Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GamesIndustry International - We're not always online; games shouldn't be either.
Always-online approaches to singleplayer have an extraordinary appeal for game creators, but they are a terrible idea, exemplifying all of the worst characteristics lambasted by the "defective by design" argument. This is only magnified when the approach is applied to a much-loved franchise like Diablo or Sim City, where players have a completely reasonable expectation of singleplayer functionality which the developer has rashly chosen to ignore. "This will be fine for the majority of players," I'm sure they thought - and they're right, but only in a narrow sense. I could play Sim City most of the time, certainly, so the always- online component should be fine for me - but at many times when I'd like to play it (trains, flights, hotel rooms, Christmas at home, etc.) I won't be able to, and that fact looms large on any purchase decision. I'm in the majority whom EA probably consider to be unaffected by their always-online strategy, but they're wrong; always-online means I won't buy their game, and sadly, it also means that what looks like a genuinely excellent update of the franchise is doomed to be remembered for its aggressive unpleasantness towards players

View
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 16, 2013, 10:16 HorrorScope

This is stupid. You know if the game requires it and then you make a choice if you want in or not. Like any other purchase. If you require offline mode and it doesn't exist, then no buy for you. You speak with your wallet. Don't need to say if they should or shouldn't, they can do what the hell they want. That is their product, their offering. Next.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2013, 22:20 Cutter

Don't buy them and they won't make them. It got rid of Starforce. It forced Ubsisoft to change its position. etc. etc. etc. Money talks, bullshit walks.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2013, 20:13 jdreyer

It's common sense, and consumer-friendly, so obviously big publishers won't listen.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo