Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Mobilization

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 18, 2013, 07:15 Redmask

Prez wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 00:42:
I text and drive all the time. It's probably the worst habit I have, and I know it's wrong, but I am constantly doing it. It is even illegal here in TN, but even that doesn't stop me.

I don't even text a lot on the whole, but for a number of reasons I am constantly getting texted while I drive - I'd say about 75% of my texts. I know - I am a bad person.

There are worse habits to have but you're going to end up in a serious car accident, it's just a matter of time. I don't text and drive because I don't like gambling with my life like that, there are enough risks at it is without taking unnecessary ones.

I used to have a bar phone that I could tap out short messages on without so much as a sideways glance and I used to do it all the time (much to my shame today).

It's the distraction that matters, not so much the method of input. I've even seen the police get into accidents, typing on those little computers. People often quote the responsiveness of a drunk thing but the real problem is that people who text and drive tend to weave and slow down drastically which other drivers aren't expecting. Worse, they aren't paying attention to their surroundings which make split second reactions difficult so you aren't as likely to react to another drivers mistake, increasing the chances of an accident.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 18, 2013, 01:45 TurdFergasun

Pigeon wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 21:10:
Frags4Fun wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 17:01:
The text while driving people are as bad, if not worse than, the drunks.
I'm so sick of these texting while driving losers. I'm also tired of hearing them say how good they are at it and it's perfectly safe. It's not safe! It's dangerous and nobody cares if you kill yourself. If one of these losers kills someone I care about while texting and driving, they better find a very good place to hide.
I hope that someone comes up with a way to put a stop to the driving and texting.

I think there have been a few studies showing just that. And you're right, it's amazing how many people think texting and driving is bad, but seem to feel they're the exception to the rule.

What percentage of the general public is qualified to be behind the wheel in any situation? maybe 30% at best, and of that 30% how many of those can safely multitask while driving? I'm quite sure there are many out there capable and exceptions to an overall ban on the activity, but I'm much more certain there are many drivers who shouldn't be aloud on the road in any situation at all, and that they are the majority. Anyone who's got some driving common sense and their wits with them and has commuted in a major city for hours a day or driven for a living would most likely testify to that.

12. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 18, 2013, 00:42 Prez

I text and drive all the time. It's probably the worst habit I have, and I know it's wrong, but I am constantly doing it. It is even illegal here in TN, but even that doesn't stop me.

I don't even text a lot on the whole, but for a number of reasons I am constantly getting texted while I drive - I'd say about 75% of my texts. I know - I am a bad person.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 23:35 Cutter

Julio wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 17:28:
Really what they should do is check your texting records at every accident. If you are doing so at the time of the accident, make it automatically your fault and some sort of additional huge penalties.

I think that's actually the case in some places that they do look into whether you were on a cell or not. I know if someone witnesses it the cops will check phone company records and you'll be charged. And they should be. Jesus, it's pathetic how many people just can't separate themselves from their fucking phones for a while.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 21:10 Pigeon

I'm so sick of these texting while driving losers. I'm also tired of hearing them say how good they are at it and it's perfectly safe. It's not safe! It's dangerous and nobody cares if you kill yourself. If one of these losers kills someone I care about while texting and driving, they better find a very good place to hide.
I hope that someone comes up with a way to put a stop to the driving and texting.

I think there have been a few studies showing just that. And you're right, it's amazing how many people think texting and driving is bad, but seem to feel they're the exception to the rule.

9. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 20:49 Saboth

I was riding home from work behind some idiot texting and driving just the other day. It took him 2-3 seconds to get moving from a stoplight, then he proceeded to drive 5-10 under the speed limit, weaving to the left and right of his lane, sometimes into the other lane. He got into a right turn lane about 5 turns before he should have, and just rode the lane all the way down. No turn signals or indication of what he was doing. He was texting the entire 5 minutes I was behind him. It was exactly like riding behind a drunk.  

8. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 18:12 Panickd

I should point out here that a majority of the "texting while driving" accidents that happen do not occur because someone was tapping a message into their phone while driving but because they were reading a text from someone else. And chances are if they ever kill someone you care about they won't have to find a place to hide because they'll have been killed in the accident as well.

Again, the self-driving car is long overdue.

7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 17:42 jdreyer

Google Maps Chief Steps Down.

Announces, "My work here is done."

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 17:28 Julio

Really what they should do is check your texting records at every accident. If you are doing so at the time of the accident, make it automatically your fault and some sort of additional huge penalties.  

5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 17:01 Frags4Fun

4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 16:15 Panickd

I used to have a bar phone that I could tap out short messages on without so much as a sideways glance and I used to do it all the time (much to my shame today). But people who do that kind of thing with smartphones with on screen keyboards are truly moronic. But then people do all kinds of stupid shit while driving. Just a few days ago I saw a guy in morning rush hour traffic eating an egg mcmuffin while reading something on an iPad propped up against his steering wheel. Every time I see something like that I think, "Christ, self-driving cars cannot get here fast enough!"  

3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 16:12 jacobvandy

They should just go ahead with integrating scrambler fields into all cars, so that you can't use your phone while inside. Pull over and get your lazy ass out if you need to communicate so badly.  

2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 14:44 JohnBirshire

Whether it is safe or not depends largely on what type of phone you have. I used to text and drive when I had a flip phone, I could type and send an entire message with perfect punctuation without even looking at it. When I upgraded to a smart phone with a physical keyboard, I could type the message without looking, then just had to briefly proofread before sending, at a red light or stop sign. However, my texting while driving days came to an end when I once again upgraded, this time to a smart phone with a digital keyboard. Forget it, it's practically impossible to text on them without taking your attention almost completely from the road. And since they are what the majority of cell phone users have nowadays, it's become extremely dangerous.  

1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 17, 2013, 14:00 nin

1 in 3 Americans still text and drive.

I'm getting really close to start calling these people in to 911. As soon as I see one swerve on the road, I pull up and...typing on the phone.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo