Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Supreme Commander 2 Patched

The Steam Community website has details on a new patch that's now automatically available for Supreme Commander 2 to update Gas Powered Games real-time strategy sequel with a bunch of changes and fixes. GPG was purchased last month, and this is the first update to the game in the past couple of years, though whether these two details are related is not clear.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 18, 2013, 05:08 mag

Steviepunk wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 10:25:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:30:
No, GPG has nothing to do with this. Well, I guess it's possible, but Square-Enix owns SupCom. Any new-found resources GPG have gathered elsewhere were not the reason for this patch. Would Chris Taylor get on the phone at this point, and say "Hey Squenix, we're not out of business after all, mind if we do some busy-work on our last game?" I'd think they'd have their hands full with whatever their new owners want them to do...

True, but also possible that Wargaming are wanting GPG to do more on the SupCom line. It's my understanding that most of that patch had been coded some time ago and never approved by Square (though this is going on previous interviews/blog posts that indicated they had changes they wanted to make). If a new deal is in place for GPG to develop SupCom 3, then a little raise of interest in SC2 would be beneficial.
Just speculation though, until something is announced regarding their next game, we know nothing!

SupCom3 will have resourcing and base-building completely removed and allow you to control one command unit in a MOBA-type environment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 17, 2013, 10:25 Steviepunk

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:30:
No, GPG has nothing to do with this. Well, I guess it's possible, but Square-Enix owns SupCom. Any new-found resources GPG have gathered elsewhere were not the reason for this patch. Would Chris Taylor get on the phone at this point, and say "Hey Squenix, we're not out of business after all, mind if we do some busy-work on our last game?" I'd think they'd have their hands full with whatever their new owners want them to do...

True, but also possible that Wargaming are wanting GPG to do more on the SupCom line. It's my understanding that most of that patch had been coded some time ago and never approved by Square (though this is going on previous interviews/blog posts that indicated they had changes they wanted to make). If a new deal is in place for GPG to develop SupCom 3, then a little raise of interest in SC2 would be beneficial.
Just speculation though, until something is announced regarding their next game, we know nothing!

11. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 21:13 Ventura

But what do you think still needs fixing in SC1? There are plenty of mods and maps and the base game runs very well, no anecdotal problems on a few systems, in fact the opposite!

When playing with AIs, a fix for the sim speed slowing to a crawl on the larger maps would have been nice. They introduced that tasty bug with FA and never did get around to fixing it. Broke the game for me, pretty much, and judging by the size of the thread over at the official forums, several others too.

The level of support that SC2 received absolutely dwarfed that of the original, so it's something that's definitely determined by who is the game's publisher.

10. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 20:19 dj LiTh

Optional Nickname! wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 11:54:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 10:32:
Too little too late, also i much rather them patch SC1

Agreed, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is the superior game. It approaches the same atmosphere of Total Annihilation's slowly evolving battle-lines and skirmish points especially when you slow it down and remove nukes/game-enders in the options. However the UI and waypointing system are still light-years ahead of anything else, including TA.

But what do you think still needs fixing in SC1? There are plenty of mods and maps and the base game runs very well, no anecdotal problems on a few systems, in fact the opposite!

Honestly....true multithreading support, the hacks dont really do it justice. I have high hopes for PA that it will be.

9. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 17:30 jacobvandy

8. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 17:17 LittleMe

I was shocked to see this in Steam news. Awesome they did this patch! Great way to bolster your rep by supporting previously abandoned software. Bethesda take note.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 17:16 Sempai

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 16:53:
The patch reduces map sizes by 90%, forces the player to always be online placing you in maps next to your friends, and lets you share resources with them. Because 1000s of people wanted to play across regions, trade, and communicate and they love the Always-Connected functionality. Unfortunately, the patch broke the AI so that once your army reaches 200 units, only 10% will actually move to attack the enemy. Also, only about 1 in 10 could actually log in to the servers to play.

Oh, wait, that didn't happen b/c GPG WASN'T bought by EA.

I have to say. i chuckled.

6. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 17:15 Sempai

Agreed, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance is the superior game. It approaches the same atmosphere of Total Annihilation's slowly evolving battle-lines and skirmish points especially when you slow it down and remove nukes/game-enders in the options. However the UI and waypointing system are still light-years ahead of anything else, including TA.

Agreed, but i would say the AI pathing is horrendous.

5. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 16:53 jdreyer

The patch reduces map sizes by 90%, forces the player to always be online placing you in maps next to your friends, and lets you share resources with them. Because 1000s of people wanted to play across regions, trade, and communicate and they love the Always-Connected functionality. Unfortunately, the patch broke the AI so that once your army reaches 200 units, only 10% will actually move to attack the enemy. Also, only about 1 in 10 could actually log in to the servers to play.

Oh, wait, that didn't happen b/c GPG WASN'T bought by EA.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 12:54 Creston

Wuh?

That seems odd.

Creston

3. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 12:26 Muscular Beaver

The AI from SC2 would be nice. That would not only make things much faster, but also would mean less frustration when sending lots of AIs somewhere.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

2. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 11:54 Optional Nickname!

1. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Patched Mar 16, 2013, 10:32 dj LiTh

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo