Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

With St. Paddy's falling on a Sunday, it seems pretty obvious that this will be a pretty raucous Saturday. Here's hoping everyone can wear their green without turning green. Please be careful of drunk drivers, and for goodness sake, don't be one yourself. But have a great time. Erin go Braugh!

Green Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Deadswitch 2.
Links: Whedon: No "Firefly" Kickstarter. Gorram.
Science: Cellphones as a Modern Irritant. Thanks j.c.f.
Neil deGrasse Tyson on Photons and Relativity.
Media: Tomb Raider: Reboot - Part 1, Part 2, and Making of.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 15:13 Mr. Tact

Interesting. Thanks Frans.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 14:45  Frans 

We know the site hiccups are caused by MySQL locking up, which in turn causes all Apache processes to eventually get tied up, waiting for queries to complete, and making the site unresponsive.

I've spent many an hour trying to figure out why MySQL locks up, obviously without success, so in recent months Blue and I simply resorted to restarting Apache & MySQL. Because we aren't always around, some outages last up to several hours. Sorry about that.

I suspect the problem is in the forums code, as that's the only code that has actual LOCK statements (when storing a new post and updating thread counters), but I don't have enough real MySQL wizardry under my belt to understand why this can run flawlessly for days or even several weeks, and then cause multiple lockups on some days again, like this weekend.

So there you have an update.

-- Frans

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 12:51 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 06:40:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND WE ARE BACK!

I've been forced to read the civitas trainwreck for entertainment.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 11:33 Dev

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 09:38:
El Pit wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 05:18:
Blue, what's happening?http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bluesnews.com.html
That site is ok, but I prefer this one.

I wonder who we need to convince to get Bluesnews website uptime tracked there. I mean, Blues is more important that FB, Twitter, or Tumblr to me...
That one doesn't appear to track bluesnews, so its worthless

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 09:38 Mr. Tact

Blue, what's happening?http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bluesnews.com.html
That site is ok, but I prefer this one.

I wonder who we need to convince to get Bluesnews website uptime tracked there. I mean, Blues is more important that FB, Twitter, or Tumblr to me...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 09:24 Redmask

Site has been down for over 30 hours in the past month, half of them in the past few days. Any word on what the deal is?  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 09:17 netnerd85

Blue, what's happening? Bluesnews.com has been pretty often down during the last few days. And not just for me.
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bluesnews.com.html

What's going on?
Indeed

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 06:40 xXBatmanXx

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND WE ARE BACK!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2013, 05:18 El Pit

Blue, what's happening? Bluesnews.com has been pretty often down during the last few days. And not just for me.
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/bluesnews.com.html

What's going on?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:26 nin

mag wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 22:21:
Riker wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 22:07:
Bah, disappointed to hear Whedon's response to the Veronica Mars Kickstarter. The longer he waits...

It's gone, man. Let it go.

Gotta agree. As much as I'd love to see it happen, and I think I KS could easily raise 2-3 million out of the gate, I just don't see it happening. Which is a shame...

At least we have Whedon on Avengers, and structuring the other Marvel movies. That's still pretty damn cool...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:22 Riker

mag wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 22:21:
Bah, disappointed to hear Whedon's response to the Veronica Mars Kickstarter. The longer he waits...

Yeah, I think so. Serenity was the last chance, I think, and that didn't go terribly well.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:21 mag

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:08 Dev

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:13:
Dev wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:44:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:05:
So, I put the question to you: Why preorder?

Nowadays they give you exclusives and items that you may not get if you don't pre-order. Thats exactly why they do it. In addition, if you get the game at full price, you may end up having to spend extra money buying some of the things in the pre-order.

Me, I'm more of the camp of waiting for the GotY and getting the complete thing with all the DLC. Saves a ton of money.
Or if its something I really want, doing a 30%+ off deal on GMG on a pre-order works too. I don't pre-order often on big titles, last one I think was x-com.

eh, pre order stuff is now just skinned items or costumes. There is NO REASON to pre order anymore. Most of the time the game is 10-20% off retail a week after release.
Often, but not always. Like the $10 extra class thing from BL2 that you got from pre-ordering but had to buy otherwise, that wasn't a skinned item. It also wasn't in the season pass. They did that on purpose

Or hitman game, the sniper mini game thing was ONLY pre-order. I don't think they've ever yet offered it for sale otherwise. It annoyed me to no end that the code I got for it off of ebay (since I didn't pre-order), never synced up with my hitman account. So the stuff I did in the mini game never did anything in the main game. Despite them doing patches that supposedly fixed that.

I'm not arguing for pre-orders, like I said, I usually wait for GotY. And BL2 had a lot of great sales especially from GMG. And I dislike any sorta exclusives, I want to get the whole thing whenever the frack I choose to buy the game.

I'm just saying, this is why they don't always do just skins, because they are trying to push people into doing pre-orders.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 22:07 Riker

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 21:13 xXBatmanXx

Dev wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:44:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 17:05:
So, I put the question to you: Why preorder?

Nowadays they give you exclusives and items that you may not get if you don't pre-order. Thats exactly why they do it. In addition, if you get the game at full price, you may end up having to spend extra money buying some of the things in the pre-order.

Me, I'm more of the camp of waiting for the GotY and getting the complete thing with all the DLC. Saves a ton of money.
Or if its something I really want, doing a 30%+ off deal on GMG on a pre-order works too. I don't pre-order often on big titles, last one I think was x-com.

eh, pre order stuff is now just skinned items or costumes. There is NO REASON to pre order anymore. Most of the time the game is 10-20% off retail a week after release.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 21:12 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 18:16:
Killer Kane wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 18:13:
If you must drive when you are drunk, drive really really fast...so you're not on the road for as long.

You guys are horrible!

I got the fridge totally stocked here, with moonshine, gin, and whiskey. No need to leave the house, I'll just stop once I fall down a few times (true story, with the moonshine).

I shuold have stopped by a few years ago when I came through - will let ya know next time I am through....

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 21:09 xXBatmanXx

Dagnamit wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 16:39:
Speaking of far cry 3. On sale for $30 on steam. Finally picked it up, and looking forward to fun shootem up. On a scale of doom to just cause 2, how sandboxy fun is it?

Gets pretty grindy if you do everything, I was so overpowered when I finally played the story. The story itself is actually pretty short.....doesn't have the content anywhere near JC1 or JC2. Still a very solid game for 30.00.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 19:31 Will W

Quick question for the residents of Manstovia...what temperature do you smoke a corn beef to? I know....pastrami without the rub. I say 190, my father says 165. The google box isn't much help, opinions seem to vary wildly. Does anyone have experience with smoking corn beef to different temps,or making pastrami?

As for fund raisers I say blue holds a summer cookout at his house, complete with wings and chilli. $40 entry fee and BYOB.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 18:16 nin

Killer Kane wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 18:13:
If you must drive when you are drunk, drive really really fast...so you're not on the road for as long.

You guys are horrible!

I got the fridge totally stocked here, with moonshine, gin, and whiskey. No need to leave the house, I'll just stop once I fall down a few times (true story, with the moonshine).

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2013, 18:13 Killer Kane

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo