weird little alpha games on Steam but complain about other beta games or big games from publishers. They should be giving you the alpha, you're helping them kill bugs.

People are not buying an Alpha they are buying the game and whoever preordered it got the Alpha a week earlier as a bonus.
Maybe people buy this game because even in Alpha stage it is better then Arma2 was in finished stage.

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 07:13 Redmask

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 06:08 SpectralMeat

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 04:51 Dmitri_M

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 02:07 Dev

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 01:29:
So while the mission assumes you have a small city, I've built this sprawling metropolis that's got everything almost maxed out. Pretty cool that way (Until I got told I needed to build a second metropolis, this one with the other faction's units, and I had no more room on my damn island! )
LOL I'm playing that mission right now!

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 01:50 D4rkKnight

It's $33. It's a pre-order for ARMA III and the price goes up on release. I wish more companies did stuff like that.

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 01:29 Creston

Anno is awesome. Playing the campaign can be a little frustrating (very little explanation of what you need to do, and the triggers for subsequent goals in a mission are very weird and finicky), but what's cool is that you can take as long as you want to complete a goal, and build as far as you can.

So while the mission assumes you have a small city, I've built this sprawling metropolis that's got everything almost maxed out. Pretty cool that way (Until I got told I needed to build a second metropolis, this one with the other faction's units, and I had no more room on my damn island! )

Great game. I'm very glad Ubisoft has stepped back from their retarded DRM scheme, and I feel bad for the devs who made this great game and probably missed out on a fuckton of sales because of Ubi's stupid decisions.

Creston

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 00:41 Byte

Hmm. Arma III Alpha.. may have to try and check it out  

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2013, 00:40 Jerykk

The alpha access is basically a pre-order bonus. The $40 gets you the final game too.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo