Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PCMag.com - After SimCity Debacle, a Gamers' Bill of Rights.
If companies like EA, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Nintendo, and Capcom truly want to regain or keep the trust of gamers, they should consider this an outline for how to treat customers in the future.

This was loosely based on the Gamers' Bill of Rights website, which hasn't been updated in three years but still has an active forum.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2013, 09:22 wrlwnd

What hogwash.

I wish "gamers" would stop acting like little children who have to have their toys NOW and are incapable of making rational buying choices.

If idiots continue to buy crap, then that's what companies will continue to make.

Duh.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2013, 08:11 xXBatmanXx

Isn't this our 10th Gamer's Bill of Rights?  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

9. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2013, 06:19 Julio

Companies like EA and Ubisoft don't really care about their customers. Lipservice and minor PR damage control such as free $20 games is their low cost way of dealing with issues. I don't see them making radical changes, so not buying online DRM games is the best way to avoid getting shafted by them.  

8. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2013, 00:07 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 23:51:
I make software for a living, as part of a medium sized company. We have had customers leave, and it's hard, but usually they don't tell us why they are leaving, so we learn little from that. We guess. We also have long term customers who give us constant feedback. We do our best to respond to that feedback, and keep those customers. We value our customers, and as a result we've been expanding despite a shaky economy.

We have biannual customer surveys, 24/7 support, product advisory groups, product show-and-tells, and a yearly customer conference. I don't know for certain but I would bet big that if we lose a customer there's a process and effort to find out why. Have I ever told you guys that I love working for a company with integrity?

7. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 23:51 jdreyer

I get that you can't simply complain and not change you buying habits. I said as much. But you can't change your buying habits and expect things to change unless you also elucidate the reasons for changing your buying habits.

I make software for a living, as part of a medium sized company. We have had customers leave, and it's hard, but usually they don't tell us why they are leaving, so we learn little from that. We guess. We also have long term customers who give us constant feedback. We do our best to respond to that feedback, and keep those customers. We value our customers, and as a result we've been expanding despite a shaky economy.

If game publishers want to know why gamers are pissed off, this document lays it out. It's feedback that they could use to create better customer loyalty and a better industry reputation.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 23:18 NKD

The problem, jdreyer, is that EA and all these other companies are businesses. All they care is that you're buying their product. Only the developers who get their hands dirty actually care about the quality of the product. The decision makers only care if it sells. You have to actually make the product sell poorly by refusing to buy it before they'll even begin to look at forums and take them seriously. If sales are really good, they won't take your complaints seriously. Because you didn't prove you were serious by not buying the game.

But if we stop giving them our money, they have no choice but to do what we say to start getting it back.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

5. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 23:10 Atomic

wtf_man wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:54:
Ditto to what Creston and Cutter said.

Agree here too...

FYI, Same reason games cost 60 bucks now. They jumped it up, we didn't blink.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

4. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 22:57 jdreyer

The world isn't that black and white (if DRM == true, don't buy, else buy). Consumers buy games knowing there are pitfalls. It doesn't mean that the consumer doesn't want the pitfalls fixed or avoided in the future. And a publisher can ascribe any number of reasons to the fact that a particular game didn't sell well, so there needs to be other ways of communicating in addition to voting with your wallet. A document like this spells out explicitly all the expectations of gamers as consumers. It doesn't mean that they'll be adhered to, but at least they're articulated.

I still think Brad did the right thing putting this together, even if he couldn't follow its tenets himself. It's both logical and respectful of the customer.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

3. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 22:54 wtf_man

Ditto to what Creston and Cutter said.  

2. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 22:39 Creston

Yeah, I gotta agree with that. STOP FUCKING BUYING IT AND THEY WILL STOP FUCKING MAKING IT.

Sadly, the large, large majority of gamers are genuinely like lemmings. As long as it's a pretty sparkle, they'll gladly walk off a fucking cliff to get at it.

Creston

1. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 22:19 Cutter

Oh please. The only Bill of Rights required is the Bill of Common Sense. If it's ODRM then don't buy it. Nothing speaks louder about your "rights" to assholes like EA than poor sales. It made Ubisoft change its way.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo