Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted

The Sale on Steam on Max Payne 3 has exhausted their supply of CD Keys for the game, in an odd shortage of the digits required to authenticate the shooter sequel. Word is: "We are currently out of CD Keys. More CD Keys have been requested and will delivered once available." This does not seem to be comfort to the participants in the Max Payne 3 Steam Community, were unhappiness abounds. Thanks Rowe.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

25. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 22:01 cronik

siapnar wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 21:41:

Just remake MP1 & 2 with the MP3 engine and I'll pay 60 bucks each

I replayed MP1 & 2 recently and it was seriously good fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 21:41 siapnar

I was just playing some of it, and yes, it's true, the cutscenes really rip you out of the immersion.
And yea, the story is pretty balls. It's too convoluted and just plain stupid.
The gunplay though, remains awesome as hell

Just remake MP1 & 2 with the MP3 engine and I'll pay 60 bucks each

I have projectile dysfunction.

23. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 21:20 xXBatmanXx

Panickd wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 19:53:
Dev wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:13:
deqer wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:44:
Ran out of CD keys?

My god... how pathetic has gaming become these days...
Its happened before on a popular sale (GMG has run out of keys before, and so has steam), and will happen again.

This actually happens on a pretty regular basis with the spring/summer/winter sales and over weekends. If it happens during the week it's a trivial thing for someone to notice and get more keys into the system before anything gets disrupted but good luck getting anything like that solved over a weekend (or longer over holidays). And every single time it happens people take to the forums and scream bloody murder saying stupid things like, "I'll never buy another Steam game as long as I live because of this bullshit!" only to completely forget it all by the end of business Monday when all the new keys go into the system.

? Who cares. You have had so long to buy the game, then rage when it is on sale and you can't buy it? boohooo. Stores run out of copies to. Part of life. First come first served.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

22. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 20:31 Krovven

Gipson wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 20:12:
But not being able to skip cutscenes immediately made me ragequit the New York Minute mode.

There's a "<press Enter logo> Skip" icon in the lower right corner of cutscenes once the next level has loaded in the background. The game used cutscenes to hide loading screens. Would you really rather sit there and watch a loading screen, then goto a cutscene that you can skip? I'm going to assume the answer is no. I wish most games did this. It makes the games that do this, flow so much better. Maybe this isn't available in the New York Minute mode (haven't tried it), but it certainly is in the Story mode.

Flatline, you seem to recall the story relatively well except for one major point of your complaining. He was beating himself up because he failed to protect those that he was hired to protect, just like he was incapable of protecting his family...DESPITE being a bad-ass (as we see him). He partially blames being drunk on the job for his failures, quits drinking...then with a clearer head starts to over-analyze his faults. He does not see himself as a bad-ass that can take on dozens of gunman, when the outcome is he fails to protect those he is supposed to and lives himself.

21. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 20:12 Gipson

enjoyed MP3 a lot but not being able to skip cutscenes immediately made me ragequit the New York Minute mode. dying and repeating the level and watching the cutscenes again and again is so tiresome.

the game was fun but short

20. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 20:09 Rattlehead

Ran out of CD keys?

Not as pathetic as you.

19. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 20:01 Jerykk

MP3 felt more like a Michael Mann movie than a Max Payne game. Gone were the poetically melodramatic language, comic book panels and piano/strings-based score. If Tony Scott and Michael Mann ever got together to make a game, MP3 would be it.  

18. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 19:53 Panickd

Dev wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:13:
Ran out of CD keys?

Its happened before on a popular sale (GMG has run out of keys before, and so has steam), and will happen again.

This actually happens on a pretty regular basis with the spring/summer/winter sales and over weekends. If it happens during the week it's a trivial thing for someone to notice and get more keys into the system before anything gets disrupted but good luck getting anything like that solved over a weekend (or longer over holidays). And every single time it happens people take to the forums and scream bloody murder saying stupid things like, "I'll never buy another Steam game as long as I live because of this bullshit!" only to completely forget it all by the end of business Monday when all the new keys go into the system.

17. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 19:24 Kajetan

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:30:
I don't see how they thought it would be some blockbuster hit.
Me neither. Funny thing is ... MP1 was a surprise hit, MP2 was a commercial failure. And suddenly MP3 was supposed to have the potential of massive mainstream sucess? Max Payne was always a typical cult hit, a dedicated niche game for a dedicated niche audience. Max Payne never was a franchise with the potential for being the next GTA or CoD.

16. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:30 Beelzebud

Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:21:
siapnar wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:00:
Kajetan wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:20:
It isnt. MP3 was, compared to its long and costly development, a commercial failure. One little Steam sale ten months after release doesnt change anything.
I assumed, since I've seen it in the Steam Top 10 many times, that it was selling well.
Maybe it was a respectable seller on Steam, but only 2.5 mio. copies sold on 360 and PS3 since the release is NOT a success, when you consider the high developement and marketing costs. Rockstar simply overestimated the desire for a new MP game, therefore letting the game cost way too much.

I don't see how they thought it would be some blockbuster hit. The only reason the original Max Payne got so much hype was because their constipated character rode the Matrix bullet-time gravy-train. I remember when they debuted Max Payne, bullet-time was the feature they hyped the most, simply because Matrix came out earlier that year.

15. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:30 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:08:
Techie714 wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:26:
I enjoyed MP3 thought it was a good game. I know some thought the game was lacking.

It's not so much that it was lacking. Lengthwise it was pretty good, the story was decent, the action is balls-to-the-walls Max Payne, and it's a genuinely difficult game, especially at Hard.

It's just that the game NEVER.EVER.EVER.STOPS interrupting you every 10 seconds with a fucking cutscene. Empty hallway? Cutscene of Max walking through the empty hallway. Door? Cutscene of Max opening the door. Group of baddies in a room? Cutscene of Max WALKING INTO THE FUCKING ROOM with his dick out and going "HIYA FELLAS! WHY YOU SHOOT AT MAX?!"

Ugh. I hate games that take away your control constantly. At one point you're in this bar in this shitty favela, talking to some dude, and you see four bad guys come in.

Cutscene unfolds of Max trying his best to make the bad guys leave him alone, which, surprise surprise, doesn't work. Queue you being given control while a baddie with a sawed-off shotgun fires at you. You have approximately 0.5 seconds to initiate a shootdodge or you're dead. And even then you're in bad shit because it's a small bar and the bad guys don't fuck around.

Why couldn't this simply unfold in-game? So if I want to see the 'cutscene', it acts out in-game, but at any one point I can choose to just open fire. Because I would have opened fire the second those bad guys walked in the door.

NOOOOPE.

Fuck. I tried to replay it a few months ago, stopped after about half an hour and my 30th cutscene.

It's a good GAME, when it allows you to play it. Sadly, that's only for about 20% of the entire time you'll spend in it.

Creston

That's totally because of the console port limitations. Those levels are about as big as modern consoles can support.

My problem is that this isn't Max Payne, it's Die Hard without the humor, and the writers truly didn't get Max.

About a third of the way through the game I was fucking done with hearing his self-loathing bullshit, talking about how he's some fat old drunk with no game, and then the cutscene would end and I'd fucking take on 20 paramilitary guys without taking a scratch in a ballet of death, and the next cutscene he's moaning his fucking ass off about how pathetic he is again. Total disconnect of game from story.

I was waiting for the game to get all Man on Fire and have Max accept that he is a fucking demon. For two games Max had been more or less denying his fate/nature, and it's that almost as much as his family that leads him to his drinking and downward spiral. He realizes on another level that he's doing shit he never really should be doing, but does it anyway because there's nothing else to do. But in MP3, that all goes out the window when it could have been a beautiful crystallization of Max finally selling his soul to the devil as it were because good people needed him to be a bad man. But it never happens. The inch-thick layer of self pity never lets Max be Max.

The plot was also insanely complicated to the point of only being understandable moment to moment. The overall plot I guess is

Spoiler:
The brother wants the other brother's money, so he can run for some government office, and is involved in organ traffiking, and... other shit. It's all kind of a smear.

Compared to taking down a government backed drug cartel in the first game and the fucking Illuminati in the second game, this story, while "grittier", is kind of a letdown.

The action though was great, the gunplay a lot of fun, and aside from the boring-as-fuck favala/paramilitary slum levels were interestingly designed and pleasing to move through.

As a 3rd person shooter it's good stuff, as a Max Payne game... it's just... not there. Rockstar made Die Hard: Brazil, and not MP.

14. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:30 Cyanotetyphas

Played it on hard, I liked it.

I think it sold in the 3-4 million range. Probably recouped their marketing budget at least.

I thought the gameplay was fun but it was sort of one note. For me, the cutscenes are what sold it. His constant yammering and the wierd grandpa is drunk flashes of text were very amusing to me and broke up the hours of shooting from cover very well.

Also on hard shoot dodge almost never worked because it took so long to get up if anyone was left alive they would nail you. I spent most of my time ducking behind cover and popping out for a slow mo headshot then snapping right back in. Especially later in the game.

Highlights - Slow mo hostage taker murder, melee range attacking for the first time, flavella chaos, that part in the airport where the song comes on

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

13. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:21 Kajetan

siapnar wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:00:
It isnt. MP3 was, compared to its long and costly development, a commercial failure. One little Steam sale ten months after release doesnt change anything.
I assumed, since I've seen it in the Steam Top 10 many times, that it was selling well.
Maybe it was a respectable seller on Steam, but only 2.5 mio. copies sold on 360 and PS3 since the release is NOT a success, when you consider the high developement and marketing costs. Rockstar simply overestimated the desire for a new MP game, therefore letting the game cost way too much.

12. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:13 Dev

Ran out of CD keys?

My understanding is that the IP owners provide steam with a database of keys to sell, and steam sells them one at a time. If the IP owners don't give enough keys, they run out.
So for instance, if MP3 sells 10,000 copies a month, they might provide steam with 50,000 keys and top it up every couple months. But when a big sale happens, it could be 10 times the normal sales. Plus, since the sales are usually on the weekends, the devs aren't usually at work to generate and send off another spreadsheet of keys.

Valve can generate their own keys for their own games though, so they've never run out for that.

I can understand the reasoning behind doing it this way with digital distribution in general, just to make sure that you get paid for every sale of every game (which means key). If you've given 50k keys and they want another batch of 50k yet you only got paid for 10k, then its time to ask some questions. We saw recently on blues how that one distribution company screwed over devs in non payment, so this isn't an unheard of issue.

Protip:
Keep an eye on your company's games on steam (and any digital distribution platform really, but especially on steam), make sure if there's a sale on, you are supplying enough keys to keep up with the demand. Digital sales are a 24/7 business, not a 5 days a week one.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 18:27.

11. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:08 Creston

Techie714 wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:26:
I enjoyed MP3 thought it was a good game. I know some thought the game was lacking.

It's not so much that it was lacking. Lengthwise it was pretty good, the story was decent, the action is balls-to-the-walls Max Payne, and it's a genuinely difficult game, especially at Hard.

It's just that the game NEVER.EVER.EVER.STOPS interrupting you every 10 seconds with a fucking cutscene. Empty hallway? Cutscene of Max walking through the empty hallway. Door? Cutscene of Max opening the door. Group of baddies in a room? Cutscene of Max WALKING INTO THE FUCKING ROOM with his dick out and going "HIYA FELLAS! WHY YOU SHOOT AT MAX?!"

Ugh. I hate games that take away your control constantly. At one point you're in this bar in this shitty favela, talking to some dude, and you see four bad guys come in.

Cutscene unfolds of Max trying his best to make the bad guys leave him alone, which, surprise surprise, doesn't work. Queue you being given control while a baddie with a sawed-off shotgun fires at you. You have approximately 0.5 seconds to initiate a shootdodge or you're dead. And even then you're in bad shit because it's a small bar and the bad guys don't fuck around.

Why couldn't this simply unfold in-game? So if I want to see the 'cutscene', it acts out in-game, but at any one point I can choose to just open fire. Because I would have opened fire the second those bad guys walked in the door.

NOOOOPE.

Fuck. I tried to replay it a few months ago, stopped after about half an hour and my 30th cutscene.

It's a good GAME, when it allows you to play it. Sadly, that's only for about 20% of the entire time you'll spend in it.

Creston

10. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 18:00 siapnar

I have projectile dysfunction.

9. Re: What's a CD? Mar 10, 2013, 17:52 Alamar

jimnms wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:05:
I notice a lot of people still use the term "CD Key" when games haven't been on CDs in a long time. Even when DVDs replaced CDs, people continued to call them "CD Keys."

A DVD is a CD : )

-Alamar

8. Re: Max Payne 3 Steam CD Keys Exhausted Mar 10, 2013, 17:20 Kajetan

siapnar wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
I loved the game. I'm glad it's selling well

7. Re: What's a CD? Mar 10, 2013, 17:14 Redmask

jimnms wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:05:
I notice a lot of people still use the term "CD Key" when games haven't been on CDs in a long time. Even when DVDs replaced CDs, people continued to call them "CD Keys."

There's a generation who use the term 'rewind' without having any concept of what it actually was. Many terms and labels in popular culture become outmoded but continue to have importance and are used regularly.

6. What's a CD? Mar 10, 2013, 17:05 jimnms

Steam Profile

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo