Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?

A new video on YouTube shows the work of UKAzzer, who has (apparently) intrepidly worked out how to play the new SimCity offline with some home hacking, in spite of EA's suggestions this would be a massive, if not impossible undertaking (thanks Videogamer). Here's word:

So with a little bit of package editing within SimCity, and a little playing about in the code, it's possible to enable debug mode. I linked the activation to the "Help Center" button in the main menu for ease. Most debug features are disabled without having an actual developer's build (they have terraforming tools etc. available in the full developer build!), but a few things do still work - including editing the main highways.

Not only that - but you can edit the highways ANYWHERE - even outside of your city boundary... and even if you quit the game and log back in later, it's all saved safely on the server.

This shows that highway editing will be easily possible, AND that editing outside of the artificially small city boundaries should be very viable too.

Other things I have modded out with a quick change: Unlimited time to remain disconnected (won't get booted at 20 minutes, can now be disconnected "forever"). Population count now shows REAL figure, not the "artificially inflated" figure. My large cities have a population of about 15k now, not 100k :P

View
161 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

61. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 12:21 SpectralMeat

Verno wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 12:03:
C&C4 barely felt like a game, it was such a low effort development that I thought they were purposely trying to kill off the franchise by phoning it in so to speak. EA is really bad at acquiring outside properties, their culture just seems to murder creativity.
Funny you've mentioned C&C4, it had the same online DRM as Simcity, and it had a similar justification to always be online as Simcity as well.
C&C3 was 3X better then C&C4 in every possible way.

Steam: SpectralMeat
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 12:18 Panickd

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 12:04:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:58:
Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:53:
Any others? I'm sure I'm missing at least half a dozen other studios that EA killed.

Creston
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

Really the only big one (for PC gamers anyway) that I forgot is PopCap. Sigh

Have they released anything new since being acquired? I don't think so? I'll add them to the "slowly smothered to death" list.

Creston

The got Pandemic as part of the deal when they bought Bioware and killed it right after they finished Saboteur (which was a very good game, btw).

59. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 12:04 Creston

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:58:
Any others? I'm sure I'm missing at least half a dozen other studios that EA killed.

Creston

Really the only big one (for PC gamers anyway) that I forgot is PopCap. Sigh

Have they released anything new since being acquired? I don't think so? I'll add them to the "slowly smothered to death" list.

Creston

58. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 12:03 Verno

C&C4 barely felt like a game, it was such a low effort development that I thought they were purposely trying to kill off the franchise by phoning it in so to speak. EA is really bad at acquiring outside properties, their culture just seems to murder creativity.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: Pioneer, Predestination, Homeland

57. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 12:02 RollinThundr

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:39:
This is not nearly the first time EA has decimated a studio they've bought out. Is origin around anymore? Bullfrog? Or any of the others?

Let's see if we can make a full list of studios that have they outright killed, and studios that are currently in the slow process of dying from the EA-touch.

Outright killed:

- Origin
- Westwood
- Bullfrog
- Mythic
- Lionhead (not sure if this one should be in the next category or not.)

Slowly dying:

- Maxis
- Starbreeze
- Lionhead (just for completeness' sake. I have no idea if they're actually still around.)
- Bioware. (I'm on the fence on this one. DA2 was absolutely EA-ified, but ME3 was a very good game that just suffered from one dipshit writer who is way too much in love with himself. DA3 and ME4 will be the final nail in the coffin, or a slight reprieve from their inevitable death.)

Creston

Mythic still exists just under the Bioware brand. Starbreeze is not owned by EA. And why for the love of god does no one hold Laidlaw or Gaider at all responsible for the fuck up that was DA2? The fan base warned them over and over that it wasn't what anyone wanted and they put out shit in a box anyway.

EA's closed plenty of studios that you could prolly just pick from that list rather than lumping in studios EA doesn't even own.

56. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:59 Creston

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:53:
CnC4 (&3) was a disgrace, and I think EA was well aware of it, but this is giving me hopes, as they are purposely trying to resurrect the franchise:

So a French guy (apparently) writes something that I THINK is some kind of hope that the next C&C is going to be good, some EA schlep says "OMG THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS!" (I can imagine it's rough being an EA community rep right now. Then again, if you take a job to shovel shit in people's mouths, you shouldn't be surprised if your hands start stinking) and that gives you hope that the franchise will be ressurected?

I will just agree to disagree with you.

Creston

55. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:58 Dev

Creston

54. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:57 ASeven

InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:40:
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/reviews/simcity-review/

Thereís no doubt about it; Maxisís latest SimCity is the most considered, most in-depth and most appealing SimCity game to date.

The first sentence of that review, yesterdays date on it. 8/10 final score...

Still better than that 100% Eurogamer Sweden review.

Holy shit, knowing what we know now, that the engine itself is broken to hell, you really start wondering if those idiots who reviewed the game weren't paid by EA, I mean it's the only logic reason I can think of for giving this a 100%. I don't want to think there are human beings so fucking stupid to the point of reviewing this for a 100% so I'll just settle with a bribe otherwise I'll be depressed as fuck.

53. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:53 Optional nickname

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:34:
Optional nickname wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:21:
I am however, still holding my breath, for the upcoming new online Command & Conquer, I think that will be a worthy multiplayer sequel to what was Gen Zero Hour, and frankly I couldn't care less about Single Player missions in that game, we know how EA would handle that one!

Why do you have hope for that? You realize that EA already released an online C&C, right?

It was called C&C4.

As you can tell, it was a GIANT success. 6.4 review score, even WITH the paid-for-reviews at the start. 2.1 user score.

Yet you somehow think the next one is going to be better? Confused

Creston

CnC4 (&3) was a disgrace, and I think EA was well aware of it, but this is giving me hopes, as they are purposely trying to resurrect the franchise:

Victory games wiki

Again, the proof will be in the pudding, when it is released, but ANYTHING can not be worse, than what was CNC 3&4 with EA having too much control over that one. Looking forward to new Frostbite 2 engine, as well, but CNC was never about the graphics anyway, it was the ultimate battlechess.

52. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:53 Creston

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:39:
This is not nearly the first time EA has decimated a studio they've bought out. Is origin around anymore? Bullfrog? Or any of the others?

Let's see if we can make a full list of studios that have they outright killed, and studios that are currently in the slow process of dying from the EA-touch.

Outright killed:

- Origin
- Westwood
- Bullfrog
- Mythic
- Lionhead (not sure if this one should be in the next category or not.)
- Pandemic

Slowly dying:

- Maxis
- Starbreeze
- Lionhead (just for completeness' sake. I have no idea if they're actually still around.)
- Bioware. (I'm on the fence on this one. DA2 was absolutely EA-ified, but ME3 was a very good game that just suffered from one dipshit writer who is way too much in love with himself. DA3 and ME4 will be the final nail in the coffin, or a slight reprieve from their inevitable death.)
- Popcap.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 13:44.

51. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:53 Dev

/ as a simoleon: leaves work, gets in car, and drives to first residential home, and barges in, wakes up old granny in bed, and I roll over to sleep.
Somedays I wouldn't mind hitting the sack in the first residence closest to my workplace either

50. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:50 El Pit

InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:40:

Thereís no doubt about it; Maxisís latest SimCity is the most considered, most in-depth and most appealing SimCity game to date.

Quick! Fetch some false beards and stones and off to the public stoning we go!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

49. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:40 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

48. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:39 Dev

Yakubs wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:09:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:04:
Yakubs wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:59:
When everyone is blasting EA for lying, let's not let Maxis off the hook here. They deserve just as much indignation for this mess of a game release and it pains me to see them potentially getting away from this without much damage to their reputation.
There is no difference between EA and Maxis. Its the same company. EA only kept the Maxis name for brand reasons.

That may be strictly true but I doubt they disintegrated legacy Maxis and replaced them with EA workers. This is mostly the original Maxis except now they're just a piece of another organization, no?
No, the original maxis has been long long long gone. Basically over 10 years of The Sims, maxis became EA. The founders of Maxis were Will Wright and Jeff Braun, they aren't at EA anymore.
Let me put it this way, do you think the original people who put out Simcity series and sim Ant and the others, would have stood for putting out this garbage?

This is not nearly the first time EA has decimated a studio they've bought out. Is origin around anymore? Bullfrog? Or any of the others? The only reason EA has even bothered to keep the separate Maxis name (unlike most others they bought out) is because The Sims became incredibly huge.

Not that long ago EA announced they were reducing their brand labels to 4:
EA GAMES LABEL
EA SPORTS LABEL
EA MAXIS LABEL
EA BIOWARE LABEL

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 11:49.

47. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:39 JoeNapalm

Conspiracy may be strong word, but they certainly knew what they were doing when they limited the previews to an hour.

Because after an hour, the wheels come off.

I don't believe for one second that they didn't know that it was broken when they put it in the box.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

46. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:34 Creston

I am however, still holding my breath, for the upcoming new online Command & Conquer, I think that will be a worthy multiplayer sequel to what was Gen Zero Hour, and frankly I couldn't care less about Single Player missions in that game, we know how EA would handle that one!

Why do you have hope for that? You realize that EA already released an online C&C, right?

It was called C&C4.

As you can tell, it was a GIANT success. 6.4 review score, even WITH the paid-for-reviews at the start. 2.1 user score.

Yet you somehow think the next one is going to be better? Confused

Creston

45. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:33 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:22:
There is no conspiracy. They put shit in a box, got some 'honest' early previews out and then let the money start pouring in...

They just dont give a fuck, because in their eyes gamers are sheep who never learn, who keep buying less for more and EA is congratulating itself Bender style: ANOTHER JOB WELL DONE! all the way to the bank...
Yepp. As he said. It's simply a business model.

Which does not work very well anymore, considering EAs trouble following the flop of Warfighter, where they had fire staff and freeze the marketing budget for a few months. But they cannot think of something else. Everyone who had different opinions left EA long ago. There are only clueless business MBAs left, led by a clueless CEO who wonders why the EA stock stays in the cellar.

44. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:32 RollinThundr

The bar has been set, for our age of dumbed down AAA sequel iterations, nothing new here, moving right along,

we need to stop fuming at EA, our voices are falling on deaf ears, I know very well how large corporate companies are run, with lawyers at the top that will stop at NOTHING to prevent a healthy cashflow to their owners. They will arrest their own family members, if it means preventing internal corruption to the company. I've seen all kinds of things, with these bean counters are at the top of the chain in command.

Simcity, and Diablo are dead, we need to get off our collective asses, and go program our own worthy software, get to kickstarter, and make games for gamers, once again, or rekindle the magic that we once had since the glory days of Commodore, or lets give new aspiring young players, that same feeling we once had, as EA and Activision are not going to be doing this for us anymore, not this generation.

MAKE our OWN games, STOP wasting our precious time playing THEIRS.

not even remotely interested in playing a free Simcity 2013 offline, it is broken beyond belief, and will see if they manage free overhaul to that game, in 2 months time.

/ as a simoleon: leaves work, gets in car, and drives to first residential home, and barges in, wakes up old granny in bed, and I roll over to sleep.

Speak for yourself, I always liked the campy Command and Conquer single player campaigns, and not getting a full blown Generals 2 actually really pissed me off.

43. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:32 Dev

Topevoli wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:40:
I can understand buying this game because the DRM doesn't scare you and you just want to play the damn thing.

I may have eventually bought this game when everything was ironed out, but if this is true, it's going too far. I refuse to support a company who blatantly lies.
This is FAR FAR from the first time EA has done that.

42. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 11:22 InBlack

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:10:
Tumbler wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:08:
Hopefully someone can put out a simple to install mod that just rips this game free of the online mode and lets people just have fun. Quadrupling the size of the city space would be nice too.

Except that it's so broken that quadrupling the size of the city would mean it all goes to @#$% 4x faster.

Look, folks - this isn't about their crappy launch issues. Now that we know how little the servers are really doing, I'm gonna grab my tinfoil tri-corner hat and declare that the launch issues were likely orchestrated.

What's that, you say? Orchestrated? PHSAW!

But wait! Once they started ironing out the launch issues it took all of, what, a day before everyone realized that there is NO FREAKING AI??

They got an extra week of sales from stupid people who heard that the initial hour or so of gameplay was fun (which it is) and that all the issues were just rocky MMO launch issues.

Instead, they released a completely fubar non-functional non-Sim non-City non-game, and everyone's focused on their DRM. Yeah, the DRM sucks, their launch sucks, but let's not lose sight of the fact that the GAME sucks after the initial hour or two.

I hired a gypsy to curse my friend that coerced me into pre-ordering, installing Origin, and bringing shame upon the House of Napalm.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

There is no conspiracy. They put shit in a box, got some 'honest' early previews out and then let the money start pouring in...

They just dont give a fuck, because in their eyes gamers are sheep who never learn, who keep buying less for more and EA is congratulating itself Bender style: ANOTHER JOB WELL DONE! all the way to the bank...

I have a nifty blue line!

161 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo