Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter

A Kickstarter campaign from indie developer teamPixel renews their efforts to crowdsource funding to acquire the Homeworld IP that is up for sale following the bankruptcy of THQ (thanks Ivan). They have some cash from an Indiegogo campaign and are now looking for at least $50K to support them acquiring the IP for the sci-fi RTS series and produce a new game for Windows/OS X ("together with the modding community"), a remake of the original for iOS/Android, and a Homeworld rerelease on GOG.com. These modest requirements are addressed by their explanation that there is additional funding for this and their plan to enlist volunteer support:

In addition to our own own private equity, lender, and investor financing, we're looking to the Kickstarter community to supplement our available funds for licensing and executing this project. Unlike a corporately-sponsored production, a teamPixel-produced Homeworld would be an indie studio undertaking which we believe will bring development closer to the gaming community than previous Homeworld productions. Our minimum goal is $50,000 to be added to our present funds, but we're hoping fans will help carry us beyond that threshold. This fundraiser is a huge opportunity for you to end the stagnation of a legendary franchise and steer the course of future games!

In addition, we're looking to the modding community for interested designers and developers to contribute to the undertaking. Along with our main staff, we already have a few modders in line to help, and together we can create a future for the franchise the fans have been waiting for while also giving the legacy games some well-deserved attention.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 11, 2013, 16:35 Boston

Why the hell are people funding this? Homeworld is my favorite RTS of all time, and I'd much rather see the IP get raped by big publishers than by these fools (or a fool) who's never made a game before and likely to just squat on the IP.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 11, 2013, 11:27 Creston

Speaking of Kickstarters, this Mouse looks pretty damn cool.

Creston

15. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 11, 2013, 08:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Ah, Kickstarter. For every good project, there seem to be 10 of these pyramid scheme wannabes cropping up. A mobile phone version of Homeworld? Heresy!

14. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 11, 2013, 00:37 Nucas

fuck these guys.  

13. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 21:51 jacobvandy

Where's the "Who we are and why you should care" section of the KS page? They should be obligated to have one of those, if they aren't already (for KS in general). Looks to me like they're mobile developers wanting to bank on the PC audience supporting a long-awaited sequel that they're planning to own the rights to. No thank you.  

12. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 21:27 Jerykk

Not particularly convincing. Nobody on the team worked on the previous games. In fact, nobody on the team has worked on any RTS ever.  

11. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 20:48 Krovven

I agree, this company is not who I want to see get the Homeworld IP, primarily because they do not seem to have much of a history. Their website is HORRIBLE!

I think this video was on the indiegogo campaign, they've posted different videos on the Kickstarter campaign. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcsXkj88-KQ

They were already working on their own space RTS and the demonstrations you see are their engine MODDED to look like Homeworld. For Homeworld 3, they will most likely only be rebranding their own game as Homeworld 3, not building it from the ground up as a proper sequel.

Way too much focus on bringing Homeworld to phones and tablets. That is such a bad idea and it already looks like a pain in the ass to use.

All I want to see Homeworld 1/2 and expansions, WON.net stripped out and Steamworks added for multiplayer. Sell it as a bundle for $20 and I'm all over it. And eventually a Homeworld 3.

I would rather see Relic/Sega or even Blackbird Interactive ( http://blackbirdinteractive.com/team/ ) pick up the IP. Wish we knew if either of them were making a play for it.

10. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 20:45 ShadyPete

give me money to buy an asset which i then own with your money.. thanks  

9. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 20:41 shinchan0s

Yeah, seriously, what's wrong with just making a game like Homeworld? Plus an iOS remake? GTFOOMHB.  

8. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 19:56 Cutter

Why buy the IP? Just use the money to do an homage instead. Definite pass.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 19:28 Beelzebud

Too many red flags for me to fork over cash. They're running two fundraisers (kickstarter and indiegogo), they have investors, have credit, but they tell absolutely nothing about their experience as game developers. Oh and they want to "include" the mod community.

Then they mention putting the old game on GoG, which I have a feeling is the real reason they want the rights. Since these types of projects have no consequence for failure, they could easily take everyone's money, buy the rights to the franchise, put it on GoG, and not do anything else but collect royalty checks.

I'll pass.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 2013, 19:33.

6. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 19:02 panbient

So many good intentions, so many more red flags.

I like how I can't find any sort of worthwhile information about the company on their own webpage. But it's got a bunch of cool looking buttons that open up banner graphics! Wooooooo..... watch me open my wallet for this company!

5. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 18:57 Nate

Do they have a good team for this?  

4. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 18:36 Sacrifice

I would prefer to see an HD upgrade of the original Homeworld. It was amazing its time. Interesting story.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

3. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 18:12 Creston

I wish them well, and I'll gladly buy a copy when it's available on Steam.

However, the fact they have a lender, and investor financing, and are going to be looking to the mod community to help make this, gives me very little hope that it'll come to fruition. Especially not without either the lender or investor demanding that it be online only or some other type of EA'ishness. (my new word for bullshit. Trying to see if it'll catch on.)

Creston

2. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 17:33 datachasm

agreed, very interested in seeing the IP continue, but have zero faith in what im seeing; very amateur presentation. maybe im wrong?  

1. Re: Homeworld IP & Games Kickstarter Mar 10, 2013, 16:25 nin

So who is TeamPixel? The page doesn't tell much about them - specifically why they should be the ones to make a new HW.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo