Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 13:24 Axis

Let me just give you some insight to the way I see things playing out.

The new Playstation and Xbox consoles will release around Christmas 2013. Both will sell at a loss, but be very expensive (likely $400+). Nintendo will cut it's Wii U price and have a nice bundle of games at the ready, likely to see it in the $250 range with some solid games included.

Hardware wise, PS and Xbox will be impressive compared to the Wii U. Real world gaming you won't notice a difference at all - marketing still works.

The economy will still be terrible, maybe worse (around the world), and all console sales will be unseasonably low -- course that won't stop the masses from speculating sales loss due to hardware configuration....

I have to change the batteries in my crystal ball, good enough for now.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 11:01 ldonyo

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 22:52:
Titan not worth the cost.
That's for damn sure!

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 10:22 avianflu

the sole thing keeping AMD alive are these console hardware contracts.  

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 10:08 Optional nickname

But the Titan @ $1K, IS?  

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 eRe4s3r

Julio wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 06:21:
I highly doubt Nvidia on this one. Its not going to be at the same margins as their PC business, but I'm sure they still wanted it rather than giving AMD a lease on life.

Unless AMD underbid highly competitive just to survive the next years.... NVIDIA is in no bad shape, but AMD is. CPU market is nearly dead for AMD, Intel I7/I5/I3 dominates everything, last I checked the market share is 75/25 Intel vs AMD. GPU market is losing grounds and extremely competitive with INTEL and NVIDIA pushing.

I have the feeling Nvidia wants to push technology ahead while AMD is stuck producing outdated crap for consoles instead of making highly profitable stuff. So not sure why ... but this feels like a bad thing for AMD.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 09:27 Verno

LittleMe wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 01:39:
I respect nV's call on this and I think they're right. They could make more money doing a lot of other things. Seems to me like AMD almost had no choice, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Eh I don't know about that. The scuttlebutt on some tech forums is that Nvidias bid came in way above expectations so both Sony and Microsoft went with AMD who also has a better integrated platform for consoles (better thermals and power efficiency which are always over budget on consoles).

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 06:21 Julio

I highly doubt Nvidia on this one. Its not going to be at the same margins as their PC business, but I'm sure they still wanted it rather than giving AMD a lease on life.  

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 03:40 entr0py

Nvidia : You guys, Sony totally asked me out first, but I was all like "it's not worth the cost". And Sony was all like, "cost? we'd be the ones paying you" but then I was all like whatever!  

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 02:11 Fantaz

LittleMe wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 01:39:
I respect nV's call on this and I think they're right. They could make more money doing a lot of other things. Seems to me like AMD almost had no choice, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think Sony chose AMD, not the other way around... better price:performance ratio (like ATI/AMD cards always are) and NVidia is just being sour that they weren't chosen. NVidia has a big chunk of the tablet/phone processor market now so they shouldn't really care much.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 15, 2013, 01:39 LittleMe

Perpetual debt is slavery.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 23:47 commonperson

Hellbinder wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 22:40:
lets see $50 per system times 10 million.... yeah that totally sucks. im sure that having all the hardware in all 3 consoles must really really suck.

Is that the for sure money they'll make? Honestly that seems a bit high. That being said, sure they may make a boatload but it comes down to logic of scale, if they have a razer thin margin they may suffer long term. Frankly, I don't care either way. I like AMD but I also like Nvidia, it does sound like sour grapes on Nvidia's part, that entire "it's clearly not a technology thing" sounds like a jilted lover commenting on their replacement. Just as some one working in the numbers side of retail I'd be very curious to know what the actual profits per unit will be. The one thing though, since it's the same or similar architecture it'll be much easier for developers.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 22:52 NegaDeath

Titan not worth the cost.  

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 22:40 Hellbinder

fujiJuice wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 22:29:
nin wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 21:29:
PS4 not worth the cost, says Nvidia.

So says the loser...

I don't know, I think that is probably the case. I am sure nvidia could have outbid them for the contract, but is it really worth it? I would think the profits for each unit are miniscule.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

yeah right...

lets see $50 per system times 10 million.... yeah that totally sucks. im sure that having all the hardware in all 3 consoles must really really suck.

The Whales name is Bob.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 22:29 fujiJuice

So says the loser...

I don't know, I think that is probably the case. I am sure nvidia could have outbid them for the contract, but is it really worth it? I would think the profits for each unit are miniscule.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 22:24 Jivaro

So says the loser...

I was going to say...

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 21:29 nin

So says the loser...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 14, 2013, 21:28 DangerDog

I wonder how it will play out for the new consoles if AMD bit the dust.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo