Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well now I understand more completely why those of you who know better were so taken aback by my stupidity when I recently confessed to having caused a bathroom flood by absent-mindedly flushing a pair of chicken wings. After I cleared the clogged toilet, the other shoe dropped, so to speak, when the basement started flooding with, yes, sewage, as I managed to clog the sewer trap. And while this wasn't actually as horrible as it sounds, it was pretty damned awful. We got someone in to clear the clog, and I got to spend hours dealing with cleaning it up, which, again wasn't as horrible as it sounds, but still pretty damned awful. Needless to say, this serves as a lesson learned... to the extent that when the plumber warned against repeating my mistake I admitted at this point I was going to be wary of flushing toilet tissue.

Clogged Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Star Squadrons.
Links: Unready for takeoff- The five worst PC game launches (that aren’t SimCity).
Stressful jobs that pay badly.
Stories: Michael Vick's book-signing tour axed after threats for dogfighting ring.
Science: Physicists Discover a Whopping 13 New Solutions to Three-Body Problem.
New wave of 'superbugs' poses dire threat, says chief medical officer.
Growing New Teeth, With a Little Help From Mice. Thanks Slashdot.
Media: SoundWorks Collection - Epic Trailer Music.
Street Fighter VS Call of Duty Black Ops 2 - Combat Axe & Blade Montage.
The Funnies: Brevity.
Follow-up: SpaceX Minute-by-Minute Replay on Saving Dragon Spacecraft. Thanks Boing Boing.
LucasFilm Cancels Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Delays Star Wars: Detours.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2013, 09:28 nin

I miss the dreamcast. Great system, as well...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2013, 02:28 xmb1121

While the Saturn launch basically killed Sega, Daytona USA and Panzer Dragoon were amazing launch titles.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 22:50 nin

I just remember the Sin demo, with the part where you're on the chopper(?) with a turret, blowing everything away. A real "holy shit" moment for it's time...good times!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 22:47 mag

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 22:42:
mag wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 21:50:
nin wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 17:04:
I remember the Myth2 un-installer deltree'ing your C:\Windows directory, or something to that effect. That was pretty snazzy.

I think it was one directory up from where ever you installed it. Which, by default was under c:\program files, so that whole folder structure (program files and everything under it) got nuked. Which, as you can imagine, Windows didn't care for.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't SiN eat hard drives when it was first released?

I think SiN had something in the third level where you drank a potion to turn into a mutant or something, but the effect never wore off for anyone, so it prevented you from going on.

But this is all ages ago, and I'm old. So my memory can probably be referred to as "EA'ish."

Creston

Ha! Didn't remember that one.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 22:42 Creston

I remember the Myth2 un-installer deltree'ing your C:\Windows directory, or something to that effect. That was pretty snazzy.

I think it was one directory up from where ever you installed it. Which, by default was under c:\program files, so that whole folder structure (program files and everything under it) got nuked. Which, as you can imagine, Windows didn't care for.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't SiN eat hard drives when it was first released?

I think SiN had something in the third level where you drank a potion to turn into a mutant or something, but the effect never wore off for anyone, so it prevented you from going on.

But this is all ages ago, and I'm old. So my memory can probably be referred to as "EA'ish."

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 22:14 PHJF

Pool of Radiance was the HDD eater.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 21:51 nin

I thought there was some brew-ha-ha, but I don't recall what it was...could be!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 21:50 mag

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 18:55 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 12:02:
Maybe that was your experience but I recall the general shitstorm on forums because people couldn't decrypt the HL2 files or whatever after work. I guess it's their own fault for not calling in sick though WoW was alright, I remember the servers being really unstable in general but you could at least get some time into it. The UO launch was way worse but I guess forgivable since it was one of the first MMORPGs.

FF14 was probably one of the worst, not only for the technical problems but the fact that it was a really incomplete game that should have never launched.

That must have been later in the day. Turns out I didn't post around launch but you can see others in Out Of The Blue unlocking the files at 3:01 (Valve midnight launch) finishing up around 3:15-3:30 and playing. A very smooth launch night for one of the most anticipated games of all time on a new service no less.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 18:53 Jivaro

Yeah, that is what I seem to remember...but I don't think it got out to the public or if it did...it was a small number of people.

From the wiki (which must be right...right?!):
Myth II installer bug

The original version of the Myth II: Soulblighter contained a serious bug. The bug was that the CD contained an uninstaller which would remove Myth from a computer by deleting the directory in which it had been installed. If the user had overridden the default and installed Myth to the root level of his hard drive, the uninstaller would delete the entire contents of the user's hard drive.

This bug was caught after Myth II CDs had been sent out and also duplicated and boxed to ship to stores. Bungie employees went to the factory, tore open the boxes, and replaced the faulty CDs with new CDs on which the uninstaller bug had been fixed. Luckily, only the marketing person who discovered the bug had his hard drive wiped. Martin O' Donnell confirmed all this data in an episode of the Bungie Podcast.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 18:12 Julio

SimplyMonk wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:14:
WoW should be replaced by Shadowbane or the even more hilarious launch, WWII: Online.

I remember WWII Online, that's when I first stopped lurking here and started posting to express how ticked off I was with that game. No refund of course.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 17:04 nin

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 16:21 jdreyer

Cabezone wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:56:
WoW's problems were as a result of it's completely unexpected, by everybody, success. That really is a different category from games that just don't work at launch.

Simcity is claiming the same.

The thing is, we suffered through these things 10 years ago so we don't have to today. Plus ce la change...

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 15:23 Cutter

Toilet tissue? It's paper! Paper! As in pass the TP! Or even SP! And all intelligent and right thinking people know it's always dispensed in an underhand fashion.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 15:19 fawker

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:12:
Bad Rat refused refunds or any compensation, I eventually took it back to the store where the manager didn't want to accept it either but I started making a scene and then was able to get my money back. Worst MMO launch ever, both the game and servers were utterly broken.

It was Cornered Rat I believe, I remember it because it was so ironic.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 15:18 SimplyMonk

PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:37:
Loot lag, Captain Placeholder, server queues, server outages. You don't remember bending down to loot a corpse of something you killed and being stuck there for a couple of minutes because the database servers had to catch up?

I literally remember none of that except server queues. I played Horde on a low-pop RP server at the time if I recall correctly though (Silver Hand). Rather, I think the Horde side was low-pop. Anecdotal experience being what it is, your mileage obviously varied as my experience was rather good compared to previous MMOs I'd played on launch day.

Verno wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:12:
Trying to fly a plane was a literal slideshow.

My favorite was flying low with your landing gear down, clipping tanks with your wheels and flipping them over. Although, 90% of the time you just plowed right into the tank and ground.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 15:24.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 14:12 Verno

WoW should be replaced by Shadowbane or the even more hilarious launch, WWII: Online. Both had horrible launches. I'm sure there are a large number of little MMOs that were even worst. I guess WoW is there because it is WoW?

Ahh yes, WWII Online thanks for reminding me. I had preordered that game and was so excited when I got home. The game repeatedly crashed while I tried to adjust the options which should have been my first clue. It was obvious that they haven't even tested 100 people at the same time, let alone 50,000. The servers were up and down every 5 minutes, one of the admins later admitted that the loads were causing the servers to essentially grind to a halt and require a manual reboot because they were apparently too dumb to just restart the server daemon (better yet, code competent server software in the first place). The game itself was hilariously broken, I proned through the world a few times and was launched into the sky by a bullet later on. The game was such a poor performer at launch that I could barely get above single digit FPS. Trying to fly a plane was a literal slideshow. The vehicles had an insane learning curve and infantry combat was atrocious, it was obvious no play testing had actually been done on the game.

Bad Rat refused refunds or any compensation, I eventually took it back to the store where the manager didn't want to accept it either but I started making a scene and then was able to get my money back. Worst MMO launch ever, both the game and servers were utterly broken.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 13:56 Cabezone

WoW's problems were as a result of it's completely unexpected, by everybody, success. That really is a different category from games that just don't work at launch.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 13:37 PropheT

Meh. WoW really shouldn't of been on there. Personally, it was one of the smoother launches that I ever participated in. Wait Queues were the only thing annoying that came to mind.

Loot lag, Captain Placeholder, server queues, server outages. You don't remember bending down to loot a corpse of something you killed and being stuck there for a couple of minutes because the database servers had to catch up? That didn't get fixed until well into spring of the year after WoW launched. The boats broke, and were eventually replaced with Captain Placeholder so that people could get across the sea. Queues were huge, and annoying isn't what I'd call them; they were 2-3 hours in length most days for months, making the game completely unplayable if you were a day-shift person who could only play at night. People were also finding ways to crash zones on a regular basis, causing "world server unavailable" problems if you were frequenting populated areas like Ironforge.

The number of MMO's with a good and clean launch can probably be counted on one hand, but WoW's problems extended for much of its first six months in existence.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2013, 13:26 SimplyMonk

Because I find it hilarious:

World of Shadowbane

Apparently a Chinese company bought the rights and source code for Shadowbane and are remaking it? I don't even know.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo