Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released

EA has updated SimCity to version 1.4, and this forum post has the patch notes. Meanwhile, SimCity Update #2 from Lucy has the latest from Maxis on adding server capacity, apologizing for downtime invoked as original servers are taken offline one by one as part of an upgrade process. Finally, EA's SimCity account tweets about the possibility that they will eventually remove the online requirement for the new SimCity to earn back gamer's trust following its unsuccessful launch, though this won't be right away (thanks nin). Word is:

We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we'll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

36. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 19:53 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:28:
NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:31:
Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

Don't you go dissing the Commodore 64 now!

He was mistaken... he meant TRS-80.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 19:49 TurdFergasun

Redmask wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:42:
Before you go on a big rant about how gamers are gullible twits, at least wait to see a single sales figure.

i think there's enough precedent here where we can safely call that one early.

34. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:53 Yakubs

Seems fairly obvious to me that they planned on putting in an offline mode at some point all along (once the DRM is less important than squeezing out marginal sales) and they're only announcing it this early to try to calm the hordes.

Similar to how to Blizzard claimed D3's online-only aspect was mandatory and yet are turning it off for the console version.

33. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:42 Redmask

NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:34:
What evidence do we have for YOUR assumption of poor sales?

I never said it sold poorly, I have no idea why you keep trying to put words in my mouth. As for what evidence there is to support their mismanagement and poor infrastructure, I think the entire debacle is pretty indicative. Even at usual offpeak hours before the international launch they were having problems major problems which indicates infrastructure problems not linked to demand. They didn't have a comprehensive beta and are paying the price.

I think it's far more likely the game sold moderately and EA fucked up the launch back to front than it is the game sold 10 million copies and everyone bought it despite saying they wouldn't. Before you go on a big rant about how gamers are gullible twits, at least wait to see a single sales figure.

32. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:34 NKD

Redmask wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:11:
It doesn't seem like a very likely scenario that we'll end up finding that the game sold poorly. Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

Nice try with the hyperbole but that's not what I said, you're dodging. I was contesting your flawed assumption that the game is a victim of its own success, that somehow its oversold and demand is driving the games problems. Given everything we've seen so far, it's actually more likely that its sold moderately and buckled under its mismanagement and poor infrastructure.

What evidence do we have for YOUR assumption of poor sales? I'd LOVE for you to be right, and that people were smart enough to avoid this mess, but it doesn't seem that way.

Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:29:
Btw, as much as they try to, EA still hasn't managed to equal that fantastic time when they "released" an expansion for UO, and said expansion had a note in the box that said "We're still working on it. You will be able to download it when it's done."

I wish I could remember which expansion that was...

Creston

Ah poor UO, the most mismanaged MMO of all time. I'm surprised it's still running.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

31. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:29 Creston

Btw, as much as they try to, EA still hasn't managed to equal that fantastic time when they "released" an expansion for UO, and said expansion had a note in the box that said "We're still working on it. You will be able to download it when it's done."

I wish I could remember which expansion that was...

Creston

30. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:28 ASeven

Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

Don't you go dissing the Commodore 64 now!

29. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:17 deqer

Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:10:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

Maybe if you researched it, but who does that?

I'm guessing the game cover does not say "SimCity Online", which is why people are fooled into buying it. People don't think twice because it's the SimCity franchise, which is exactly why EA used SimCity to introduce their online-only DRM methods. EA knew people wouldn't think twice about it because it says "SimCity" on the cover, because "SimCity" is such a popular franchise.

Someone is probably going to tell me that "it says online connection required on the cover", yes, but that is in "fine print"(burried in bottom corner of game cover, typed at font-size 4). The whole point of "fine print" is so that the customer doesn't see/read it.

Anyways.

"Win your trust back." lulz. Trust for what? What does that mean. Does it mean we will trust EA to use lube this time when they pound our asses? *ramble* *ramble*

28. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:16 Sepharo

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:13:
I seem to recall there being lip-service to some sort of semi-offline mode when people were basically calling out this exact situation likely to happen... The interview was posted here, but I can't recall who or when it was saying it.

They said that you would not be kicked out of the game if the connection was lost. Which is partly true, from what I've heard sometimes it kicks you and other times it lets you continue playing but the catch is that no progress is saved.

27. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:13 Ceribaen

I seem to recall there being lip-service to some sort of semi-offline mode when people were basically calling out this exact situation likely to happen... The interview was posted here, but I can't recall who or when it was saying it.

I passed on it the second I heard about the always-on, no saves/reloads/random city destruction. That to me is not SimCity.

26. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:11 Redmask

It doesn't seem like a very likely scenario that we'll end up finding that the game sold poorly. Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

Nice try with the hyperbole but that's not what I said, you're dodging. I was contesting your flawed assumption that the game is a victim of its own success, that somehow its oversold and demand is driving the games problems. Given everything we've seen so far, it's actually more likely that its sold moderately and buckled under its mismanagement and poor infrastructure.

25. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:10 Sepharo

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:42:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

You passed on Anno 2070 but bought this Simcity?

Gamers are funny.

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

24. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:06 NKD

Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:01:
Ray Marden wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:35:
Maybe they can trot out Cliffy B. and sell it as a value-added DLC?

I like that you refer to cliffyb as it, and I like the idea of selling it as DLC. I'm not sure I'd call it a value-add, though.

A value-loss DLC?

Creston

Ah yes, Cliffy B

http://i.imgur.com/LY1z3ol.gif

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

23. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 18:01 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:35:
Maybe they can trot out Cliffy B. and sell it as a value-added DLC?

I like that you refer to cliffyb as it, and I like the idea of selling it as DLC. I'm not sure I'd call it a value-add, though.

A value-loss DLC?

Creston

22. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:58 Creston

It's truly just a never-ending comedy of retards at EA. I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE to run SimCity offline, EA?

Btw, don't expect this to happen until after they switch the servers off.

What a bunch of clowns.

Creston

21. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:58 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:42:
There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

Gamers are funny.

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public.

- Quboid

20. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:55 Dev

Redmask wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:13:
Just lip service and marketing shit, let's see some action. I doubt it will ever happen, they're just trying to defuse the shitstorm.
^ This

19. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:52 Steele Johnson

I'm glad I avoided this steaming pile. What a train wreck! But I do love how embarrassing it is for EA!

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58.

18. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:42 zombiefan

Aw, what's the matter EA? Getting the suckers to buy the game isn't enough, you want to try to get the smart gamers too? Greedy.

BAD EA! NO DOLLAR FOR YOU! COME BACK, ONE YEAR!

17. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 17:42 Dmitri_M

Gamers are funny.

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo