Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released

EA has updated SimCity to version 1.4, and this forum post has the patch notes. Meanwhile, SimCity Update #2 from Lucy has the latest from Maxis on adding server capacity, apologizing for downtime invoked as original servers are taken offline one by one as part of an upgrade process. Finally, EA's SimCity account tweets about the possibility that they will eventually remove the online requirement for the new SimCity to earn back gamer's trust following its unsuccessful launch, though this won't be right away (thanks nin). Word is:

We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we'll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

16. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:35 Ray Marden

Maybe they can trot out Cliffy B. and sell it as a value-added DLC?
I would like to play a new SimCity, but not this way.
Glad to know they have no intention of fixing the game's biggest bug,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:31 NKD

Redmask wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:21:
NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:16:
The difference being that people actually want to play Simcity, apparently, as the massive need for additional servers seems to reveal. Spore was a disappointing game that people tired of after a day of playing. And even then it sold a couple million copies.

Totally flawed assumption without any sales figures or access to insider information. You assume that EA was competent in its server infrastructure and everything points to the opposite. You assume gamers are beating down the servers in huge droves when for all we know EA simply couldn't service a half million sales.

Given their very limited beta periods, it's more likely they went with the bare minimum to meet preorder demand then undershot it because they're cheap and fuck up all of their launches.

It doesn't seem like a very likely scenario that we'll end up finding that the game sold poorly. Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

14. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:27 gilly775

nin wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:16:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:51:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.
They haven't.

That and it's 3 machine activation limit are why I never bought it, despite it looking really neat...would love to play it, but not on those terms.

They did remove the always on requirement.

EA should have just done the right thing and made this offline with an online MP component. I hope they do revert because I would gladly by the game.

13. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:21 Redmask

NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:16:
The difference being that people actually want to play Simcity, apparently, as the massive need for additional servers seems to reveal. Spore was a disappointing game that people tired of after a day of playing. And even then it sold a couple million copies.

Totally flawed assumption without any sales figures or access to insider information. You assume that EA was competent in its server infrastructure and everything points to the opposite. You assume gamers are beating down the servers in huge droves when for all we know EA simply couldn't service a half million sales.

Given their very limited beta periods, it's more likely they went with the bare minimum to meet preorder demand then undershot it because they're cheap and fuck up all of their launches.

12. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:16 nin

Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:51:
I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.
They haven't.

That and it's 3 machine activation limit are why I never bought it, despite it looking really neat...would love to play it, but not on those terms.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

11. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:16 NKD

Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:39:
NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:29:
The problem is that once the server issues are gone, the motivation to complain goes with it. Sure, they gotta be online, but if the servers are working, they aren't going to be nearly as mad about it and are more likely to overlook the issue. :/
Remember Spore? It took nearly five years to climb from a one star rating on Amazon to a measly 3 star rating. Sim City Online will suffer the same fate.

And remember what EA wanted from Spore? Being the new The Sims with tons of addons and stuff to sell? The second (!) addon was to be released in 2009, then in 2012 and now it has vanished without notice.

Sim City WILL suffer the same fate. EA will cancel this game without any offline mode in two years.

Gamers have a weakness that lets publishers walk all over them: They aren't willing to put the game down. They will complain til they are blue in the face, they will go on Amazon or Metacritic and give a zero score that says "FVCK EA" fifty times.

But what do they do afterwards? A few might get a refund, but most go spam the Simcity servers some more trying to get in because by the gods they paid $60 and they are going to get their moneys worth out of the game, even if it sends entirely the wrong message to EA.

You can't go around talking about how crack is bad for you, if you've still got the pipe in your hand. Gamers are going to have to be willing to actually NOT FUCKING PURCHASE these games in the first place. Amazon and Metacritic User Score mean nothing to EA, absolutely nothing. All that matters to EA is if they are making money. And after the dust settles, and they start shitting out mediocre content for Simcity, these drones are going to lap it up like one of those funny cat videos where they stick their head under the faucet.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:16 deqer

Redmask wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:13:
Just lip service and marketing shit, let's see some action.

There will be no action. You kidding? They will never turn "ON" offline-mode; and even if they considered to, I bet you the developers/programmers would say "NO" to their Managers.

Just look at what EA said: "We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we'll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts."

You can see the bullshit laced in that sentence. They will not do it. It's just fluff to keep the sheeple calm.

9. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:13 Redmask

Just lip service and marketing shit, let's see some action. I doubt it will ever happen, they're just trying to defuse the shitstorm.  

8. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:51 Kajetan

They haven't.

7. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:47 Quboid

There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

- Quboid

6. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:42 deqer

Win back our trust? wtf? Trust for what?

How does this change anything? You're just going to switch online-only back "ON" afterwards anyways, so where will be then?

We'll back where we started: Online-only DRM, and that means:
- You cannot play the game if the servers are having issues.
- You cannot play the game if your connection is having issues.
- You cannot play SimCity in a few years from now when EA shuts down the servers and sells you SimCity 2, and you lose everything you worked on.

Total sham.

5. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:39 Kajetan

NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:29:
The problem is that once the server issues are gone, the motivation to complain goes with it. Sure, they gotta be online, but if the servers are working, they aren't going to be nearly as mad about it and are more likely to overlook the issue. :/
Remember Spore? It took nearly five years to climb from a one star rating on Amazon to a measly 3 star rating. Sim City Online will suffer the same fate.

And remember what EA wanted from Spore? Being the new The Sims with tons of addons and stuff to sell? The second (!) addon was to be released in 2009, then in 2012 and now it has vanished without notice.

Sim City WILL suffer the same fate. EA will cancel this game without any offline mode in two years.

4. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:34 ASeven

SimCity simulation engine at its best!

http://youtu.be/-d0b41H-Lnk
http://youtu.be/g418BSF6XBQ

3. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:29 NKD

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:24:
Alright, nerds, the thing you should NOT do right now is walk away, mumbling "oh, okay, finally..." KEEP UP THE PRESSURE until they deliver!

2. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:28 007Bistromath

This seems like a great opportunity for some enterprising hacker to work out exactly what needs to be done to dike out the online functionality, thus showing how lazy and obstinate EA is almost definitely being by "looking into it."  

1. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:24 jacobvandy

Alright, nerds, the thing you should NOT do right now is walk away, mumbling "oh, okay, finally..." KEEP UP THE PRESSURE until they deliver!  

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo