Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Mobilization

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 17, 2013, 19:43 Beamer

wtf_man wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 12:09:
Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:22:
I don't see why people keep fighting this.

It's after a certain consumer. Yes, it needs a Bluetooth keyboard, but saying "then you may as well buy a laptop" is idiotic.

I travel. Often. Having something much lighter than a laptop that can do anything a laptop can is extremely desirable. When I'm in the airport or on the plane the keyboard can be stowed away when I don't need it and I can just consume. Or it can come out and I can do work. That's significantly easier than carrying around a laptop AND a tablet.

Or, when I'm on the couch, if I'm consuming then I can just use the tablet. When I'm working I can use it in laptop mode.

It's trying to capture the best of both worlds, and that's entirely possible. Did it do it? No. But I can see it doing so within 2 more generations.

Ok, since you seem to want to twist the whole point...

You go spend $1200 on a Surface pro... I'll go spend half the amount on an ultrabook. I'll gladly trade the alleged convenience of not being able to stowe my keyboard separately for an extra $600 in my pocket.

We can figure out who is being idiotic, later. Rolleyes

I'm not saying it's a device for everyone. But people acting like it's a "toy" with no real use are just flat-out misguided and being intentionally dense.

It's an expensive device with some specific uses. Like, you know, most first generation devices that aren't quite like anything before. They're too expensive and they're buggy. Being an early adopter usually means you're ok with that.

Also, show me a decent ultrabook for $600. They don't exist. It's hard to find a decent one for $1200.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 17, 2013, 12:09 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:22:

It's after a certain consumer. Yes, it needs a Bluetooth keyboard, but saying "then you may as well buy a laptop" is idiotic.

I travel. Often. Having something much lighter than a laptop that can do anything a laptop can is extremely desirable. When I'm in the airport or on the plane the keyboard can be stowed away when I don't need it and I can just consume. Or it can come out and I can do work. That's significantly easier than carrying around a laptop AND a tablet.

Or, when I'm on the couch, if I'm consuming then I can just use the tablet. When I'm working I can use it in laptop mode.

It's trying to capture the best of both worlds, and that's entirely possible. Did it do it? No. But I can see it doing so within 2 more generations.

Ok, since you seem to want to twist the whole point...

You go spend $1200 on a Surface pro... I'll go spend half the amount on an ultrabook. I'll gladly trade the alleged convenience of not being able to stowe my keyboard separately for an extra $600 in my pocket.

We can figure out who is being idiotic, later. Rolleyes

23. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 17, 2013, 11:52 Beamer

Klaus Flouride wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:37:
The Surface, both, were meant to show what the mobile Win8 version could do. It wasn't meant to compete against the iPad or Android device.

The problem with that is that those are literally the other options, so it is competing directly against them.

Microsoft will say it wasn't mean to compete, meaning it wasn't expected to sell a ton (and their distribution strategy confirms this), but it was still expected to sell more.

The Pro is the smart idea. No doubt it's a form factor we'll see plenty of in the future, as tablet guts are getting powerful quickly and there will soon be no reason not to give it a full OS that can do anything.
The stylus, too, is a key part (which may or may not function correctly on the Pro.)

They just made their biggest mistakes with Windows 8 fighting people on how they want to use it.

-------------

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 16, 2013, 23:50 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 20:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:27:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:17:
What I REALLY don't understand is why MS isn't also offering a traditional tablet running Win 8. Since they have the software running on ARM, it seems braindead not to have such an offering.

I picked up a Galtab 2 over Christmas for $280. I would have gotten a Win 8 tablet for the same or a bit more if it had been available.

Why would they sell it for $300? They would want $1000 for it since it's the same as the Surface less the keyboard. That is the issue, if the win 8 version of Surface was $400, they'd have something. They think they can just turn themselves into Apple Gucci just like that, I reckon. Bzzzt. Wrong.

Okay, you just outed yourself as completely ignorant on this subject.

Up yours buddy, we are talking about the Win 8 version, hello! You want a weaker Win 8 version, well it's powered like it is because win 8 and it's apps need it or that is at least their beliefs.

Now your words... not mine:
"What I REALLY don't understand is why MS isn't also offering a traditional tablet running Win 8"

I took traditional tablet as no-keyboard, but same power as surface.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2013, 23:57.

21. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 23:42 DangerDog

Well it's a success, because I would never want to own a Windows 8 tablet.  

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 16, 2013, 21:37 Klaus Flouride

The Surface, both, were meant to show what the mobile Win8 version could do. It wasn't meant to compete against the iPad or Android device.  

When all else fails empty the magazine...

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 16, 2013, 21:22 Beamer

-------------

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 16, 2013, 20:09 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:27:
What I REALLY don't understand is why MS isn't also offering a traditional tablet running Win 8. Since they have the software running on ARM, it seems braindead not to have such an offering.

I picked up a Galtab 2 over Christmas for $280. I would have gotten a Win 8 tablet for the same or a bit more if it had been available.

Why would they sell it for $300? They would want $1000 for it since it's the same as the Surface less the keyboard. That is the issue, if the win 8 version of Surface was $400, they'd have something. They think they can just turn themselves into Apple Gucci just like that, I reckon. Bzzzt. Wrong.

Okay, you just outed yourself as completely ignorant on this subject. There are two versions of Surface: Pro ($1000) which is Wintel, and RT ($500) which is Windows on ARM. Of course they are never going to sell the Pro for $300, it's designed to compete with Mac Air. The RT, however, is designed to compete with iPad and Android tablets. The RT hardware is close to the Galtab. Remove the keyboard, halve the storage down to 16GB, and put in a cheaper proc, and you have a tablet that competes with the Galtab and is much cheaper than an iPad, despite having the same internals.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 20:06 mag

DangerDog wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:10:
Redmask wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 12:33:
Right now tablets aren't productivity tools, they are media consumption devices. The Surface Pro did nothing to change that and it is prohibitively expensive in this economy.

Still enjoying my $150 HP Touchpad running Android 4.01 mod, it's a nice "media consumption device".

No way in hell would I pay $500+ for a tablet.

You must remember, though, that that $150 Touchpad was a $600 device.

16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 19:59 Redmask

commonperson wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 15:57:
Right now tablets aren't productivity tools, they are media consumption devices. The Surface Pro did nothing to change that and it is prohibitively expensive in this economy.

Here's the thing, you don't have to buy a Surface Pro for MS to make money. Buy one of the Dell or other 3rd party ones they make money. It's all about creating the ecosphere. Once that's done they can rake it in.

Your assertion has nothing to do with my point, the tablet market is already served pretty well by its leaders. Creating something to show OEMs a base line is fine in theory but they didn't really pull it off here.

15. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 18:35 Rea1One

Apparently they only sold 1.5 million units which is deemed as a failure.

Anyway not everyone needs a crappy spec tablet when new generation mobile phones are more powerful with the newer Tegra 4 and still home PC are like way more powerful then any tablet/phone.

14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 18:22 Ant

I don't mind those laptops/notebooks that have tablet features though. However, I don't need one yet. Desktops are fine for me at the moment.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

13. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 16, 2013, 17:27 HorrorScope

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 17:17 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 17:10 DangerDog

Still enjoying my $150 HP Touchpad running Android 4.01 mod, it's a nice "media consumption device".

No way in hell would I pay $500+ for a tablet.

10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 16:48 Cutter

Well said. Who wants to blow $1200+ on a toy? I can get a complete PC or laptop that does everything it does and more for $300 +/-.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 15:57 commonperson

Here's the thing, you don't have to buy a Surface Pro for MS to make money. Buy one of the Dell or other 3rd party ones they make money. It's all about creating the ecosphere. Once that's done they can rake it in.

8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 15:56 commonperson

I think the article misses the strategic point of what Microsoft appears to be trying to do (in my opinion). From my take, they are creating premium brands to drive consumption. If you look at their OEM manufacturers they're coming out with more tablet or hybrid devices which still makes Microsoft money. They are setting a bar and letting their OEM manufacturers either jump it or slide under it but they've drawn their line in the sand and every hybrid, every other Windows 8 tablet that sells that's money in their pocket.

What they've done is they've diversified the market away from being a two player environment and inserted themselves in. They don't need to make a ton off the surface, sure it's great because all that money goes in their pocket but if they can get Dell and Sony and everyone else making product that fits their long term strategy of stifling the iOS platform then they've won.

Sure this is arm chair quarterbacking on my part, but hell even the guys at Penny Arcade talk about how it's a superior device for what they do (production of the comic) over other tablets. So if they can get cynics like those guys on board there's something to it.

7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 12:35 WaltC

Excellent point! I shall remember it!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 12:33 Redmask

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo