Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"

A new update from Lucy Bradshaw on SimCity offers "straight answers" from the General Manager of EA's Maxis label on the topic of "Always-Connected and why SimCity is not an offline experience." She goes into detail on all the benefits their approach to requiring the game be played online, saying: "In many ways, we built an MMO." She concludes by explaining that they recognize that there are fans who want to be able to build a single city in isolation, but this does not fit with their vision:

So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision. We did not focus on the “single city in isolation” that we have delivered in past SimCities. We recognize that there are fans – people who love the original SimCity – who want that. But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality. The SimCity we delivered captures the magic of its heritage but catches up with ever-improving technology.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 22:17 Cutter

If she was hooked up to a polygraph when she said that the needles would fly off the fucking machine!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:52 deqer

Don't bother explaining it to him, Mr. Tact.

Not worth your time. lol

24. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:48 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 21:40:
Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 20:49:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 20:35:
You built an MMO? 16 is massive? Congratulations Lucy, if you weren't already there you are now on the official list of idiots working at EA.

Taken in the context that she said it in, that's not necessarily unreasonable. But Blue didn't convey the context, so you'd have to have actually read her post. Easier to just insult her, eh?
Actually, I did read her update before posting. Even within the context of her statement her comment is idiotic on it's face.

How so?

- Quboid

23. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:46 deqer

Hurry up and go "level up" your city, guys. Because it won't be around forever. lulz.

Keep playing it, so they can data mine all your moves and activity and strategize for their next MMO based on that data. lol

22. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:42 Prez

So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision.

Understanding that this statement is just PR speak for "we put DRM in and we're not taking it out so deal with it fuckers", it still stuns me with how arrogant and ignorant it is. God I hate EA.

Even within the context of her statement her comment is idiotic on it's face.

Yup.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:40 Mr. Tact

You built an MMO? 16 is massive? Congratulations Lucy, if you weren't already there you are now on the official list of idiots working at EA.

Taken in the context that she said it in, that's not necessarily unreasonable. But Blue didn't convey the context, so you'd have to have actually read her post. Easier to just insult her, eh?
Actually, I did read her update before posting. Even within the context of her statement her comment is idiotic on it's face.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

20. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:26 deqer

Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 21:22:
She was comparing how they

Nah. It's an MMO.

Move along now.

19. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:22 Quboid

She was comparing how they plan to continually develop and add to the game to how an MMO typically continues to develop after launch. That's the context and as far as we know, she's right. Stop looking for sticks to beat EA with, there's more than enough real ones.  

- Quboid

18. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:16 Omni

So now Simcity is an MMO. A-Ha.

I like how they keep coming up with random excuses for the always online.

Waiting for proper version aka scene release.

17. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:15 deqer

"It didn’t come down as an order from corporate and it isn’t a clandestine strategy to control players. "

Yes it did, and yes it is.

Please, Lucy, take all that bullshit and kindly shove it up your ass.

16. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:14 Tanto Edge

I said it before. I'll say it again.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

k thx bai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

15. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:11 deqer

It is an MMO. I said that in the previous thread. When you take everything into account, and then the fact that you can't save, play with disasters, then reload your game; it's obvious it's an MMO. They want you to "grind" a new city over again if you want to play with disasters.

LOL.

"But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision."

LOL

"But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality."

ROFL.

Bullshit on top of more bullshit. A huge cake of shit, is that this is.

You're all sheeple.

14. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:02 wtf_man

No, They did not make an MMO.

Since they say it better than I can, Quoting current RPS Article:

Things then take a turn for the darned strange when Bradshaw adds,

“The game we launched is only the beginning for us – it’s not final and it never will be. In many ways, we built an MMO.”

In almost no ways have they built an MMO. The first M rather puts pay to that suggestion, with minimal numbers of players interacting, and even then interacting through relatively remote systems. Let alone that it’s a management game that previously functioned perfectly well without the addition of social aspects – which is what makes it so mystifying that apparently adding something has caused so much more to be taken away. But the association with an “MMO” is an essential part of the vocabulary Maxis and EA want us to use, to reinforce the notion that this hasn’t been about piracy, preventing solo-play cheating, and controlling players’ experiences. “Oh, MMOs,” we’re supposed to say. “Yeah, good point, because you couldn’t play World Of Warcraft offline, could you? So this must be the same.” We’re asked to ignore that SimCity looks, feels and plays like a single-player game with some multiplayer functionality, and instead conflate it with an entirely different type of game. It’s a blatantly fallacious stance, but one that’s unfortunately perpetuating. (Check out many other sites’ coverage of Bradshaw’s statements this evening.) Bradshaw then says,

“So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision.”

And this is something else we’ve been meaning to mention. This notion that SimCity was born in Maxis’s womb as a permanently online, perpetually social game, is somewhat at odds with, well, Maxis’s own words from just a year ago. Back then they made it clear to the press that the internet would only be needed to boot the game, and then it could run offline after that. These straight answers seem as wobbly as the new SimCity’s roads.

13. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Meridian 59 called on the word massive. I like the look of it, but I don't like the gutted, neutered way it's been changed. I keep looking at it and I *might* buy it when it drops in sale price to $4.99, maybe. I mean I got Dragon Age II for free and I said I'd only ever play it if EA gave it to me...well they did. I can wait for this to tank in price too.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:49 Quboid

- Quboid

11. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:43 Rattlehead

Stupid fucking idiots really don't want my money.

And yea, the entire "it was our decision not EA" is complete horseshit. We all know it was EA.

Seriously Lucy, stop bullshitting. You could have easily implemented optional online for people that want that crap and a traditional offline mode for those who don't. I don't want to be social when I play games. Stop acting like you know what gamers want, because you don't. You heard the outcry of thousands of people months before the game's release but you ignore it and basically said they were wrong. But look now at you know. Your reputation is forever tarnished.

What benefits are there to being online? Oh, not being able to log in for a game I FUCKING PAYED FOR(I didn't actually buy the game), waiting in queue? Stupid useless social features I won't use? Reduced city size? The list goes on and on, but gamers have already proved that everything you say is complete bullshit. You can play the game offline just fine without having to rebuild the game as you so callously say. Once ReLOADED and Skidrow get their shit together, I will pirate this over and over, and you can count on that.

I am so pissed to see this franchise ruined by bullshit.

Fuck you EA, fuck you Maxis and fuck everyone who supported this horse shit. You are all dishonorably discharged.

Take notes developers, this is what happens when you sign on with EA. These assholes must be stopped.

10. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:41 Ozmodan

Zoom, people at EA are so naive. Look at the market EA, most games have single player mode and then offer multiplayer as an option. Not EA.

How clueless can you get?

9. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:35 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:17 Kajetan

jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 20:09:
We've had so much (deserved) negativity that I'm wondering if there are actually people out there enjoying this game.
There are. There are always people who enjoy games which where broken, unfinished shit. Sometimes this is the reason why those people love a game. Because its so broken, they had to laugh all the time playing it. I remember a guy who laughed his way through Dungeon Lords. He said, it was hilarious how buggy, unfinished and broken this game was.

Ahhh, you mean genuinely enjoying it? Sure. Some. The question is, are there enough to make enough profit?

7. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 20:13 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 20:09:
But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality.

Honest question: Are there people here on Blues enjoying the Always-Connected functionality?

We've had so much (deserved) negativity that I'm wondering if there are actually people out there enjoying this game.

I've seen a few people mention they enjoyed it when everything is working the way it should but that it seems to come at the expense of too many other areas of the game.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo