Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 13:51 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:42:
*looks down. Just shakes head.*

Anyway, that Netflix article is pretty interesting. It makes sense for Netflix to leverage that incredible amount of data they have, and I'm not sure why it's a cause for concern. If Netflix believes in its data strongly enough to commit $100 million on two seasons of a new show before it's even shown a single episode, that's something that we, as viewers, should applaud.

I think it's promising that someone is finally using actual data of people watching, rather than the 50-years-out-of-date fucking Nielsen ratings, to determine what's interesting to people and what isn't.

/wish I could watch Netflix.

Creston

Basically what Creston said. I must be the target demographic, b/c I appreciate Spacey as an actor, like most of the Fincher movies I've seen (I think he did the best he could with that Aliens 3 script), and like political dramas. Haven't watched HoC yet, but it's on my too watch list once work calms down a bit. Looking forward to it.

There is a concern that using big data could result in lowest common denominator programming, but it sounds like Netflix is using this to go after specific niches it thinks will be popular. I don't expect Netflix to be competing with Jersey Shore or Honey Boo Boo anytime soon. If they mimic HBO in their show creation, I'd be all for that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 13:50 Cutter

Hyperbole much? Puppets? Really? It's not Netflix's problem if you have no willpower.

And Islam should never provoke laughter. It's not funny and needs to be eliminated by any means necessary.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 13:45 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:47:
I can't say I agree with Netflix' decision to launch House of Cards all at once (again, it comes down to time, plus part of the fun of a TV show is discussing it the next day. Knowing that, by the time I get to watch HoC, it's old news and no one wants to discuss is a bit sad. I see good and bad to the decision), I can say that guaranteeding a full season (did they really say 2?) is something I wholly applaud.

Yeah, they've created two seasons and will show them marathon style. Apparently their data indicates that most people watch shows that way. (I do too, to be honest, though I watch it several episodes per night.)

Creston

Any show I've watched on Netflix I've done marathon style, but I will always enjoy them less than had I watched them on a slower burn on TV. For instance, I didn't watch Firefly until 2010. Yeah, I watched the entire series in about 3 days, but then I had no one to talk to about it. Everyone had seen it 3 times and talked about it to death by that point, and it was just an old wound.

Whereas with a show like Lost, which would probably come across as somewhat silly watching it in a marathon (essentially in a vacuum) was pretty damn entertaining to talk about on messageboards in the 6 days between episodes.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 12:52 Axis

#1. Cable is shit. All shows, even on demand ones = bazillions of commercials feeding the true puppetmasters while they bombard their puppets with worthless shit.

#2. Netflix is not shit. Pick what you want when you want without commercials.

Having had both for years, I've come to despise cable. I value my time, many don't.

Yours truly,

Axis

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 12:02 Creston

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:47:
I can't say I agree with Netflix' decision to launch House of Cards all at once (again, it comes down to time, plus part of the fun of a TV show is discussing it the next day. Knowing that, by the time I get to watch HoC, it's old news and no one wants to discuss is a bit sad. I see good and bad to the decision), I can say that guaranteeding a full season (did they really say 2?) is something I wholly applaud.

Yeah, they've created two seasons and will show them marathon style. Apparently their data indicates that most people watch shows that way. (I do too, to be honest, though I watch it several episodes per night.)

Creston

8. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 11:59 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:19:
Can we ban a user for claiming Al Qaeda is a fictional creation?

Also, I mean ban from life, or at least breeding. Not just ban from this site, but I'd be ok with that.

It's not a fictional creation but most western media uses it as a meaningless umbrella phrase for Islamist militants or terrorists as if they're all one organised group.

- Quboid

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 11:47 Beamer

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:42:

Anyway, that Netflix article is pretty interesting. It makes sense for Netflix to leverage that incredible amount of data they have, and I'm not sure why it's a cause for concern. If Netflix believes in its data strongly enough to commit $100 million on two seasons of a new show before it's even shown a single episode, that's something that we, as viewers, should applaud.

How often have you started watching a show on network television, gotten really hooked, and then had to sit there and watch as the fuckers at BIG NETWORK yanked it after five episodes, because Oh Dear God The Teens Aren't Watching It!

This way, you know that if you watch House of Cards, you get two full seasons at minimum. I would gladly sign up for more of that kind of surety.

As for whether it turns people into puppets or not, well, I guess if you're the kind to just blindly go along with what Netflix tells you to do, sure. That doesn't mean that Netflix has turned you into a puppet, however. It just means you ARE one.

I think it's promising that someone is finally using actual data of people watching, rather than the 50-years-out-of-date fucking Nielsen ratings, to determine what's interesting to people and what isn't.

Creston

Didn't read the article, but I've said 1000 times that I refuse to watch new TV dramas because they'll almost definitely get yanked. I'll instead wait until they get a second season, but often by then I don't have time to catch up so, ultimately, I just don't watch.

I don't even subscribe to Netflix anymore (Amazon won me over by having almost identical content but essentially free for me), but their content model is enough to make me consider going back.

-------------

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 11:42 Creston

How often have you started watching a show on network television, gotten really hooked, and then had to sit there and watch as the fuckers at BIG NETWORK yanked it after five episodes, because Oh Dear God The Teens Aren't Watching It!

This way, you know that if you watch House of Cards, you get two full seasons at minimum. I would gladly sign up for more of that kind of surety.

As for whether it turns people into puppets or not, well, I guess if you're the kind to just blindly go along with what Netflix tells you to do, sure. That doesn't mean that Netflix has turned you into a puppet, however. It just means you ARE one.

Creston

5. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 11:19 Beamer

Can we ban a user for claiming Al Qaeda is a fictional creation?

Also, I mean ban from life, or at least breeding. Not just ban from this site, but I'd be ok with that.

-------------

4. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 11:10 Bard

Bard wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 10:55:
Bard wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 10:54:
Since the group is a fictional creation - a modern day Emmanuel Goldstein - i'd expect the game was made in Tel Aviv.

HA! MEMRI! the propaganda service run by an Israeli ex-colonel. Yep - more propaganda!

.. and it gets better. The game is hosted on MEMRI's servers.

Yeah, this is Al Qaeda work. UHUH.

3. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 10:55 Bard

Bard wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 10:54:
Since the group is a fictional creation - a modern day Emmanuel Goldstein - i'd expect the game was made in Tel Aviv.

HA! MEMRI! the propaganda service run by an Israeli ex-colonel. Yep - more propaganda!

2. Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 10:54 Bard

1. Re: BitTorrent Live: streaming video Mar 13, 2013, 10:22 Bill Borre

lol. "No one else is watching. Sorry for your crappy experience."  

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo