Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Q&As

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 20:13 Redmask

Alamar wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:40:
Can you really blame someone for calling out on a sensationalist headline? : )

Also, I read the whole thing, and I don't think that bold statement is backed up very well... He would probably fit in really well at Blues, where jaded elderly curmudgeons is where it's at : )

What were your specific problems with it? I thought he backed everything up contextually and the quote is meant to be taken in context, not by itself as a statement against Call of Duty.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 13:01 MajorD

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:50:
Kobalt wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:34:
Translation: someone more sucessful then us made a game we dont like so we are going to cry about it.
If this is what you got out of this interview then you've proved his point.

My thoughts exactly!

18. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 10:40 Alamar

Redmask wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:53:
Translation: someone more sucessful then us made a game we dont like so we are going to cry about it.

Did you even read the interview or just comment snipe the headline? His points are well founded and he's not really digging on Call of Duty itself so much as he's talking about how players want everything to be like it since its made everything effortless.

Can you really blame someone for calling out on a sensationalist headline? : )

Also, I read the whole thing, and I don't think that bold statement is backed up very well... He would probably fit in really well at Blues, where jaded elderly curmudgeons is where it's at : )

In the interests of full disclosure, I might feel the same way if I tried CoD(, or Battlefield, or any of the newer shooters that might be relevant to the argument), as I'm proud of my elite UT/etc skills. : )

Excessive-UT FTW!

-Alamar

17. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 06:15 InBlack

What does he mean "almost"???  

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 03:26 Kobalt

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:37:

Clearly you never played Quake, UT, CS, et al.

Clearly your mind cannot process different opinions and can only jump to ridiculous conclusions.

15. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 01:51 ^Drag0n^

SV_AIM 0

Anything else is for children.

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

14. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 01:30 eRe4s3r

Yeah, RO2 is not bad because of COD; it's bad because the Unreal engine needs to be modified massively for it to become smooth and not clunky. Clunky physics, clunky feel of movement and terrible feel to shooting.

Sadly, these are Unreal Engine issues but I feel like the dev there has not gotten the real problem. BF3 isn't exactly realistic most of the time, but it *feels* great. When a shooter doesn't feel great, then it's usually ARMA related or Unreal Engine related....

And I don't mean gameplay I mean the feel of movement, of momentum, of physics, of "immersion".

13. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 01:19 Jerykk

One could argue that Halo helped ruin the genre too. It was the killer app for the Xbox and proved that shooters could be more successful on consoles than on PC, which led to consoles becoming the lead platform for subsequent shooters (including CoD). It also popularized regenerating health and two-weapon limits, two of the worst modern gaming trends ever. CoD just took it a step further and added straight up auto aim when entering ADS. They also popularized the stupid leveling systems and unlockables that now plague multiplayer shooters.

There are signs of hope, however. Although plenty of shooters still use regenerating health, a growing number of them are starting to compromise and offer only partially regenerating health. Also, more shooters are allowing you to carry more than two weapons at a time. Unfortunately, leveling and unlockables in multiplayer show no sign of disappearing anytime soon.

12. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:59 Paranoid Jack

Cutter wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 00:37:

I loved the oldies too. But my real love was for the Tom Clancy games. Where movement speed was slower and one bullet kills. You didn't need to shoot three rockets into the target to take it down. Though again I liked those early days of Quake. Hell, I would even put the first CoD multi-player in that category. It had slower more realistic movement.

You know what else ruined shooters? Letting people use third person instead of forcing them into first person at all times. When they started down that road they really lost me. I hated seeing people stick to a wall and watch a choke point from around the corner and then stick their gun out and shoot you from safe cover as you enter the hallway.

11. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:46 Paranoid Jack

born2expire wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:30:
Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 23:14:

All his points are valid. I agree with pretty much everything he said. The CoD games are fun to play but they are shallow. And as you get older you get to the bottom of that shallow a lot faster then when you were younger and just needed the adrenaline rush. CoD is the modern day Unreal Tournament.

i disagree, UT still took skill to kill, not full of claymores, auto turrets, bomber runs, ie anything that gives you kills without actually having to play the game, the randomness he talked about.

The reason it reminds me of UT is because of the overly fast movement speeds and UT had some of the craziest power-ups. Turning players into a speeding blur was one of them. So like the perks from CoD which give the top players even more kills where they can call down almost certain death from above.

All these games are/were fun. I won't argue they're not. I've even bought a couple of the CoD games for the multi-player. And I got my moneys worth for the most part. Did I log two or three hundred hours playing them? Not even combined. Because they give me that quick fix and then wear off just as fast. Which means I am ready to move on that much quicker than I would be with a game that has more depth.

And as far as ruining a generation of gamers? I think he's partially right that they want every game to play or feel like CoD but the other part is they just want instant gratification. Nobody wants to work for anything these days. They want to buy a new game and instantly have that familiar feeling that every CoD game has had for the past five years or more. They hate a learning curve.

10. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:40 PropheT

All his points are valid. I agree with pretty much everything he said. The CoD games are fun to play but they are shallow. And as you get older you get to the bottom of that shallow a lot faster then when you were younger and just needed the adrenaline rush. CoD is the modern day Unreal Tournament.

Yup. I really don't even play shooters online anymore, due in large part to everything being like CoD and the randomness removing the skill gap like he says.

I do actually still like UT, however, since it's probably the closest thing to Quake's MP since... Quake, I guess. I don't think I've really enjoyed online multiplayer shooters since Quake 1 and TF 1, though, so maybe that makes me odd in itself.

9. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 14, 2013, 00:37 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 23:30 born2expire

i disagree, UT still took skill to kill, not full of claymores, auto turrets, bomber runs, ie anything that gives you kills without actually having to play the game, the randomness he talked about.

7. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 23:14 Paranoid Jack

6. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 23:10 Wowbagger_TIP

Redmask wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 22:53:

Did you even read the interview or just comment snipe the headline? His points are well founded and he's not really digging on Call of Duty itself so much as he's talking about how players want everything to be like it since its made everything effortless.

But Call of Doody lets me eat cake for breakfast if I want!!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

5. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 22:53 Redmask

4. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 22:50 SpectralMeat

If this is what you got out of this interview then you've proved his point.

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 22:34 Kobalt

2. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 22:18 born2expire

I agree with john about 90% of the way, but RO2's biggest problem is the Unreal engine, its just not suited for a infantry based shooter, RO2 is so damn clunky, like Arma level of clunkyness.  

1. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 13, 2013, 21:40 jdreyer

Well, yeah. I suppose it's stating the obvious, but I'm glad he said it.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo