Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?

A new video on YouTube shows the work of UKAzzer, who has (apparently) intrepidly worked out how to play the new SimCity offline with some home hacking, in spite of EA's suggestions this would be a massive, if not impossible undertaking (thanks Videogamer). Here's word:

So with a little bit of package editing within SimCity, and a little playing about in the code, it's possible to enable debug mode. I linked the activation to the "Help Center" button in the main menu for ease. Most debug features are disabled without having an actual developer's build (they have terraforming tools etc. available in the full developer build!), but a few things do still work - including editing the main highways.

Not only that - but you can edit the highways ANYWHERE - even outside of your city boundary... and even if you quit the game and log back in later, it's all saved safely on the server.

This shows that highway editing will be easily possible, AND that editing outside of the artificially small city boundaries should be very viable too.

Other things I have modded out with a quick change: Unlimited time to remain disconnected (won't get booted at 20 minutes, can now be disconnected "forever"). Population count now shows REAL figure, not the "artificially inflated" figure. My large cities have a population of about 15k now, not 100k :P

View
161 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

141. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 04:41 Dev

NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 01:53:
Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:23:
I went ahead and got anno 2070.

BTW, the complete game pack isn't, it doesn't appear to give you the deluxe version of the game, and there's no deluxe upgrade pack like some games do (though it does have everything else, so if you dont care about the bits that the deluxe adds, getting the complete game pack should be fine)
Also the complete DLC pack isn't, it doesn't include deep ocean.

So, to get everything add 3 things to cart.
1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

Seems to include Deep Ocean now bro.
Screeny from my Steam

EDIT: Oh nm I see what you're saying the complete pack doesn't have deluxe.
Yeah the complete game pack does contain deep ocean, but the complete DLC pack doesn't. Which is necessary to get as one of the 3 items if you want everything since it doesn't include the deluxe version (as you saw).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

140. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 01:53 NKD

Dev wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:23:
NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:07:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 23:36:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:20:
Someone has probably mentioned this already, but Ubisoft is sticking ti EA with Anno 2070 on sale on Steam this weekend. Allthumbsup

EDIT: NKD stole my thunder!
And I stole it before he did. I also told how to get the complete anno 2070 (and no, the complete pack does NOT have it all)

Looks like it has it all to me. What is missing?
As I said way back in post 95
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:56:
Props to ubi, if they timed their Anno 2070 sale for now.
Just because of simcity being out, it has increased my desire to again play a city simulation. Despite that I have zero intention of playing this simcity catastrophe, and certainly wouldn't pay EA more than a couple bucks for it, and maybe not even then.
But I went ahead and got anno 2070.

BTW, the complete game pack isn't, it doesn't appear to give you the deluxe version of the game, and there's no deluxe upgrade pack like some games do (though it does have everything else, so if you dont care about the bits that the deluxe adds, getting the complete game pack should be fine)

1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

Seems to include Deep Ocean now bro.
Screeny from my Steam

EDIT: Oh nm I see what you're saying the complete pack doesn't have deluxe.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

139. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 00:23 Dev

NKD wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 00:07:
Someone has probably mentioned this already, but Ubisoft is sticking ti EA with Anno 2070 on sale on Steam this weekend. Allthumbsup

And I stole it before he did. I also told how to get the complete anno 2070 (and no, the complete pack does NOT have it all)

As I said way back in post 95
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:56:
Props to ubi, if they timed their Anno 2070 sale for now.
Just because of simcity being out, it has increased my desire to again play a city simulation. Despite that I have zero intention of playing this simcity catastrophe, and certainly wouldn't pay EA more than a couple bucks for it, and maybe not even then.
But I went ahead and got anno 2070.

1)Deluxe Anno 2070
2)Complete dlc pack
3)Deep Ocean dlc.
Total should be $36.67

138. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 00:19 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 16:03:
Lionhead shouldn't be outright killed - it was sold to Microsoft.

Starbreeze they do not and have not ever owned.

I couldn't remember about Lionhead. I debated about putting Starbreeze in there or not. EA doesn't own them, but Starbreeze works with EA and they immediately turn out an absolute fucking stinker of a game. Let's hope they're smart enough to quit while they're still marginally ahead.

EA hasn't actually killed anyone in a long while. Maxis is a brand name, so I wouldn't even call them slowly dying (when Will Wright left they died, exist in name only.) I believe it was actually shut down when Wright left.

So it really should be in the killed column, then.

BioWare? Not sure. Its brains left, too.

They're on life-support. I think Bioware will be surprised at how much fewer pre-orders they will have for their next games. They really pissed off their most dedicated fanbase with their last two games and subsequent arrogance. And those are the people that pre-order.

PopCap, to the best of my knowledge, is doing well.

50 people fired, studio in Dublin closed, and as far as I can tell no new games released in two years, and they're doing well...?

I think EA really learned its lesson with burning studios to the ground. And I think, for the most part, they show that by not buying studios rather than buying them and fostering them.
But we'll see over time.

Which studios have they "fostered" exactly?

Creston

137. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 00:13 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:49:
Well...

Whatever Steam's price for a true single player game, without having to sign up for origin, seem 1000 times better than $50+ for the shit they just released.

If there is a mod for the major bug fix, that makes it even more viable.

Since Cities XL doesn't seem to be an option for most people... I think Sim City 4 might be their ticket.

I just spent about six hours in Tropico 4. It's a lot of fun, and definitely satisfies my "build stuff" itch.
It did piss me off a ton when I saw a "Login to Kalypso media" screen the first time I started it, but fortunately if you just go offline the game bypasses that screen entirely. It's stupid that they left it in the Steam version, but at least there's a way around it.

And it'd be hillarious if somehow Sim City 4 suddenly outsold Sim City 2013. Mybe EA would get the message.

EA would just see that as "People love SimCity so much, they're buying SC4 as well!!!" They're that retarded.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2013, 00:26.

136. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 15, 2013, 00:07 NKD

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

135. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 23:36 Dev

134. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 22:05 gunnergoz

Well, I just called my credit card company to file a dispute and they are refunding my payment for SimCity with the comment made during the process that the operator has had a lot of similar calls and requests in the past few days. I don't care if Origin blocks my account - I don't have any other games from them, and I sure as heck am not interested in getting a freebie, soon to be orphaned game from their store. It is pathetic that a company can operate so long and be so indifferent to the quality of their service or to providing value for consumer dollar.  

133. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 21:42 deqer

Saboth wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 21:17:
you'll still need an Ubisoft account and Uplay login to be allowed to play Anno, even though you bought it through Steam?

Lame.

132. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 21:17 Saboth

I saw Anno 2070 on sale, as well as Tropico. Now, you'll still need an Ubisoft account and Uplay login to be allowed to play Anno, even though you bought it through Steam?  

131. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 20:48 JohnnyRotten

Wolfox wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 20:32:
JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:44:
So thumbs up or down on Anno 2070? Looks good, but hard to tell from screen shots. Solid sim?

Let me put it this way - it's the best city builder I've played since Zeus: Master of Olympus. I've played it for more than 50 hours by now, I'm still having tons of fun, and I haven't seen even half of the content. I strongly recommend it.

Sold!

130. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 20:32 Wolfox

JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:44:
So thumbs up or down on Anno 2070? Looks good, but hard to tell from screen shots. Solid sim?

Let me put it this way - it's the best city builder I've played since Zeus: Master of Olympus. I've played it for more than 50 hours by now, I'm still having tons of fun, and I haven't seen even half of the content. I strongly recommend it.

129. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 20:02 JohnnyRotten

Redmask wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:50:
Anyone hear word on a save game emulator? I would like to see legitimate customers have access to offline functionality so they can at least recoup something since EA lied about refunding their money.

I saw a post on RPS that I thought was pretty funny and pertinent to your question. Paraphrasing:

Create a VM with the game, play offline, and snapshot the VM while the game is running. Voila! Quick and easy local saves.

Horrible, but maybe possible. Wall2

128. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 19:50 Redmask

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 18:39:
waah wahh RT is a shill because he doesn't post the same hate filled rant 30 times on an EA thread! Do you realize how fucking retarded you sound?

So you have no real rebuttal or content to offer? Ok then. I vote with my wallet and everything else at my disposal, sorry that is a concept beyond your limited understanding. Your passive aggressive defense of EA in a thread where they are beyond defense is so painfully clumsy and obvious that it would evoke pity, if only you weren't so obnoxious about it.

Anyone hear word on a save game emulator? I would like to see legitimate customers have access to offline functionality so they can at least recoup something since EA lied about refunding their money.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 19:55.

127. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 19:44 JohnnyRotten

126. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 14, 2013, 19:43 JohnnyRotten

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 19:27:
EA Games: Built on decades of lies.

Flip that around and you got a great name for a band or a game - "Lies of Decades"

125. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 14, 2013, 19:27 HorrorScope

EA Games: Built on decades of lies.  

124. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 19:20 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

123. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 19:19 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:28:
It's funny, I had started Dishonored and have XCOM installed but not yet launched yet I ended up going back to RCT2 and have put like 10 hours into it since Friday.

You're in for a fun time with XCom. It's a blast. My 2 nits: 1. No base invasions (my favorite part of the original) 2. Wish the research tree was about 3x bigger than it is, so there were more choices. But these are minor. I spent about 45 hours on my first play through, and never had a dull moment.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

122. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 18:53 NKD

In other news, Anno 2070 is on sale on Steam. If you're going to play a building game with an online requirement, it might as well be a good one. (And more importantly, one that is on sale, and has been out for a while, so you don't encourage more online requirements.)  

161 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo