Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

33. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:26 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 17:07:
WTH? Why was my comment removed? It's a valid point that most people in society agree with today, plenty of academics too. Guys like Dawkins have called Islam barbaric and it is. There's plenty of proof on that count.

No, he didn't say that.

"Some people (perhaps 1st language not English) think I was calling ALL Muslims barbarians. No. I was calling Islamic BARBARIANS barbarians," wrote the founder of The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science.

Every religion has its barbarians, even atheism (Dawkins tends to skirt the line between being one of them.)

Islam is really no different. What is different is that it tends to be common in areas with a much lower literacy rate and no government separation. It becomes a tool to sway the masses. But if you remove Islam those looking for power would find an equally useful crutch.

Again, the problem is not Islam. It's weird that some think it is. Islam, like Christianity, has many different branches, many of which have never inspired violence.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:07 Cutter

WTH? Why was my comment removed? It's a valid point that most people in society agree with today, plenty of academics too. Guys like Dawkins have called Islam barbaric and it is. There's plenty of proof on that count.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

31. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:07 Beamer

I'm pretty strongly of the belief that the problem isn't Islam. Islam is a tool being used, not the cause. Not to be all "excuse my ignorant statement because I have friends..." but I do have many Muslim friends. Different forms of Muslim, too.

It can be a beautiful religion, or it can be distorted as a violent, hateful tool.
You know, like Christianity.

But you have to be some kind of idiot to not realize it was the tool used to cause 9/11. Much like you have to be some kind of idiot to think WTC7 was brought down by explosives.

Basically, you have to be some kind of idiot to believe all the conspiracy theories. Like, a major idiot. The kind of idiot that thinks citing Plato's Cave is meaningful.
We're talking, like, an IQ below 75.

Regardless, Islam can be a fine thing. Christianity can be a fine thing. That they're often distorted by power-hungry people looking to control the weaker-minded and less educated masses isn't the fault of the religion. I mean, it isn't the fault of the internet that Bard has been completely manipulated for being weak minded and less educated (incidentally, the ones manipulating him have also told him to believe that their manipulation makes him less weak minded and more educated. Ah, conspiracy theorists...)

-------------

30. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:01 mag

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:24:
mag wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:07:
If Netflix were one millionth as capable as that article says, it would be able to recommend a show to me I'd actually enjoy. Its recommendation algorithm is absolutely terrible and has an abysmal success rate for me.

Just out of curiosity, what's your alternative? I pretty much ignore the rec engine, and just search for what I want to watch, although on occasion something decent comes up. But yeah, I agree. I watched the first two seasons of Archer last year, but when the new epis were available, it didn't alert me. Also, between stuff I watch and the kids watch, the rec list can give some strange results. Thus I ignore it and just search for what I want.

I use Amazon Instant when something interesting gets added, since I already pay for Prime, and otherwise I just borrow things from the library or find other ways.

Also, to Creston's
Yeah, but you're just grumpy.

Yes. Yes I am.

But, not as grumpy as Cutter!

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 17:14.

29. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 17:00 mag

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:13:
If Netflix were one millionth as capable as that article says, it would be able to recommend a show to me I'd actually enjoy. Its recommendation algorithm is absolutely terrible and has an abysmal success rate for me.

It improves as you watch stuff I've found. My initial recommendations after the questionnaire weren't good but as I picked out and watched things they've improved significantly. You can also just ignore the recommendations and use Instant Queue or instantwatcher.com, assuming the interface is available in your country. Most of the time we just watch stuff from the queue, I only browse when we're in the mood for something new.

I had Netflix for years. I watched and rated tons of things, almost all of which I had to search for myself. I realized a while ago that I reached the point where I was mostly just using it to watch things I had already seen, so I used their change of ToS (binding arbitration clause) as an excuse to dump it.

28. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 16:59 jdreyer

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:57:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:10:
That being said, the number of non-religious people as a percent of the population continues to grow, so it will be interesting to watch how that plays out over the next several decades.

You'll be disappointed. What most people don't realize is that science is just another religion. Ancient mysticism and religions as a whole were basically a way to estimate and explain how and why things occurred, much as science does today. In fact, science's main goal in the modern world is simply to get more accurate, like the move from classical to quantum physics. The relative rapidity of progress tends to distort our long view.

There are a lot of differences between science and religion. First, they aren't in competition. Science is not a replacement for religion (although Atheism can be). And while both try to explain natural phenomena (for different reasons), science does so using observation and reproducible empirical results. There is no faith in science, like there is in religion. Theories are proven based on evidence, but subject to being overturned on the basis of new, stronger evidence. Religion is the exact opposite of that. Note that I am not saying one is superior to another, just that they are very different things and not really comparable.

My original point was that it's interesting to watch the intersection of two trends: our growing understanding of why humans trend towards religion, and the growing trend away from religion by younger populations.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 16:07 Draugr

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:14:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:53:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:50:
Hyperbole much? Puppets? Really? It's not Netflix's problem if you have no willpower.

And Islam should never provoke laughter. It's not funny and needs to be eliminated by any means necessary.

What are your problems with Islam? I'm genuinely curious, I have several myself but I usually don't talk about it much since religious discussions are rarely fruitful.

Oh all the same reasons anyone else has with it. Really, I find except for maybe some ultra-hardcore lefties everyone has a problem a with Islam and rightfully so. It's a dangerous, backward, stone-aged cult that represents all kinds of threats on all kinds of levels. I don't care for the fundies either but at lest they're mostly harmless and more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Islam is just plain dangerous and much of its current success is entirely the fault of the Western world. We have to really work to reverse that trend because the extremism is only going to increase as things get worse.

I agree with you, but only to the extent that this can apply to all religions, they just 'take turns,' essentially. It might take decades for the roles to reverse as it has in the past, but ultimately they are all guilty of it. it taking place in my lifetime doesn't make it any more of a threat than others (at least big picture, obviously there can be immediate concerns, heh.) In fact, We don't need to wait, organizations like the IRA already exist (and the IRA was active for quite sometime.)
We could eliminate Islam all together, that won't mean 100 years from now we won't have to deal with the threat of Christian Extremists (or scientologist or hindu - whatever!)

I just think if we're going to demand that religions be eliminated for their capacity for evil and extremism, then we'll just need to take them all out back and put a bullet in their heads.

26. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 16:05 Draugr

Bard wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:48:
Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:14:
Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:53:
Hyperbole much? Puppets? Really? It's not Netflix's problem if you have no willpower.

And Islam should never provoke laughter. It's not funny and needs to be eliminated by any means necessary.

What are your problems with Islam? I'm genuinely curious, I have several myself but I usually don't talk about it much since religious discussions are rarely fruitful.

Oh all the same reasons anyone else has with it. Really, I find except for maybe some ultra-hardcore lefties everyone has a problem a with Islam and rightfully so. It's a dangerous, backward, stone-aged cult that represents all kinds of threats on all kinds of levels. I don't care for the fundies either but at lest they're mostly harmless and more of a pain in the ass than anything else. Islam is just plain dangerous and much of its current success is entirely the fault of the Western world. We have to really work to reverse that trend because the extremism is only going to increase as things get worse.

Wow, what brainwashed stupidity. But that's OK, you're fed nothing but misinformation so it's not really your fault your opinions are based upon roughly 60 years of nonstop Muslim-hate propaganda by the 6 families that own almost all of the western worlds media

I guess you think Muslims did 9/11 too, and conjured a Djinn to take down WTC7.

*shakes head* sad. But I understand. You don't know better. It's easier not to know because you can baaa along with the crowd and not stand out

It's cool, we don't need any more reasons to not take you seriously.

25. removed Mar 13, 2013, 15:48 Bard

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 13, 2013, 16:14.

24. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 15:48 Beamer

Bard wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 15:42:
Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:19:
Can we ban a user for claiming Al Qaeda is a fictional creation?

Also, I mean ban from life, or at least breeding. Not just ban from this site, but I'd be ok with that.

Allegory of the Cave - read it.

You mean the single most basic philosophical text that every single liberal arts major reads in his first semester of college?

That's what you're basing this on?

What's next, going into a detailed analysis based on The Catcher in the Rye? Maybe you'll cite The Perks of Being a Wallflower? Or say that the most meaningful movie in your life is Taxi Driver? Did you buy your mousepad at Hot Topic?

I suggest moving at least into Philosophy 201. I mean, Plato's Cave is pretty mind-blowing when you're 17, but Lacan is way more titillating.

-------------

23. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 15:42 Bard

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:19:
Can we ban a user for claiming Al Qaeda is a fictional creation?

Also, I mean ban from life, or at least breeding. Not just ban from this site, but I'd be ok with that.

Allegory of the Cave - read it.

22. removed Mar 13, 2013, 15:14 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 13, 2013, 16:17.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:57 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 14:10:
That being said, the number of non-religious people as a percent of the population continues to grow, so it will be interesting to watch how that plays out over the next several decades.

You'll be disappointed. What most people don't realize is that science is just another religion. Ancient mysticism and religions as a whole were basically a way to estimate and explain how and why things occurred, much as science does today. In fact, science's main goal in the modern world is simply to get more accurate, like the move from classical to quantum physics. The relative rapidity of progress tends to distort our long view.

Some might say that religions have no empiricism, and they'd be wrong; it's just a basic trial by fire, as those rituals that failed in history ended up in doomed civilizations, so clearly they were wrong...not that it matters, their religions die with them. They simply embrace the superior one, which in most cases is simply the old one with modifications. We see this in the classical world with Greek to Roman, even as the similarly Herculean-based one that Hannibal followed got wiped off the map.

Then you have people say that science somehow doesn't follow that trned. Yet if you look at academic centers today, they are driven by funding from things like "global warming" that entice the theorists and researchers to blur data towards their fields. Not to mention, the centers of learning in the old world were also the centers of religion; take a look at the history of monasticism all the way up to post-Renaissance thought. The most learned individuals were not generally secular.

The connection is that the religions of old will adapt or die out, and the new ways will take on many of the trappings, powers, and effects of the old. When you're dealing with complex things like economics, in which chaos theory more or less says we cannot predict classically with any real accuracy, there is no single point of agreement. Half the world or more doesn't even embrace democracy of any type. Yet somehow we mock and leave religion in the dust like some kind of relic.

You might as well say that the class system of society's days are numbered, but then we see a growing wealth gap and the rise of communism in China. The idea that there won't be either a super-engineered upper class and/or a forced-engineered lower class is likewise short-sighted. Let me tell you, if that comes to pass, you'll clearly see how the "science" we subscribe to today is truly a religion.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:54 Creston

Yeah, but you're just grumpy.

Giggle

Creston

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:24 jdreyer

Just out of curiosity, what's your alternative? I pretty much ignore the rec engine, and just search for what I want to watch, although on occasion something decent comes up. But yeah, I agree. I watched the first two seasons of Archer last year, but when the new epis were available, it didn't alert me. Also, between stuff I watch and the kids watch, the rec list can give some strange results. Thus I ignore it and just search for what I want.

18. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:13 Verno

It improves as you watch stuff I've found. My initial recommendations after the questionnaire weren't good but as I picked out and watched things they've improved significantly. You can also just ignore the recommendations and use Instant Queue or instantwatcher.com, assuming the interface is available in your country. Most of the time we just watch stuff from the queue, I only browse when we're in the mood for something new.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:10 jdreyer

Human beings appear to have a genetic predisposition to religion, so it seems unlikely that any large religion will go away completely. Even in countries where religion is subject to a strictly enforced ban it continues. That being said, the number of non-religious people as a percent of the population continues to grow, so it will be interesting to watch how that plays out over the next several decades.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 14:07 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:42:
*looks down. Just shakes head.*

Anyway, that Netflix article is pretty interesting. It makes sense for Netflix to leverage that incredible amount of data they have, and I'm not sure why it's a cause for concern. If Netflix believes in its data strongly enough to commit $100 million on two seasons of a new show before it's even shown a single episode, that's something that we, as viewers, should applaud.

How often have you started watching a show on network television, gotten really hooked, and then had to sit there and watch as the fuckers at BIG NETWORK yanked it after five episodes, because Oh Dear God The Teens Aren't Watching It!

This way, you know that if you watch House of Cards, you get two full seasons at minimum. I would gladly sign up for more of that kind of surety.

As for whether it turns people into puppets or not, well, I guess if you're the kind to just blindly go along with what Netflix tells you to do, sure. That doesn't mean that Netflix has turned you into a puppet, however. It just means you ARE one.

I think it's promising that someone is finally using actual data of people watching, rather than the 50-years-out-of-date fucking Nielsen ratings, to determine what's interesting to people and what isn't.

/wish I could watch Netflix.

Creston

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 13:58 jdreyer

Axis wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 12:52:
#1. Cable is shit. All shows, even on demand ones = bazillions of commercials feeding the true puppetmasters while they bombard their puppets with worthless shit.

#2. Netflix is not shit. Pick what you want when you want without commercials.

Having had both for years, I've come to despise cable. I value my time, many don't.

I got rid of my cable 10 years ago (although I got it free for a couple of years before they finally shut it off). For a while I either rented or bought DVDs, but started using Netflix streaming as soon as it was available. I don't watch a ton of TV, but commercial free is worth paying for, IMO. My kids grew up without commercials, and got extremely irritated at the commercials we had to suffer through during the superbowl stream.

14. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 13, 2013, 13:53 Verno

Basically what Creston said. I must be the target demographic, b/c I appreciate Spacey as an actor, like most of the Fincher movies I've seen (I think he did the best he could with that Aliens 3 script), and like political dramas. Haven't watched HoC yet, but it's on my too watch list once work calms down a bit. Looking forward to it.

There is a concern that using big data could result in lowest common denominator programming, but it sounds like Netflix is using this to go after specific niches it thinks will be popular. I don't expect Netflix to be competing with Jersey Shore or Honey Boo Boo anytime soon. If they mimic HBO in their show creation, I'd be all for that.

Oh totally. I really don't give a fuck what they do with my viewing metrics, it can only serve to improve the experience for me by having accurate data instead of the bullshit Nielsens. Netflix is fantastic, their original programming efforts have been significant and they provide a great value for your dollar.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo