Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released

EA has updated SimCity to version 1.4, and this forum post has the patch notes. Meanwhile, SimCity Update #2 from Lucy has the latest from Maxis on adding server capacity, apologizing for downtime invoked as original servers are taken offline one by one as part of an upgrade process. Finally, EA's SimCity account tweets about the possibility that they will eventually remove the online requirement for the new SimCity to earn back gamer's trust following its unsuccessful launch, though this won't be right away (thanks nin). Word is:

We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we'll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts.

View
76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

56. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 08:17 yuastnav

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 08:01:
[...]
^ NKD, I am opening a game dev studio and I wish to hire you as lead director to a variety of games, for your post demonstrates what I thought was a lost character trait amongst the 7 billion people alive today. Thank god I am not alone in thinking about what is epically wrong with the gamer audience of today's day and age. Finally some substance showing after a long wrath of stupidity rage out there.

EA needs to get with the program, keep on voicing people !

You do know that not all gamers are completely shallow when it comes to principles, right? It's a minority but I don't think it is as bad as you make it out to be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 08:01 Optional nickname

NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:16:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:39:
NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:29:
The problem is that once the server issues are gone, the motivation to complain goes with it. Sure, they gotta be online, but if the servers are working, they aren't going to be nearly as mad about it and are more likely to overlook the issue. :/
Remember Spore? It took nearly five years to climb from a one star rating on Amazon to a measly 3 star rating. Sim City Online will suffer the same fate.

And remember what EA wanted from Spore? Being the new The Sims with tons of addons and stuff to sell? The second (!) addon was to be released in 2009, then in 2012 and now it has vanished without notice.

Sim City WILL suffer the same fate. EA will cancel this game without any offline mode in two years.

The difference being that people actually want to play Simcity, apparently, as the massive need for additional servers seems to reveal. Spore was a disappointing game that people tired of after a day of playing. And even then it sold a couple million copies.

Gamers have a weakness that lets publishers walk all over them: They aren't willing to put the game down. They will complain til they are blue in the face, they will go on Amazon or Metacritic and give a zero score that says "FVCK EA" fifty times.

But what do they do afterwards? A few might get a refund, but most go spam the Simcity servers some more trying to get in because by the gods they paid $60 and they are going to get their moneys worth out of the game, even if it sends entirely the wrong message to EA.

You can't go around talking about how crack is bad for you, if you've still got the pipe in your hand. Gamers are going to have to be willing to actually NOT FUCKING PURCHASE these games in the first place. Amazon and Metacritic User Score mean nothing to EA, absolutely nothing. All that matters to EA is if they are making money. And after the dust settles, and they start shitting out mediocre content for Simcity, these drones are going to lap it up like one of those funny cat videos where they stick their head under the faucet.

^ NKD, I am opening a game dev studio and I wish to hire you as lead director to a variety of games, for your post demonstrates what I thought was a lost character trait amongst the 7 billion people alive today. Thank god I am not alone in thinking about what is epically wrong with the gamer audience of today's day and age. Finally some substance showing after a long wrath of stupidity rage out there.

EA needs to get with the program, keep on voicing people !

54. Im not buy SimCity Online Mar 11, 2013, 07:23 Tim Collins

d3 was fail because of this, this game is a fail because of this. Watch the dlc flood in lol......  

53. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 06:27 Dev

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public.
Even steam will let you cancel pre-orders.

52. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 05:01 Arithon

They started the sentence with "we have no intention of" which summarise their customer service policy in a nutshell. Start any sentence about what EA should do and you have your answer.

e.g.
"We have no intention of offering refunds"
"We have no intention of making Sim City offline"
"We have no intention of changing our policy on screwing games with DRM"

See?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

51. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 02:39 Flo

Too lazy to buy / implement some Azure or AWS, EA? This is 2013 - no excuse for that.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

50. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:42 Beelzebud

Seems like in the long run this DRM will cost them more than the piracy.

I mean let's get real. The old games were open to piracy and yet the company still made millions of dollars.

49. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:13 Sepharo

entr0py wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 01:07:
Ventura wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 22:15:
It's all such a damn shame, because, server problems aside (ok, and simulation issues), there's a phenomenal game underneath it all.

Yeah, if it weren't for the small maps and always online nonsense it would be a pretty worthy game. Actually, I think the two problems are directly related; we saw from them patching out cheetah speed that much of the simulation happens on their servers. I think it's extremely likely that cities have such a small size cap only to manage server load.

I'm pretty sure it's just the region stuff that happens on their servers. Problem is that they've wired that region stuff into everything and when it's down not everything handles it gracefully. Sims, demand, pollution, etc will actually transfer from city to city in addition to the obvious stuff like trade and resource agreements.

48. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 01:07 entr0py

Ventura wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 22:15:
It's all such a damn shame, because, server problems aside (ok, and simulation issues), there's a phenomenal game underneath it all.

Yeah, if it weren't for the small maps (to manage server load) and always online nonsense it would be a pretty worthy game. EA has really managed to abort a winner.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 01:12.

47. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 23:04 D4rkKnight

What also sucks is that they are now spending all of their time fixing these server issues when they should (and would if it wasnt online only) be patching the simulation issues. It could be awhile before this game plays like it should - let alone WORKS.  

46. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 22:15 Ventura

45. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 22:12 Prez

But, but... the game was built from the ground up to be an online game! There's just NO WAY to do an offline mode. The idiot PR person said so!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 21:31 jacobvandy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 21:17:
"Look into" goes something like this:

Suit 1 sitting in meeting: Can we do offline?
Suit 2 sitting in metting: Yes.
Suit 1: ok, well we aren't going to. Next topic, bonuses....

*Insert overused, unfunny meme of guy being thrown out office window for suggesting common sense*

43. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 21:17 xXBatmanXx

"Look into" goes something like this:

Suit 1 sitting in meeting: Can we do offline?
Suit 2 sitting in metting: Yes.
Suit 1: ok, well we aren't going to. Next topic, bonuses....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

42. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 21:13 Julio

It's a Vic 20 EA will look into an offline mode, ok they're now done looking into it and not changing anything.  

41. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 20:46 ASeven

wtf_man wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 19:53:
ASeven wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:28:
NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:31:
Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

Don't you go dissing the Commodore 64 now!

He was mistaken... he meant TRS-80.

Don't you go dissing the TRS-80 either!

40. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 20:18 Rattlehead

I guess you won't be getting my money "anytime soon"  

39. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 20:13 Dmitri_M

Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:42:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

You passed on Anno 2070 but bought this Simcity?

Gamers are funny.

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public.

Well one thing I can say for Anno 2070. Even with it's DRM at least the game isn't buggy. In fact it's a damn good game. If this new Simcity was anything as good as the earlier versions I might still consider buying it regardless of the always on requirement. But everything I've read about the actual game does not make me want to purchase it.

38. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 19:58 Cutter

Yakubs wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:53:
Seems fairly obvious to me that they planned on putting in an offline mode at some point all along (once the DRM is less important than squeezing out marginal sales) and they're only announcing it this early to try to calm the hordes.

Similar to how to Blizzard claimed D3's online-only aspect was mandatory and yet are turning it off for the console version.

And this is why you tell both of them to go fuck themselves. That's what the Dude would do.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

37. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 19:57 Bhruic

"We looked into it and decided we didn't want to do it. Trust restored, right guys? Guys?"  

76 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo