Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Thief's New Garrett Profiled

A feature on GameInformer offers a look at how Garrett is being redesigned for the upcoming revival of the Thief series, showing how Eidos Montréal is re-envisioning the game's protagonist, while being sensitive to fans who may not appreciate too drastic an overhaul. They have a video showing old and new Garrett artwork that features Nicolas Cantin and Steven Gallagher discusses their efforts, drawing comparisons with their work on the Altair character from the Assassins' Creed series.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 15:19 Ratty

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 15:06:
Ok, I give them the benefit of the doubt - and so should all of you - after Ass Creed and DXHR. However, I agree, that video did nothing to reassure me. In fact, it set my teeth on edge. The designer being both too young - and french - clearly doesn't seem to get why people love Garret and Thief. Whatever changes Batman has been through at his core he's still the Batman. You don't need to reinvent him and you don't need to reinvent Garret. So, in short, this game has gone from top of my list to a now reserved status. Le sigh.
I feel like a father who finds out his kids love the newer Star Wars episodes more than the original trilogy. Then is horrified to realize all their friends agree. More action, better special effects - and more Jar Jar! Just like I feel every time I read a young gamer who says Thief Deadly Shadows was better than the originals and Deus Ex Human Revolution was way better than the first one on account of how ugly it was. It's a losing battle, man. Just step back and cherish your memories.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 15:06 Cutter

Ok, I give them the benefit of the doubt - and so should all of you - after Ass Creed and DXHR. However, I agree, that video did nothing to reassure me. In fact, it set my teeth on edge. The designer being both too young - and french - clearly doesn't seem to get why people love Garret and Thief. Whatever changes Batman has been through at his core he's still the Batman. You don't need to reinvent him and you don't need to reinvent Garret. So, in short, this game has gone from top of my list to a now reserved status. Le sigh.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. matthew@welchkin.net Mar 14, 2013, 14:27 Watter

Oh man... That video interview was extremely disheartening to any Thief fan. "More action", "Modern Audiences", "Console Oriented"... I can't imagine a worse way to describe my idea of a "Thief" game. I'll hold out hope until the final product, but if it's going to be so different, I really wish they would just call it something else. Who are they hoping to target by tying it to the original franchise? People who liked the original series will just bitch and moan (as I'm doing here) because it doesn't capture any of what's great about the originals and people who didn't play the original aren't going to be somehow more likely to play it because of the tie in. Why do it, then?  

11. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 13:54 KS

I loved this game and played it on hard -- you couldn't kill anyone, so you had to sneak well, and knock people out. If they suspected things you might be able to get away hiding, but if they saw you, game over because the only way out was one of you dying.

I found the velociraptor crap irritating. I don't want fights, even in hard mode. There are well over 465,273 other games for that, kthxbie.

10. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 13:10 Scottish Martial Arts

Well this is a major "what the fuck?".

Eyeshadow? Facemask? Skinny? Garrett wasn't a fearless, hulking he-man by any stretch, but an effeminate, goth-ninja is not the first thing I think of. I mean putting aside whether or not it fits the character, the artwork simply looks stupid and tasteless. I guess the game itself could still be fun, but this is not an encouraging sign for those who loved both the gameplay of Thief (which is matchless to this day) AND the world of Thief (which most definitely did not feature a generic, brooding, console game protagonist).

9. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 12:47 Verno

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:
Look at it as Thief 4 and you're going to be disappointed.

(Personally, I'd rather have had Thief 4, as the slow, methodical gameplay is absent in today's market, but if it is completely unmarketable, they might as well use the franchise.)

I don't think it's unmarketable, it's more that every publisher is chasing COD sales figures.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

8. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 12:40 yuastnav

Blackhawk wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:44:
[...]
You sound like my nine year old being offered a new food he's never tried. There's no way to know if it is going to suck. It may be a great game.
[...]

If your nine year old turned out to be like that after years of being offered new variations of his most beloved dishes which then turn out to be complete rubbish then this analogy would be a little bit closer to the truth.

7. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 12:25 Techie714 ©

This game is being made for & designed for the consoles...PERIOD!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 11:44 Blackhawk

Ratty wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 11:28:
At this point I just wish they'd let Thief die a dignified death. Whatever they come up with is gonna suck.

You sound like my nine year old being offered a new food he's never tried. There's no way to know if it is going to suck. It may be a great game.

It will not, however, be a continuation of the original Thief series. It is a reboot. Look at it that way and it may turn out to be a decent game. Look at it as Thief 4 and you're going to be disappointed.

(Personally, I'd rather have had Thief 4, as the slow, methodical gameplay is absent in today's market, but if it is completely unmarketable, they might as well use the franchise.)

5. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 11:28 Ratty

At this point I just wish they'd let Thief die a dignified death. Whatever they come up with is gonna suck.  

4. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 10:49 hello newman

He COULD look like a yeti sure, but please then keep the game in first person

hey, and where's the mechanical eye !?

3. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 10:42 Creston

So Garrett is a ninja now, apparently? The only thing missing on that first pic is the caption "I smolder with generic rage."

Then again, eh, it's a character design. Garrett could look like a Hobbit-Yeti (Multiclass!) for all I care, as long as the game design is good.

Creston

2. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 10:26 hello newman

Indeed. I also fear it's turning into assassins creed
Maker save us.

1. Re: New Thief's New Garrett Profiled Mar 14, 2013, 09:54 Qbex .

"...more action oriented..." and "...console generation..." those two snippets from that video make me sad but not really surprised. I still hope for proper homage to t1 and t2 but deep down fully expect Assassin Creed 3.5 instead  

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo