Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?

A new video on YouTube shows the work of UKAzzer, who has (apparently) intrepidly worked out how to play the new SimCity offline with some home hacking, in spite of EA's suggestions this would be a massive, if not impossible undertaking (thanks Videogamer). Here's word:

So with a little bit of package editing within SimCity, and a little playing about in the code, it's possible to enable debug mode. I linked the activation to the "Help Center" button in the main menu for ease. Most debug features are disabled without having an actual developer's build (they have terraforming tools etc. available in the full developer build!), but a few things do still work - including editing the main highways.

Not only that - but you can edit the highways ANYWHERE - even outside of your city boundary... and even if you quit the game and log back in later, it's all saved safely on the server.

This shows that highway editing will be easily possible, AND that editing outside of the artificially small city boundaries should be very viable too.

Other things I have modded out with a quick change: Unlimited time to remain disconnected (won't get booted at 20 minutes, can now be disconnected "forever"). Population count now shows REAL figure, not the "artificially inflated" figure. My large cities have a population of about 15k now, not 100k :P

View
161 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

101. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:40 Beamer

From Ars:
"And because there's no save games, I can't go back in time to try a different route. There's no freedom to experiment. Because you suffer permadeath."

Really?
Wow. I mean, every session I played of SC2K ended with me inducing a billion disasters and watching the chaos. And I loved tweaking to either see how to make disasters worse or how to fight them best. But, inevitably, my final 3-5 minutes would just be an endless string of disasters.

Can't do that now, eh?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

100. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:21 entr0py

MindStalker3 wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:52:
entr0py wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:17:
But it's proof that EA could release an offline patch, if they were ever willing to admit to their mistakes.

Its not just a matter of "admitting their mistakes", it would be admitting that their general direction of all games being online and using this to combat DRM is wrong. This is a policy that starts from the TOP, they could have released SimCity without all these requirements, but now that its out there it has to stay unless they decide to give up on this type of DRM all together. They would much rather take the loss of this one game and try to do it better next time than do a complete UTurn.

You're right, but that's exactly the mistake I'm talking about. The people at the top are definitely the problem. Having a single player mode means that piracy is possible, there's no getting around it, and no need to get around it. All that's needed is for them to accept that their customers consist of the people willing to buy their product, and pirates are irreverent.

That would take a huge change in direction, and it seems unlikely. But, this is the first time they've crossed this particular line. And if every time they try to online a single player game the reviews and player response was this bad, they would learn their lesson. If they have to choose between making more sales and being DRM zelots, I think they'll go with the sales.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 18:24.

99. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:12 Jivaro

I am not arguing with anything you just said RT, however it is fair to point out that the "early EA" has about as much in common with today's EA as the early Atari has with today's Atari.

The hatred expressed here, imho, is born out of that disappointing reality. It is repeated with the hopes that more people will see the points and do exactly what you are suggesting...not buy from them. Unfortunately, human nature is such that if all the vocal people stop talking, the non-vocal people start forgetting. It is why these companies get away with what they do...gamers, on the whole, have the memories of a gnat and the attention span of a fruit fly. If people are interested in change the need to remain vocal about it. On social media, on fan sites, on news sites, one private forums, and most importantly on the official forums.

I am not saying it doesn't get tiresome, and I am not saying that it doesn't seem very odd to hear people complain about EA and yet buy their games because "SHINY!!!" or "I have been a fan since before you were born!!", I am just saying that "shut up and deal with it" has never changed anything. Unfortunately.

98. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:06 Dev

I miss the good ole EA days. Back when they were a decent company. Back when they made games like Skate or Die (or Ski or Die), Hard Hat Mack, MULE, Populous, etc.  

97. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 16:03 Beamer

Lionhead shouldn't be outright killed - it was sold to Microsoft.

Starbreeze they do not and have not ever owned.

EA hasn't actually killed anyone in a long while. Maxis is a brand name, so I wouldn't even call them slowly dying (when Will Wright left they died, exist in name only.) I believe it was actually shut down when Wright left.

BioWare? Not sure. Its brains left, too.

PopCap, to the best of my knowledge, is doing well.

I think EA really learned its lesson with burning studios to the ground. And I think, for the most part, they show that by not buying studios rather than buying them and fostering them.
But we'll see over time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

96. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:57 RollinThundr

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:29:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:19:
What bothers me about Creston's short list here is it's not even accurate or legitimate.
Feel free to make a legitimate accurate complete long list.

To be honest it wouldn't be all that different except that Starbreeze is NOT owned by EA, and Mythic still exists. I miss Origin Systems and Bullfrog and Westwood too, but I'm not na´ve enough to think EA is the only publisher that has bought out a dev only to close them a short time afterwards. Infograms (Atari) has done it countless times, Take Two has done it. Activision has done it.

I get the reasons people hate EA, there's things they've done over the years that I haven't liked either but jesus as much as you guys call me a broken record, at what point does repeating the same shit over and over to try and legitimize hate for a particular company also get old? EA's done enough shit over the years to earn that hate sure, but saying it over and over again 30 times a thread doesn't do a damn thing.

People want EA to change? STOP BUYING THEIR GAMES! When their profits take enough of a hit, maybe they'll start to get the idea that shitty customer service is bad, and putting things like MT's into their games does nothing but fuel people's hate for them.

I honestly think people forget that EA at one point early in their existence was all about giving game developers not only credit for their works during a time in the industry where we didn't have credit screens at the end of a game and also created and funded some pretty god damn awesome games over the years. Rather than what they're doing now following in the footsteps of Blizzard and Ubisoft with game crippling DRM.

That SimCity shipped in the state it did, and is so reliant on an always on connection that it sounds like it actually breaks the game is definitely something to hold them to the flame for. But after almost a week of countless SimCity threads where the same shit is rehashed for the 100th time, at this point it'd be more useful to bitch at EA directly.

95. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:56 Dev

Props to ubi, if they timed their Anno 2070 sale for now.
Just because of simcity being out, it has increased my desire to again play a city simulation. Despite that I have zero intention of playing this simcity catastrophe, and certainly wouldn't pay EA more than a couple bucks for it, and maybe not even then.
But I went ahead and got anno 2070.

BTW, the complete game pack isn't, it doesn't appear to give you the deluxe version of the game, and there's no deluxe upgrade pack like some games do (though it does have everything else, so if you dont care about the bits that the deluxe adds, getting the complete game pack should be fine)
Also the complete DLC pack isn't, it doesn't include deep ocean.

So, to get everything add 3 things to cart.
1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

94. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:53 KilrathiAce

If you havent bought EA game recently then you will feel good and make sure you never do in future, if you are one of the people who still buying EA games, stop. If what you see here still doesnt convince you then I dont know what to say.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

93. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:52 MindStalker3

entr0py wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:17:
But it's proof that EA could release an offline patch, if they were ever willing to admit to their mistakes.

Its not just a matter of "admitting their mistakes", it would be admitting that their general direction of all games being online and using this to combat DRM is wrong. This is a policy that starts from the TOP, they could have released SimCity without all these requirements, but now that its out there it has to stay unless they decide to give up on this type of DRM all together. They would much rather take the loss of this one game and try to do it better next time than do a complete UTurn.

92. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:49 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:29:
I've been tempted. Really my biggest drawbacks are that
A) I'd be giving ~ 7$ to EA.
B) I remember full well that the main Sim City 4 bug, where a single unemployed Sim can fucking ruin your city, has remained ever unfixed to this day. In fact, in most large cities that I've viewed on Youtube, it says they are all using mods of some kind to get around it.

Maybe Steam will put it on sale for $5 again sometime soon. Figures that I gave away my SC4 and Rush Hour DVDs to students at my wife's school last year...

Creston

Well...

Whatever Steam's price for a true single player game, without having to sign up for origin, seem 1000 times better than $50+ for the shit they just released.

If there is a mod for the major bug fix, that makes it even more viable.

Since Cities XL doesn't seem to be an option for most people... I think Sim City 4 might be their ticket.

And it'd be hillarious if somehow Sim City 4 suddenly outsold Sim City 2013. Mybe EA would get the message.

...Nah.

91. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:45 Vex

Cabezone wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 14:44:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 14:33:
Shineyguy wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 14:03:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:58:
Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:53:
Any others? I'm sure I'm missing at least half a dozen other studios that EA killed.

Creston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

EA has a stake in Novalogic? NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Like Novalogic was ever relevant or even a decent developer.

Voxels motherfucker....voxels

I have fond memories of seeing a single pixel shift in the distance in delta force and then dying from a sniper shot 1 kilometer away.

90. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:29 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:19:
What bothers me about Creston's short list here is it's not even accurate or legitimate.
Feel free to make a legitimate accurate complete long list.

89. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:19 RollinThundr

Baenwort wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:11:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:39:
This is not nearly the first time EA has decimated a studio they've bought out. Is origin around anymore? Bullfrog? Or any of the others?

Let's see if we can make a full list of studios that have they outright killed, and studios that are currently in the slow process of dying from the EA-touch.

Outright killed:

- Origin
- Westwood
- Bullfrog
- Mythic
- Lionhead (not sure if this one should be in the next category or not.)
- Pandemic

Slowly dying:

- Maxis
- Starbreeze
- Lionhead (just for completeness' sake. I have no idea if they're actually still around.)
- Bioware. (I'm on the fence on this one. DA2 was absolutely EA-ified, but ME3 was a very good game that just suffered from one dipshit writer who is way too much in love with himself. DA3 and ME4 will be the final nail in the coffin, or a slight reprieve from their inevitable death.)
- Popcap.

Any others? I'm sure I'm missing at least half a dozen other studios that EA killed.

Creston

The one I'll always be pissed about is Kesmai.

Creators of: Multiplayer Battletech(Solaris, 3025, etc); AirWarrior(Amiga through 4); Islands/Legends of Kesmai; Stellar Emperor; and more.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990902072142/www.kesmaistudios.com/company/

I still look back fondly on my time in the MPBT 3025 alpha. Though the killing of that project was more to do with MS being douchebags with the license and EA knowing it was niche enough that killing Kesmai wouldn't really matter.

88. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:17 entr0py

It makes you realize just how much better they could have made the game if it weren't for the online DRM focus. They could have let players use the terraforming tools, and avoided the least common denominator city size. It's not just that they're hurting players with draconian DRM, they're hurting themselves.

Shame this hack doesn't allow for genuine offline play, since you still have to go online to retrieve the city, and none of the inter-city stuff works. But it's proof that EA could release an offline patch, if they were ever willing to admit to their mistakes.

87. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:11 Baenwort

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:39:
This is not nearly the first time EA has decimated a studio they've bought out. Is origin around anymore? Bullfrog? Or any of the others?

Let's see if we can make a full list of studios that have they outright killed, and studios that are currently in the slow process of dying from the EA-touch.

Outright killed:

- Origin
- Westwood
- Bullfrog
- Mythic
- Lionhead (not sure if this one should be in the next category or not.)
- Pandemic

Slowly dying:

- Maxis
- Starbreeze
- Lionhead (just for completeness' sake. I have no idea if they're actually still around.)
- Bioware. (I'm on the fence on this one. DA2 was absolutely EA-ified, but ME3 was a very good game that just suffered from one dipshit writer who is way too much in love with himself. DA3 and ME4 will be the final nail in the coffin, or a slight reprieve from their inevitable death.)
- Popcap.

Creston

The one I'll always be pissed about is Kesmai.

Creators of: Multiplayer Battletech(Solaris, 3025, etc); AirWarrior(Amiga through 4); Islands/Legends of Kesmai; Stellar Emperor; and more.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990902072142/www.kesmaistudios.com/company/

86. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:08 Cutter

Mr Garrison: But teacher I don't want to do any homework. You can just suck my balls.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

85. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 14:50 RollinThundr

Cabezone wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 14:44:

Creston

You win the thread, I snorted coffee through the nose on that one.

84. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 14:44 Cabezone

Creston

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

83. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 14:33 RollinThundr

Creston

82. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 14:12 Quboid

Verno wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 13:48:
Quboid wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 13:37:
They should have explained the city-client region-server split better, people are now accusing them of lying over things they never said, but didn't clarify.

I'm sure somewhere along the way they either miscommunicated or lied about this but I don't feel like digging through every single interview to find the text. They've certainly done that about enough other things surrounding the game so far.

Quite possibly. Given the amount of interviews and suchlike they did, it wouldn't be unlikely for someone to have accidentally given this impression. However, I wouldn't put it passed EA not to at least want to give the impression that the city is partly server side, so they'd have a stronger case for keeping it online.

Verno wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 13:48:
The regional simulation is ironically the stuff no one wanted and while the game would be even more shallow without it, I think that's what a lot of people just want ripped out. It's shallow DRM/control crap that doesn't really add anything to the game. There's no real sense of overall accomplishment or even management through it.

The regional stuff is good. If you take the game as SimSeveralSmallTowns, it's actually a good game. The worker ratio is fine for less than 10K and the region system is good. That's just, like, my opinion man but I like it. It's a little clunky (should I really need to load a city that I'm also the mayor of to send garbage trucks and then reload the city I'm working on?) but it makes the simulated small towns work.

That's all well and good, but it's not supposed to be SimSeveralSmallTowns. I want cities, that means double the boundary length for 4 times the area. I want a simulation that can handle this. The present simulation can't handle anything bigger than 15K which is barely half map in mixed low/med density. Your little maps should handle 200K and with 4x the area, more like 1,000,000 (over 4x, because the big area will encourage disproportionally high density in the centre.

I don't mind that the simulation fudges things a little, I wouldn't assume anything else. There will be times when a slightly less accurate algorithm is much faster than the accurate one and it makes sense to take a short-cut. If 20 students are leaving the same apartment block, going to the same bus stop to the same school and back on the same bus to their home, why not handle them all as 1 agent? But that's not what's happening. The fudging is upsetting the balance and running deep into the simulation. In a small town, the facade is convincing but not after about 15K population. I wonder why the beta was limited to an hour?

Can they patch it to handle 1M sims? I very much doubt it. Can they patch it to handle 200K sims or even 100K? Maaaaybe. I think they will try to improve the balance because DLC sales will bomb if everyone's frustrated at their city.

- Quboid

161 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo