Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ace of Spades Free Weekend

Jagex announces a free weekend in Ace of Spades, their voxel graphics multiplayer shooter, which can be played on Steam gratis between now and Sunday afternoon. The game is also on sale during that time for 50% off. Here's word:

Combine construction, combat and creativity to take out the enemy in an entirely destructible world this weekend! Ace of Spades will also be available half the normal price on Steam until Monday 17:00 GMT, so itís the perfect time to experience Ace of Spadesí unique multiplayer mayhem for yourself.

Ace of Spades has proved hugely popular since itís launch, firmly cemented itself as one of the most popular Steam titles, peaking at #1 on the Steam charts and has consistently featured in the global top 10 list for games under £7 since December last year.

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 16:27 Krizzen

I had a lot of fun with Ace of Spades when it was free. I felt the shooter mechanics and netcode were pretty solid (though shallow with only a rifle, SMG, and shotgun to choose from). The commercial version doesn't appear to add anything meaningful beyond the free game other than a bit of polish.

For me, the most interesting part of the game is the engine. It uses Ken Silverman's old Voxlap engine. Ken Silverman is the guy who wrote the Build engine, used in games like Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, and Redneck Rampage. I loved Build!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 07:17 yuastnav

Yes, this game is not very good. The old, free version was more interesting. Sadly they fethed up when they made this one.

The idea behind is interesting but the interface itself is clunky and manipulating the world does not work very well nor does it have much purpose.
It could probably be a bit better if they made the map smaller and gave the teams some time before the actual game started to fortify their base. They didn't and thus the game does not work very well.
Apart from that it's not very well made.

Some indie developers make the movement, the controls and the overall feeling of the game "fluent", it just feels good, like in Trine or in Unepic, to name to arbitrary examples. A fps example would be Warsow (although this is based on the quake 2 engine and thus the reason why the movement is good) but Ace of Spades just doesn't feel any fun, nor is it fun to play.

3. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 03:21 Ant

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/692959-ace-of-spades/index.html showed low scores. I will pass.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

2. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 15, 2013, 00:40 xXBatmanXx

Not sure if people play, but the game isn't that good. Just burrow a hole and you can defend anything. The maps are way to big for current players. oh well. They tried.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

1. Re: Ace of Spades Free Weekend Mar 14, 2013, 23:44 SlimRam

"Ace Of Spades"

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man, You win some, lose some, all the same to me,
The pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say, I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
The Ace Of Spades

Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil, Going with the flow, it's all the game to me,
Seven or Eleven, snake eyes watching you, Double up or quit, double stake or split,
The Ace Of Spades

You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools, But that's the way I like it baby,
I don't wanna live for ever, And don't forget the joker!

Pushing up the ante, I know you wanna see me, Read 'em and weep, the dead man's hand again,
I see it in your eyes, take one look and die, The only thing you see, you know it's gonna be,
The Ace Of Spades

Lemmy is God

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

"I love the smell of napalm and 'Fruity Pebbles' in the morning."

Bill Kilgore - Apocalypse Now

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo