Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 12, 2013, 09:07 avianflu

Just google arstechnica Sony UK exec: PS4 used game question “isn’t clarified just yet”
British boss' pointed non-statement walks Sony back on the controversial issue.

"...PlayStation UK Managing Director Fergal Gara to confirm reports of Yoshida's earlier "used games are OK" statements, his answer was a bit less than reassuring for potential PS4 buyers.

"Well, first of all, we haven't stated that second-hand games... we haven’t made a statement on the second-hand games question," Gara said. "The answer to the pre-owned question isn’t clarified just yet and we’re working through that and we’ll announce our position in more detail as and when we can."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 23:41 jdreyer

I think the most interesting thing about the comments in this thread is that Sony said they wanted to appeal to the core gamer and appear to have done exactly that, at least compared to the Xbox.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 21:51 Golwar

Interesting thread, I wouldn't have expected so many pro-PS comments.
My own experience is that I always had a PC and a Nintendo console for some decades now, with Nintendo only playing a minor role after the SNES.

When I decided to get a PS3 once when the Slim came around, I certainly didn't expect that it would manage to shift my gaming experience as much as it did. I still love the PC the most, be it for the Paradox titles or other strategy games, the Football Manager series or MP shooter experiences as Planetside 2, but everything else happens on the PS3 now.

The system certainly has its disadvantages, but Sony already mentioned during their presentation how it would get rid of those with the PS4.
So many things sound positive about the system and the games seem (Drive Club! *drool*) so promising, that I'm actually more excited than I'd have ever expected.
And in my personal rating I don't even include any of those online & social features. Right now they don't matter to me, be it just for the reason that I'm doubting if those services will be of any practical value. If they'll be great, all the better.

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 21:50 Jivaro

avianflu wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 19:37:
Actually no, SONY PR quickly stepped back about anything they said about used-games 2 days after their event and then hoped no one would notice that they took everything back.

I wouldn't believe a word SONY is saying on that matter, but YMMV.

I am sure you are right..but link? I have read no such backtracking and would be interested in reading about it as someone who plans on getting a PS4 atm.

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 19:37 avianflu

Actually no, SONY PR quickly stepped back about anything they said about used-games 2 days after their event and then hoped no one would notice that they took everything back.

I wouldn't believe a word SONY is saying on that matter, but YMMV.

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 19:04 Redmask

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 18:02:

Rumored downsides like locking games to a specific consoles, locking out rentals, locking out resales, etc.

I think you're thinking of the Xbox successor, the Sony console is reported to be more 'open'.

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 18:59 Panickd

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 18:02:
Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:43:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:33:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:19:
Well the PS4 reveal was a little lack luster, imo.

I agree. All the "features" were things I would never use, and I couldn't imagine too many others using them either.

And the rumored downsides seem pretty big.

The hardware seemed nice though.

What downsides are you referring to?

Rumored downsides like locking games to a specific consoles, locking out rentals, locking out resales, etc.

You mean all the downsides the reps from Sony have repeatedly said they won't engage in even if Microsoft decided to?

When all the new game sales go digital it's not going to matter anyway.

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 18:27 CJ_Parker

Xbox 360 is of horrible quality in my opinion and I'm certainly never going to touch a MS console ever again. Aside from it undermining my much higher rated interest in quality PC games, the Xbox itself is simply a piece of shit.
I own a black special edition unit and when playing Forza on it I might as well fire up my vacuum cleaner. It's noisy as fuck. Incredible. People actually play like that? In their living rooms? You have to turn the TV volume way up to even be able to hear the car/game sounds.
And then to add insult to injury the install from the DVD took like half an hour. WTF?!? If the game is installed to the HDD then why do I have to listen to the DVD drive spinning like mad?

Much happier with the quality of my PS3 and I'll take a close look at the PS4 when the second or third generation or the inevitable "slim" version or whatever comes out. But MS can go shove their precious ShitBox where it came from. Never again.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 18:25 Julio

I was a day one buyer of the Xbox 360. One RROD, the refurb replacement 360 died after a few months. Bought another one, which I've had for a while, though I never use it anymore.

Bought 2 PS3s, both are working fine and have had no issues after many years. Use them all the time.

Online, the 360 has insane amounts of adware, its not perfect on the PS3, but a lot better.

No question, I'm going PS4, Xbox 720 can forget about it.

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 18:02 jdreyer

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:33:
Techie714 © wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:19:
Well the PS4 reveal was a little lack luster, imo.

I agree. All the "features" were things I would never use, and I couldn't imagine too many others using them either.

And the rumored downsides seem pretty big.

The hardware seemed nice though.

What downsides are you referring to?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 17:53 Redmask

I had similar gripes about the PS3 and the Xbox 360 had some annoying hiccups too. All those things are gone now in the Playstation 4 thankfully, everything I saw on the big press event was very intuitive and smooth.

MS' primary market is no longer friendless nerds, hate to break it to people expecting the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 to duke it out head to head. The Xbox is not a "video game console" to Microsoft. It's an always-connected media and social centre (that also has games I guess if that's your thing...). That is how they are going to market it. It's your one stop TV box with Skype. That's why they bought that LA TV studio and have been talking with telecoms and cable companies.

I think the PlayStation 4 will be the next gen game console and the Xbox will be a totally different thing, probably more casual with even less of the hardcore games people expect. It will probably compete more with mobile app stores and itunes than other consoles. Oh you might get a Halo game though, if it doesn't cost them too much. Microsoft isn't really a games company, it was just a stepping stone for them. They'll let third parties sell games on there and happily take a cut but I wouldn't expect much in the way of Microsoft Game Studios content again.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 18:09.

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 17:53 Beamer

Also, I do think PSN made it easier to search through games.

Maybe they had fewer, I don't know, but I preferred the grid to what Xbox does. Yeah, it's not as pretty, but way more functional. It's been years since I gave up on bothering to find a good game on XBLA.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 17:48 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 17:43:
Ok let's take an example of any game.

Lets say Red Dead Redemption and buying it online via Xbox Live and PS Store.

Xbox Live: go find the title, buy it, download it and play it.

PS Store: Find Title, buy it, set it to download either right now, or as a background download, go back to your games list, install the game, go and manually delete the download, start up the game, download more patches and then get to play the game.

While I feel the PS Store has better selection of games (especially just released games) the download speed and the extra step's of having to install the game (which is ungodly slow on the PS3) plus the slow rate of downloading the game and any patches makes it my 2nd choice for downloading games.

If Sony offered standard headsets ala Xbox Live and fixed some minor issues I would highly recommend it over Xbox Live in a heartbeat. But my only gripe with Xbox Live is that you HAVE to pay for multiplayer.

Is that why it never works for me?

I had a few things I wanted to download. First off, download in the background never seemed to work for me. It said press O, but any time I did that the entire download would stop. So I had to sit there and let them go. But then it just put a weird icon in my link. As you mentioned, it had to be installed. The whole process ended up being weird and I gave up. Part of the issue is that I was downloading some stuff off the PSN store that came was free or came with Uncharted, I can't recall, that I think ultimately ended up requiring a Vita. I do not own a Vita. I did not know what to do with this stuff. I did not want to spend more than 5 minutes figuring it out.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 17:43 The Half Elf

Ok let's take an example of any game.

Lets say Red Dead Redemption and buying it online via Xbox Live and PS Store.

Xbox Live: go find the title, buy it, download it and play it.

PS Store: Find Title, buy it, set it to download either right now, or as a background download, go back to your games list, install the game, go and manually delete the download, start up the game, download more patches and then get to play the game.

While I feel the PS Store has better selection of games (especially just released games) the download speed and the extra step's of having to install the game (which is ungodly slow on the PS3) plus the slow rate of downloading the game and any patches makes it my 2nd choice for downloading games.

If Sony offered standard headsets ala Xbox Live and fixed some minor issues I would highly recommend it over Xbox Live in a heartbeat. But my only gripe with Xbox Live is that you HAVE to pay for multiplayer.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 16:39 Verno

Yeah exactly. If I just wanted to play Call of Duty then I can do that anywhere, it doesn't matter. Outside of Forza and Halo Microsoft stopped giving me reasons to own their console whereas Sony kept making new stuff. I didn't like all of it but some of it stuck and exclusive third party stuff like Demons Souls turned out to be gems too. Microsoft's approach with timed DLC is lazy, I realize they it costs less than developing games but it's fucking lazy. I think Sony's biggest flub was just the online functionality which they seem to be rectifying and then some. Xbox Live Silver makes the PS3 launch functionality seem generous though, it's incredible how aggressive they are with gating things on Live Gold. Silver might as well not exist and I strongly suspect it won't next gen.

Sony Pictures is the same way, they have some core franchises but they're well known as the artists studio, they will take chances on small profit films and new ideas. I hope the overall problems at Sony don't affect the VG and film divisions too much.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 16:45.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 16:32 Trevellian

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:42:
Trevellian wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:15:
There are people who flip flopped in reverse of your assumed owners of both took. I found more and more I played my PS3 over the 360 when i still owned both and they both were in working order. And that was soley because of titles like Uncharted and Little Big Planet being far more interesting than anything Microsoft had left in their arsenal.

That describes me pretty well too. I started out with just a 360 and loved it. They were making cool stuff across a variety of genres. Everything from oddball JRPGs to their big name franchises. They had fun stuff on Live like contests, 1 vs 100 and polls where they actually took feedback into consideration. I bought a PS3 when the Slim came around to play a few exclusives and simultaneously Microsoft started buying exclusive DLC instead of making games. Gradually I just got more and more into the PS3 then realized I had paid for a year of Live without even using the Xbox 360. That combined with the ads and other stuff made me sell it. It was kind of silly owning three platforms anyway, way too many games and not enough time.

Yeah at the time Reach came out, I had not used Live to play anything online since a year earlier when Gears 2 came out. After I was done with reach I never renewed my Live account again, and then the Xbox Red Ringed anyway and I just said fuck it.

And I too enjoyed the Mistwalker ridiculous multi disc RPG's at first on 360 but they just didn't continue with enough of that. I enjoyed things like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery and even things that were a little off like Nintey-Nine Nights.

But they all but abandoned that fanbase in the favor of like you said, just buying DLC exclusivity for things. It was a sad move in my opinion and helped push me over to Sony even more. Sony is at least willing to try new things, made obvious by stuff like LBP, Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls (Which is now PS4 I believe). I think their willingness to experiment makes them the better choice of console as a PC gamer who is used to seeing experimentation and new genres appear. This will just become even more apparent now that the PS4 is x86 based and PC and PS4 will both benefit from ports not suffering quite as much.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 16:17 Satsu

I learned my lesson with Microsoft. While my 360 has been alive since 2007, I just don't use it to play online games so I don't have a Gold subscription and because I don't have Gold it does barely anything as far as playing media goes. It might as well RROD because it's a waste of space since it requires a fee to do anything other than power it on.

I'll buy a PS4, won't touch a next-gen Xbox. At least I'll be able to stream for free.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 15:42 Verno

Trevellian wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:15:
There are people who flip flopped in reverse of your assumed owners of both took. I found more and more I played my PS3 over the 360 when i still owned both and they both were in working order. And that was soley because of titles like Uncharted and Little Big Planet being far more interesting than anything Microsoft had left in their arsenal.

That describes me pretty well too. I started out with just a 360 and loved it. They were making cool stuff across a variety of genres. Everything from oddball JRPGs to their big name franchises. They had fun stuff on Live like contests, 1 vs 100 and polls where they actually took feedback into consideration. I bought a PS3 when the Slim came around to play a few exclusives and simultaneously Microsoft started buying exclusive DLC instead of making games. Gradually I just got more and more into the PS3 then realized I had paid for a year of Live without even using the Xbox 360. That combined with the ads and other stuff made me sell it. It was kind of silly owning three platforms anyway, way too many games and not enough time.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 15:15 Trevellian

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:32:
fujiJuice wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:16:
I own both the 360 and the PS3, and while I rarely, very rarely play games on them, I use the 360 several times a day. Like someone said, you can buy Live, if you shop around, for a year at around $30, which is money I would rather not have to pay, but I feel I get value out of.

The 360 has so many extra features, some which the PS3 has, but doesn't do nearly as well, that I find myself using it as a media console and not a gaming console.
My brother is the same. He owns a X360, PS3 and Wii, yet he pretty much uses the X360 exclusively (he also games on PC). The biggest fans of the PS3 seem to be those who own it as their only console or who dislike Microsoft as a company - most people that own both prefer the X360.

Only true for some people.

I was an early adopter. I was huge for the first Xbox and loved mine. Had no problem dropping the money to preorder a first gen 360 (I got lucky, mine lasted for 3 years before red ringing, but I take care of my shit). I actually did not buy a PS3 till the first Uncharted released, it was the first exclusive I felt I needed the system for. That and Blu Ray had won the war with HD DVD by then.

After 2 red rings of death and paying 50 dollars for Live for years, when it red ringed again, and they wanted to up their subscription to 60 bucks. That was when enough was enough. They had already plastered enough ad's all over their online service to make me feel jilted as a consumer. If I'm paying for your service, you had better not ram ad's down my throat over and over just so I can play my game online. Reach was the last game I played on 360. I am actually a huge Halo fan, and am disappointed I will never get to play Halo 4, because I now prefer Sony's console to Microsoft's shennanigans. For this reason alone I am excited to see what Bungie does with Destiny.

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 13:25:
I think people forget that the PS3 sold like 70m systems and the Xbox 360 is only at 76m itself, they are pretty close to parity and I wouldn't declare either one a "winner" this gen. That's despite the PS3 have a higher price tag the majority of the time. In fact this whole gen was really weird thanks to the Wii undercutting everyone. Microsoft made money on the Xbox 360 but it's peanuts compared to their traditional revenue sources and Sony had other products lumped in with the PS3 dragging it down, I'm not sure where it stands on profitability.

There is also no telling how many of those 76m 360's were sold to the EXACT SAME PEOPLE after their console red ringed. Because I know people who were so addicted to shit like Halo and COD they didn't want to wait the month or more for them to send the box and send their console back, so they just went and bought an entire new console (Myself included, my system Red Ringed as soon as I got Halo Reach and I just went and bought a new one) but one of which I knew personally went through 4 360's, just to play COD, that is literally the only game he plays, now he plays it on PS3. So I don't trust that Microsoft actually beat Sony in "actual" install base this Gen to begin with. The numbers are skewed.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 15:28.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 15:01 fujiJuice

As for video apps and stuff, IE only came to the 360 in the last two years and the rest are ok but I'm not paying for Live to get them. Every BluRay player, Smart TV and etc are doing that now, it's not going to remain a big deal for either console much longer. Even at $30x7 years of ownership you're talking an extra $210 on top of the console asking price. Sure it's not a large amount of money but when your competitors will do it for free, well *shrug*. They got away with it because the PS3 interface was so poor this gen, I'm not sure that will be true this time around. I'm surprised Netflix let them gate it in the first place, some money must have changed hands there.

Yeah, I agree, and I would consider the cost a ripoff, if I didn't use it so much, to the point where I feel I can justify it. If I had to pay monthly, it would probably be a bigger issue, since I would be reminded every month. Buying the year pass for $30 is a set it and forget it kind of thing.

You are right about every media device having those options though, but I use my PS3 as a BluRay player, and my TV is from right before they started doing that, and it is Samsung 52" so I can't replace it cheaply. Devices that I have seen with those capabilities, from friends, or my bedroom TV, are usually hard to use and slow from my experience, but I am sure that will improve with time as well.

Regardless, I don't see myself getting the next generation unless there is truly a feature (game) I must have, I doubt it though. At the very least not until they are well along in their life cycle.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo