Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Offline SimCity

A few details have come to light in the question of how difficult it would be to make the new SimCity playable offline, a conundrum that confuses even EA, as they have indicated this would be both possible and impossible. Kotaku writes of pulling the plug on the game and having it play on for about 19 minutes before crapping out, seeming to contradict the notion that a significant portion of the game's calculations are taking place on the server side. Likewise, Notch tweets: "I like how you can keep playing Sim City even when it notifies you that the servers are down. (But I thought it REALLY needed them?)." This plays into a report on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talking with an anonymous engineer the site says they've confirmed worked on the game. He discusses the most difficult part of playing SimCity offline would be how gameplay is based on interactions between regions, but the source says: "It wouldn’t take very much engineering to give you a limited single-player game without all the nifty region stuff." As for the server being required to play the game, he tells them SimCity does no significant game simulation on the server side:

The servers are not handling any of the computation done to simulate the city you are playing. They are still acting as servers, doing some amount of computation to route messages of various types between both players and cities. As well, they’re doing cloud storage of save games, interfacing with Origin, and all of that. But for the game itself? No, they’re not doing anything. I have no idea why they’re claiming otherwise. It’s possible that Bradshaw misunderstood or was misinformed, but otherwise I’m clueless.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

46. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:24 InBlack

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 09:14:
EA has gone above and beyond in this latest round, they have earned every iota of condemnation from the mainstream press, people on forums and their own customers. Any suggestion otherwise is an obvious attempt to troll or shill at this point, it went well beyond that like 4 stories ago with the refund crap. EA gets treated different because they act different, bottom line is that someone just wants an attention fix and it's time for us to stop giving it to him.

I just realized how sad that is.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:14 Verno

EA has gone above and beyond in this latest round, they have earned every iota of condemnation from the mainstream press, people on forums and their own customers. Any suggestion otherwise is an obvious attempt to troll or shill at this point, it went well beyond that like 4 stories ago with the refund crap. EA gets treated different because they act different, bottom line is that someone just wants an attention fix and it's time for us to stop giving it to him.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

44. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:11 avianflu

Amazon is selling simcity again but with a large boxed disclaimer.

However it is still selling at 59.99, which is ridiculous. If there was ever a big-budget release game to drop to 29.99 immediately, this is the one.

43. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:09 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:56:
That's not hurt feelings, it's disgust at how whiny half the people here are.

Let me put it this way...

I didn't buy Sim City, but I am outraged because I wanted to buy a new Sim City.

I didn't buy several UBI games when they had always online DRM, and was outraged, because I wanted to buy Driver San Francisco, and a couple of others. (Now I can, since they reveresed it with just one time activation with UPlay)

I didn't buy Diablo III, and actually had no interest, but I'm still outraged about the always online DRM and Pay to Win Auction House. Why? Because it sets precedence... which is why EA tried this crap with Sim City.

And yes, I'm really irritated with everyone that bought these games and supported always-online-DRM. They are the reason these publishers keep trying this shit.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 09:17.

42. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:07 Kajetan

And there you are whining about other people whining. It funny everytime you show up and you still dont get your own hypocrisy.

But please, go on, dont let me stand in your way of not realizing how foolish you look.

41. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:04 InBlack

Kajetan wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:43:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:19:
And EVERYTIME you chip in to blabber about your hurt feelings.

I hope you can appreciate the irony of your post....somehow though Im pretty sure that if you could, you wouldnt have posted that...

40. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:56 RollinThundr

Kajetan wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:43:

39. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:51 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:37:
In other words: EA is full of shit, as usual. This is about DRM and about preventing mods so they can DLC it out the ass. This comes in addition to reports from EA's forum that the engine is just plain broken and just goes into full "what the fuck ever" mode once you reach a certain number of people. I hope the whole fucking thing burns around them and their shit-ass company.

Bye Maxis. You can join the corpses of Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog and all the other once great developers who were fucking murdered by EA. Once upon it time, it was nice playing your games. Not anymore.

Creston

Instead you'll make 50 post per EA thread bitching because that's oh so more productive than swearing off EA titles. I get the outrage with SimCity, terrible design choices and crippling DRM. If I had bought the game I'd be pretty livid myself. You Creston take the cake though, I've never seen someone waste so much time and energy on something they clearly hate.

Then I'd recommend you to watch some Nostalgia Critic or AVGN episodes. :>

38. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:49 InBlack

dumpy wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 07:57:
Correct me if I am wrong, but before the game was available for sale and pre-purchase didn't EA and Maxis make clear the requirements, DRM, constant connection, and etcetera? Not to mention the reputation of EA, which should well have been a clear indicator of what to expect. I'm just interested that so many people are angry, when information was readily available right at their fingertips allowing them to make an informed purchase. Two examples of publishing choices that have affected me due to similar reasons, but completely differently are Anno 2070 and Diablo 3, of which the latter I no longer play for various reasons including the constant internet connection requirement (which I was aware of before buying).

Newsflash...MOST people arent very aware of their surroundings...SimCity! OOOO SHINY!!!!

Seriously, no one reads the fine print except for us internet nerds who have been doing so for the last twenty years or so...we are a small drop in the ocean of the masses.

I for one did not buy SimCity for three reasons. Origin, my experience with Error 37 with D3 and thirdly because this is EA.

Besides this game DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED, not even close....not even in fine print...

37. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:43 Kajetan

36. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:39 xXBatmanXx

The whole debacle is pretty damn funny.  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

35. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:19 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:37:
In other words: EA is full of shit, as usual. This is about DRM and about preventing mods so they can DLC it out the ass. This comes in addition to reports from EA's forum that the engine is just plain broken and just goes into full "what the fuck ever" mode once you reach a certain number of people. I hope the whole fucking thing burns around them and their shit-ass company.

Bye Maxis. You can join the corpses of Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog and all the other once great developers who were fucking murdered by EA. Once upon it time, it was nice playing your games. Not anymore.

Creston

Instead you'll make 50 post per EA thread bitching because that's oh so more productive than swearing off EA titles. I get the outrage with SimCity, terrible design choices and crippling DRM. If I had bought the game I'd be pretty livid myself. You Creston take the cake though, I've never seen someone waste so much time and energy on something they clearly hate.

34. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:07 TheDevilYouKnow

Please folks, just stop buying anything fom EA. Vote with your dollar and keep it in your pocket.

If you need to appease your inner activist...I have noticed quite a few
of you have the gift of gab. Why not craft a petition calling for EA to quit the blatant douche-baggery perpetrated against us constantly?

Or better still call for a boycott of EA in general. I will sign right up for that.

33. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 08:07 flechett3

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 00:00:
I skipped this. I just pretty much skip EA titles automatically now.

I always wanted follow-ups to SimLife. I even emailed Maxis (the real one - before EA bought them) about a sequel but the guy who emailed me back said that it didn't sell enough copies of the original to do a sequel.

I fricking loved SimLife back in the day on my LCii. That game taught me so much, and in such a simple way.

32. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 07:57 dumpy

Correct me if I am wrong, but before the game was available for sale and pre-purchase didn't EA and Maxis make clear the requirements, DRM, constant connection, and etcetera? Not to mention the reputation of EA, which should well have been a clear indicator of what to expect. I'm just interested that so many people are angry, when information was readily available right at their fingertips allowing them to make an informed purchase. Two examples of publishing choices that have affected me due to similar reasons, but completely differently are Anno 2070 and Diablo 3, of which the latter I no longer play for various reasons including the constant internet connection requirement (which I was aware of before buying).  

31. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 07:10 OpticNerve

The AI doing it's magic.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 07:17.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

30. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 06:53 J

This has been, and still is, awesome popcorn-munching material. You couldn't script a clusterfuck of this scale. It's awesome! Popcorn  

29. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 06:38 Sempai

Ea should be sued into the ground. For the love of God! there surely must be some firm out there with a set of balls who will sue these liars.

It's beyond time for corporations like EA, who punish the very people who support them to simply go the way of the Dodo.

Such arrogance, such ignorance.

And if you purchased this broken scam of a product from these douche bags, you are part of the problem.

28. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 06:25 Julio

The people who run EA have no intelligence, so why is it a surprise that their game has broken AI?

If its in the game, it's not in our game.

27. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 06:21 Kawlisse

If hackers can do it EA should be able to do it also! its really like they dont want our cash !  

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo