Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SimCity Status Report

A new update on SimCity from Barrie Tingle has word from the Maxis Live Operations Producer on the latest efforts at urban renewal for the management sequel:

Hello again, Mayors! Live Operations Producer Barrie Tingle here with another SimCity update. Quite a few things happened yesterday. Let’s go over each one:

1. Server Upgrades: We’ve completed the migration of all our original servers to the new, faster/higher capacity server architecture. We’ll continue to provide ongoing optimizations for our servers.
  2. Server Status Page: Want to check the status of one of our servers? Now you can – the team created a server status page that lives on SimCity.com. You can view it here: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/server-status
  3. Patch 1.5: We’ve deployed a new patch yesterday to address some trade intermittency issues, which should make regional interaction more responsive. We’re going to continue to improve the speed between cities within a region. It should also decrease the chance of losing progress on your city via a rollback. You can view the full patch notes here.

That’s it. We’re continuing to optimize and improve the experience and will keep you informed of our future improvements.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 13:51 eRe4s3r

Kajetan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 05:14:
JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 04:11:
TLDR: It's not a sim, and you can't build cities. This cannot be patched.
This release reminds me of "Gothic 3". Which was not only full of bugs and clearly not ready for release, but after all those official and unofficial fan patches it became clear that this game was broken by design which could only be fixed by making a new game.

Gothic 3 broke Jowoods back as a publisher and it nearly killed the developer. Lets see what happens to EA and its subdivision Maxis.

Yeah but the Publishers attempt at reclaiming Gothic 2 fame as well as the developers attempt failed epicly, so I would say there are always 2 parties to a dance, Publisher is only 1 half

Meaning of course, Maxis is to blame. EA wants to earn money, they never intentionally would make crap games. The one who made this crap game, is Maxis. The one who wants to sell it is EA.. in a sense, I think Maxis is dead after this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 12:56 MindStalker3

Essentially they were promising dwarf fortress level simulation with high end graphics.

//Note most modern machines can barely run drawn fortress when you get lots of actors, and it doesn't have a UI.

38. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 11:52 ASeven

Say it ain't so!!11!!

http://youtu.be/IECDGp_lHTU?t=8s

37. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 11:28 Creston

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:16:
FOR ALL SIMS
1. GOTO HOUSE
2. IF HOUSECAPACITY = FULL
THEN HOUSE = HOUSE + 1
3. GOTO 1

LOL. That's some spiffy code there.

Creston

36. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 11:10 yonder

I'm just here to giggle at the name Barrie Tingle.

Carry on.

35. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 11:03 JohnnyRotten

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:16:
This is the entirety of their "AI" in pseudocode:

FOR ALL SIMS
1. GOTO HOUSE
THEN HOUSE = HOUSE + 1
3. GOTO 1

Reading around, it seems it may be just that dumb. And not just for house - job, shopping, transportation routes, power, water, etc.

I've read claims about people saying that most if not all of the agents share the same base code when it comes to expressing destination behavior.

34. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 10:57 JohnnyRotten

Panickd wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 21:23:
Since the game is inherently broken and does not do any of the granular simulation they said it did who really cares if they get their shit together server-wise? I was an ardent defender of this game and their decision to do it all online but this game has just turned out to be crap on crap with more crap on the side.

What would you like for dessert sir?

33. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 09:26 Beamer

it's just a huge mob of if-then-else that rapidly breaks down with size. THIS is why it is such a small map.
I said previously that this it reminds me of games I coded when I was 18 and trying hard to do AI.

Intricate, nested if-then-elses.

Awesome.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 09:16 JoeNapalm

Kajetan wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:58:
Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:39:
So, in these tiny cities... it really only simulates about 10% of the population and the rest aren't?
It does say "SIM City" on the box, doesn't it? You can't critizise a simulation for simulating stuff

Except that it's not even simulating that 10%.

They just form a huge conga line as they try to cram that 10% all into the same trailer home.

This is the entirety of their "AI" in pseudocode:

FOR ALL SIMS
1. GOTO HOUSE
THEN HOUSE = HOUSE + 1
3. GOTO 1

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

31. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 09:00 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 08:42:
Aaaaand it can be run totally offline.

No no no! you all are supposed to be like retarded consolites and take what EA feeds you! They are in control! You can't be Hacking code! Your supposed to use a Gamepad, not a Keyboard that can type in those nasty hacks easily, you dirty Pirates! No wonder they don't want to make anything for the PC!

30. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 08:42 ASeven

Aaaaand it can be run totally offline.  

29. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 06:58 Kajetan

Dev wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 06:39:
So, in these tiny cities... it really only simulates about 10% of the population and the rest aren't?
It does say "SIM City" on the box, doesn't it? You can't critizise a simulation for simulating stuff

28. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 06:39 Dev

BWAHAHAAHAHAAHAAH.

27. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 06:08 Kajetan

wonkawonka wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 05:14:
It gets better:
Thank you!

The only thing worthwile in Sim Shitty right now is the data visualization. Excellent work! Worthwile enough to download the game once a crack for the startup activation is available.

26. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 05:14 wonkawonka

It gets better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmce9oIxJag

And I quote:
Unlimited time to remain disconnected (won't get booted at 20 minutes, can now be disconnected "forever"). Population count now shows REAL figure, not the "artificially inflated" figure. My large cities have a population of about 15k now, not 100k

EDIT:
And here's a great reddit.

The best part is:
simcity.GetFudgedPopulation() = function

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2013, 05:24.

25. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 05:14 Kajetan

This release reminds me of "Gothic 3". Which was not only full of bugs and clearly not ready for release, but after all those official and unofficial fan patches it became clear that this game was broken by design which could only be fixed by making a new game.

Gothic 3 broke Jowoods back as a publisher and it nearly killed the developer. Lets see what happens to EA and its subdivision Maxis.

24. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 04:11 JoeNapalm

entr0py wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:58:
As much as the launch was a failure they could still make this into a passable game once they fix all the server issues and disabled features and of course reduce the price by half.

Have you not read wonawonka's comments?

He's right. The game is inherently broken. It doesn't t actually simulate anything, it's just a huge mob of if-then-else that rapidly breaks down with size. THIS is why it is such a small map.

Nine Lords of Night, the best thing to do is just build nothing but residential. That works freaking great. If you try to build a working city it just breaks down, unless you resort to ridiculous tricks like having no intersections at all, just lots of places to u-turn.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 02:53 Prez

It's simply astounding that you can't even save a city to your own PC...

There is simply NO WAY to do that - this game was built from the ground up to be ONLINE!! How in the world could they just make it so the game saves are on the client machine? Do you have ANY idea how much work it would take to build a feature like that?!?!?!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 02:50 eRe4s3r

Yes, all disabled features are still disabled... but even with them enabled the game is a trainwreck.  

21. Re: SimCity Status Report Mar 14, 2013, 01:43 Dev

And yet... they still have a bunch of features disabled?  

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo