Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Blizzard Entertainment announces the Heart of the Swarm expansion is now available for StarCraft II, their sci-fi RTS sequel. "Heart of the Swarm enhances every aspect of StarCraft II," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "In addition to Kerrigan’s campaign and the new multiplayer units and maps, we think players will really enjoy the new online elements and new features that make StarCraft II more fun and easier to learn than ever before." The announcement outlines the perks for buying the various editions of the add-on, and here's an overview:

Heart of the Swarm picks up the story where StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty® left off, focusing on Kerrigan’s quest to reunite the Swarm and exact revenge on Arcturus Mengsk. Over the course of 20 campaign missions, players will follow Kerrigan as she sweeps across the galaxy, incorporating a variety of distinctive zerg species into her brood. Kerrigan will grow in strength from mission to mission, and players will be able to customize her with powerful new abilities, as well as evolve various zerg strains into fearsome new subspecies to suit their play style.

New weapons of war also debut in Heart of the Swarm’s multiplayer, including new units such as Terran Hellbats, Zerg Swarm Hosts, and Protoss Tempests, while certain existing units from Wings of Liberty will be updated with new capabilities. In addition, several new features will enhance the game experience, including group and clan systems; training and versus-A.I. modes, to help new players transition from the campaign into multiplayer; unranked matchmaking; Global Play, enabling players to battle others in different regions around the world; additional stat tracking; user interface improvements; an enhanced physics system, for more visceral-looking battles; “Watch With Others” and “Take Command,” to watch replays with friends as well as jump in and assume control at any point; a leveling system that gives Heart of the Swarm players a new way to earn customization options for their online profiles; and much more.

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:41 Silicon Avatar

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:20:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

You'll have to play with friends and agree not to rush.

That's the case with a lot of RTS though.

You can go to Youtube and memorize a few build lists that help vs. most people, but at that point you might as well be an AI since you're just following a script anyhow. That's how a lot of people play though.

To me that gets boring, so I probably won't bother with the expansion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:40 Flatline

So how many days do you think it'll be before Blizzard patches the game for balance reasons to the point that they entirely undo the "balancing" that they've been doing for the last 2 years?

I never understood that with Starcraft. Yeah we'll sit on the f*cking game for 2+ years "polishing" it and "balancing" it, and in the first month we'll get more real-world feedback on balance than in our entire development cycle, rendering that 2 year wait pointless.

I wonder if it's just meant to build up hype, or if the devs really don't give a shit about shipping product in a timely manner.

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:40 SpectralMeat

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.
That is why I do not play RTS games online. If I want to enjoy the game and level up etc., I'll just play against the bots offline. (Not sure if possible with SC2)
Online MP (not just RTS pretty much any other genre) is a crap shoot. Unless you play with/against people you know, you never know what you're getting into.

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:31 RollinThundr

Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:24 Fati

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:06 ELITE

Someone post the cut scenes on YouTube so I can catch up with the story and call it a completed game.
Thanks

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:02 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:55:
InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:53:

The problem is that Blizzard games go on sale like 15 years after they are released....

Yeah, it took a year and a half until SC II went on sale for $30.

That's fine, I'm in no rush. Plenty of games to play while I wait. They need my money a lot more than I need their game

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:55 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:53:

The problem is that Blizzard games go on sale like 15 years after they are released....

Yeah, it took a year and a half until SC II went on sale for $30.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:32 SpectralMeat

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:18:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:43:
So I was trying to see what this expansion pack costs, I have to log into my Blizzard account for that. Since I have not played SC2 for a long time I forgot my password. Resetting password, got the e-mail with the confirmation link. Click on the link everything is fine, try to log in again with the new pw, Blizzard locked my account for suspicious activity.
I never though checking a price on something is going to be this fucking difficult.

The game is $39.99USD in the US. Not sure about the rest of the world though.

I played through the first mission before going into work this morning, and definitely liked what I saw. Nothing much is going on at work today -- mostly today I'm just a warm body so that management can say that someone is on duty if anything happens -- so I'm trying to get SC2 up and running in WINE on my Linux laptop.

Thanks

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:24 edaciousx

yup.... I was ranked fairly high in sc2 when I played and balance is there. counter for counter for counter for counters.... excellent balance.  

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:20 RollinThundr

MattyC wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:06:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:42:
No I have, and every mp game boils down to who can base rush quickest. Hardly what I would call fun for a strategy game.

Most people are going to give you a poke pretty early but calling that 'base rush' is silly. They are just just getting a look at what you are doing and making sure you aren't getting away with risky play. If they can break you there, sure, they will, but there is no reason the game can't continue to a long macro game.

Most of my games are around 30-40 'Blizzard minutes' (they really need to change that - terrible idea). What level were you playing at?

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:18 Scottish Martial Arts

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:43:
So I was trying to see what this expansion pack costs, I have to log into my Blizzard account for that. Since I have not played SC2 for a long time I forgot my password. Resetting password, got the e-mail with the confirmation link. Click on the link everything is fine, try to log in again with the new pw, Blizzard locked my account for suspicious activity.
I never though checking a price on something is going to be this fucking difficult.

The game is $39.99USD in the US. Not sure about the rest of the world though.

I played through the first mission before going into work this morning, and definitely liked what I saw. Nothing much is going on at work today -- mostly today I'm just a warm body so that management can say that someone is on duty if anything happens -- so I'm trying to get SC2 up and running in WINE on my Linux laptop.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:11 dj LiTh

MattyC wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:30:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:13:
m00t wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:54:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:20:
Sempai wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:03:
Sure wish they'd allow me to move that damned camera out a little..

Adjustable camera in an RTS? That's so 2004 on! How dare you expect Blizzard to innovate rather than rehash the same 10 year+ old starcraft with a new subtag line? Heresy!

Or pulling the camera out in multiplayer gives you a huge advantage, but hey why let balance get in the way of your bashing.

lol balance in a blizzard RTS where 99.9% of the games played are over in under 10 minutes. Balance is the last thing I'd worry about in their RTS'es.

Based on your comments I am pretty sure you never actually played SC2.

No I have, and every mp game boils down to who can base rush quickest. Hardly what I would call fun for a strategy game.

Well, not if your any good, then no.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 13:06 MattyC

Most people are going to give you a poke pretty early but calling that 'base rush' is silly. They are just just getting a look at what you are doing and making sure you aren't getting away with risky play. If they can break you there, sure, they will, but there is no reason the game can't continue to a long macro game.

Most of my games are around 30-40 'Blizzard minutes' (they really need to change that - terrible idea). What level were you playing at?

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 12:43 SpectralMeat

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 12:42 RollinThundr

MattyC wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:30:

Adjustable camera in an RTS? That's so 2004 on! How dare you expect Blizzard to innovate rather than rehash the same 10 year+ old starcraft with a new subtag line? Heresy!

Or pulling the camera out in multiplayer gives you a huge advantage, but hey why let balance get in the way of your bashing.

lol balance in a blizzard RTS where 99.9% of the games played are over in under 10 minutes. Balance is the last thing I'd worry about in their RTS'es.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 12:30 MattyC

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 12:23 Sempai

I think most of us understand the camera is locked due to multiplayer balance. What you, and they don't seem to grasp is giving the player the option to move the gdamned camera in single player, coop, and non-ranked games. It's called giving the players choice, which corporations like Blizzard/Activision & EA(SimCity)seem to have completely thrown out the window.

When i watch replays from HDStarcraft and see how they allow you to watch the game from a sane FoV, it's very enjoyable, and it makes me wonder why i can't play the actual fucking game in the same manner.

But let's keep defending bad design choices(no choice)in the name of "balance" for Asian competition i as a paying customer could give two shits about.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 12:13 RollinThundr

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 11:59 1badmf

played the first couple of campaign missions; have to say the story is pretty good so far, and whoever's doing the soundtrack must be commended. epic romance developing between raynor and kerrigan; has real potential to be a memorable war epic.

dont pound me too hard for giving blizz my money - i know a guy that works there and i got it for $10.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo